Riding The Twisties

GO OUT and buy "Sportriding Techinques" then read it and go practice.. just dont get in over your head from the start.

When we do our sunday ride we run thru a strech of road that is like an S for about 10 miles back and forth when I first started the good guys were running it in excess of 150. I could only see 120-130 and it was all I could do to stay in my lane. I practiced counter steering more agressive and now I'm running with the fast crowd and passing some with no problems. At these speeds it is harder to counter steer so not only do I push the bar on my corner side, I find myself pulling on the other bar. This has helped me alot in all corners. Now not only can I stay in my lane I can hold my line. Track days are a must!!!

um, I can definately attest to Raisin Cane being in the "fast" group
tounge.gif
  Makes me think of the story the guy on the yellow duc told me about the ride on the skyway we made that sat....  

We meet these guys up on the dragon at the overlook.  A guy on a yellow 748 duc comes over and was like umm, were you up on the skyway yesterday?  I said, yeah a bunch of us were, why?  He says we were all running pretty fast...100-120mph and thought we were "tearing it up".  Then out of no where this line of bikes shows up in our rear views.  This line of busa's went past us like we were standing still!  I was like, oh yeah, see that orange bike and the blackbird over there, it was those guys that passed you
biggrin.gif

counter steering
rock.gif
i not sure but i have found myself from time to time where i go into a right turn and the bike is say at a 50 degree angle but i am on the outside the left side of the bike not sure if this is what the counter steering would be or not i need diagrams .... brain not working .... arrggg

other thing i worry about is lowsiding due to the tires not gripping the road we have lots of slick roads around here
mad.gif

Jace, Counter steer is confusing to alot of people and I'm far from an instructor. but it goes like this. while you are driving in a straight line and without trying to lean turn the bars left a little the bike goes to the right. It sounds strange but you are always counter steering when turning and you don't even know it. Now while in a right hand sweeper at a mild speed think about what you are doing with the bars. You are leaning right and if you turn the bars a little left you will dip tighter into the Right hander try it. Again your in a right hand sweeper leaning right now push away from you with the right bar end (turning the bars left) the bike turns tighter to the right. Play with it you'll see. My uncle has been riding for 20 years on a HD and had no clue what counter steer was or that he was doing it all the time.

Hey Zuk, that was a blast I may be back up in Aug. We need to do it again.

<!--EDIT|Raising Cane
Reason for Edit: None given...|1087958673 -->

Hey RC, we should get something organized, like soon, for a fall trip up there. Sept would probably be the best time frame (not hot nutz, kids are in school then, etc)

Warbaby, you around? Anyone interested in a trip to the Gap in Sept?

I should say not "as" hot nutz.....cuz my guess is that it will still be plenty hot nutz in Sept up there.
wow.gif

Here is a question:

I feel I do everything correctly but still my toe is making contact before my knee.
This freaks me out (even with sidi race boots).
Is it that I am not extending my knee far enough or should I keep my feet tucked in more.
I dont have stock pegs (they are spiegler and have no "rubbing post".
I am worrying that my toe will catch and tear my foot off.
Or is my concern unfounded.
TIA!

I tried to read them all but didn't think I saw this point. The safest place for you to go and practice is at your local track. Usually there is an instructor there and you can get help from other riders.

Here is a question:

I feel I do everything correctly but still my toe is making contact before my knee.
This freaks me out (even with sidi race boots).
Is it that I am not extending my knee far enough or should I keep my feet tucked in more.
I dont have stock pegs (they are spiegler and have no "rubbing post".
I am worrying that my toe will catch and tear my foot off.
Or is my concern unfounded.
TIA!
For your knee to hit before your toe, you have to have proper 'racing' body position; to make a long explanation short, you basically need to be hanging off your bike, like you see the pro racers doing on tv. Although some might disagree, you only want to be doing this on a track, its just not practical on the street, and there's really no need for it. Racers do it because the more you hang off your bike, the less you need to lean it over, giving you more lean angle if you end up needing it, and the more traction you have. Also, how much you hang off depends on how quickly you need to turn the bike. On the street, for you to necessitate hanging off/getting your knee down, you'd have to be going a nice speed, and there's no place or time to do it. It also unsettles the bike, reduces your field of vision, and prevents you from reacting promptly in an emergency. The track is the place for that.
I don't mean to take a negative spin on this, but I see a lot of sport bike riders trying to act like racers on the streets by doing stuff like taking exit ramps at 70mph fully leaned over draggin knees. Yeah it looks cool, but if they hit a small patch of oil or gravel, the result could be disasterous.
As for your toe getting caught, if your wearing Sidi racing boots, you should have a toe slider...shouldn't get caught on anything...mine never did.
Also on the Busa, the pegs are set kind of low for comfort (unlike say a ZX-10R or GSXR). Rearsets should cure that aspect of it, allowing you to get your knee down well before your toe hits.

ummm...I think I was a little off track with my last post, so please disregard at least half of it. That's what I get for posting after the percocets have kicked in.
blush.gif

Back