A Thrilling Ride in Some Real Twisties

sageronin

Donating Member
Registered
like I did today, there's no time to stop for pictures. Shout out to 'MDSportTour' a group that let me tag along today. Wow what a ride! I met them at 7am and got back home at 6:30pm ... 431 miles of blissful riding ... will this smile ever go away ... nope I don't think so! We rode into the mountains west of Harrisonburg, WV and experienced everything from real tight switchbacks to long sweeping curves. These guys and girl ride extremely well. Thank goodness I was sweeper and didn't slow them down too much. I have so much more to learn about flogging the Busa through high speed twisties and today was my first lesson. Riding with this group will make me a much better rider ... no doubts. The Busa handled well and as my skill level increase, I'm thinking about doing some handling upgrades instead of purchasing a Turbo system. I love straight up speed and power, but my new passion is leaning into the curves. I can write a book here about the fun day I had, but I'll chill for now ... go grab a beer and reflect on a totally awesome day of riding ... dang I can't stop smiling
smile.gif

I'm so pissed I missed the ride but it sounds like I wasnt the only one. Did anyone else from the board make it?  I f**k'n knew it would be that kind of ride. Looked like a picture pefect day of riding.  That's the kind of riding that influenced me to change my suspension and wheels. This bike has so much more to offer than just straight line speed.
The first thing I recommend you do is to change the rear shock, and then the front forks. I dont know if you want to go as far as I did with the wheels but its really not that necessary. There is a reason why I say this. No matter what you do (and I've done just about all you can) its still not going to handle like something that weighs 100lbs less and a two inch shorter wheelbase. Take my word for it, buy a used R1 before you buy the wheels.

<!--EDIT|slowbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098061810 -->

DJ, sounds like you had an awesome time. Wish I could have made it. I know what you mean about leanin the busa. The more I do it the more I love it.

So that route was preaty beast uh. Dulimon, SlowBusa, UUBusa and who every else wants to join are hitting that route this Sunday the 24th. Can't wait, might need to take a day off to test it before Sunday. Anywho, glad ya'll had a great time......
Martin
biggrin.gif

I'm so pissed I missed the ride but it sounds like I wasnt the only one. Did anyone else from the board make it?  I f**k'n knew it would be that kind of ride. Looked like a picture pefect day of riding.  That's the kind of riding that influenced me to change my suspension and wheels. This bike has so much more to offer than just straight line speed.
The first thing I recommend you do is to change the rear shock, and then the front forks. I dont know if you want to go as far as I did with the wheels but its really not that necessary. There is a reason why I say this. No matter what you do (and I've done just about all you cant) its still not going to handle like something that weighs 100lbs less and a two inch shorter wheelbase. Take my word for it, buy a used R1 before you buy the wheels.
Thanks for the tip, I agree with you and that's exactly what I plan to do ... upgrade the suspension first. Yeah it was a very spirited ride ... much faster than the pace I set during the VA Fall Ride and nearly ten times as many curves than 211 and 33 on the east side of I-81.

DJ, sounds like you had an awesome time.  Wish I could have made it.  I know what you mean about leanin the busa.  The more I do it the more I love it.  

So that route was preaty beast uh.  Dulimon, SlowBusa, UUBusa and who every else wants to join are hitting that route this Sunday the 24th.  Can't wait, might need to take a day off to test it before Sunday.  Anywho, glad ya'll had a great time......
Martin
biggrin.gif
Yeah it was all good !! ... I'm traveling next weekend, so if you all do ride, make sure you ride both 250 and 33, they are connected by 220 on the west end and 81 on the east end. If you go past Monterey on 250, be on the lookout for loose gravel as soon as you hit the first curve. I recommend avoiding 250 west of Monterey if the gravel is still on the road ... it is a lot and it is too dangerous for bikes period!

DJ, sounds like you had an awesome time.  Wish I could have made it.  I know what you mean about leanin the busa.  The more I do it the more I love it.  

So that route was preaty beast uh.  Dulimon, SlowBusa, UUBusa and who every else wants to join are hitting that route this Sunday the 24th.  Can't wait, might need to take a day off to test it before Sunday.  Anywho, glad ya'll had a great time......
Martin
biggrin.gif
Yeah it was all good !! ... I'm traveling next weekend, so if you all do ride,  make sure you ride both 250 and 33, they are connected by 220 on the west end and 81 on the east end. If you go past Monterey on 250, be on the lookout for loose gravel as soon as you hit the first curve. I recommend avoiding 250 west of Monterey if the gravel is still on the road ... it is a lot and it is too dangerous for bikes period!
Thanks for the heads up!!!!! If I take off this week to pre-ride I'll get some pics.

Glad to hear you had a good run...I'm familiar with the roads in that area and they are FUN. THNX for the heads up on the gravel and that all of you had a "safe" ride.

Awesome DJ! Glad you had fun and learned even more than you already know...

I would have loved to go, but I knew I'd be holding everyone up...my slow twisty butt wouldn't be able to keep up! I'm still in training...gonna take me a while though!

Glad you had a blast and everyone made it back safely...
smile.gif

I am sorry i could not make it/ Found out the hard way this weekend my clutches are gone! Oh well. Back to the money tree again! dangit!
laugh.gif

I am sorry I missed it but ended up doing my one ride in Northen Jersey, nice twisties in the mountains, nice straits too. I ended up folloing another busa.
Temp was chilly and a couple time I had to stop quickly and lost the front twice!!! But I reacted quick enough to let off the front and put more pressure on the back and then the back started to slide sideways.

I should have gone south!!!
smile.gif

DJ....know ya know my problem...Speed is fun, but the twisties are interesting. I can't wait for track day in the spring.

Glad to hear you had a good run...I'm familiar with the roads in that area and they are FUN. THNX for the heads up on the gravel and that all of you had a "safe" ride.
Yeah it was a good run. I gained a lot of experience and runs like that will help me build up my confidence too. There were a lot of blind curves and I was a little tentative. I'll do better next time. I didn't reduce my chicken strips any further, but I rode within my limits and made it home safely.

I am sorry I missed it but ended up doing my one ride in Northen Jersey, nice twisties in the mountains, nice straits too. I ended up folloing another busa.
Temp was chilly and a couple time I had to stop quickly and lost the front twice!!! But I reacted quick enough to let off the front and put more pressure on the back and then the back started to slide sideways.

I should have gone south!!!
smile.gif
Glad you were able to get some riding in anyway. It would've been a very long trek for you some meet us in Frederick and then ride another 400 plus miles. We'll give you more notice next time because it is worth the trip!

like I did today, there's no time to stop for pictures. Shout out to 'MDSportTour' a group that let me tag along today. Wow what a ride! I met them at 7am and got back home at 6:30pm ... 431 miles of blissful riding ... will this smile ever go away ... nope I don't think so! We rode into the mountains west of Harrisonburg, WV and experienced everything from real tight switchbacks to long sweeping curves. These guys and girl ride extremely well. Thank goodness I was sweeper and didn't slow them down too much. I have so much more to learn about flogging the Busa through high speed twisties and today was my first lesson. Riding with this group will make me a much better rider ... no doubts. The Busa handled well and as my skill level increase, I'm thinking about doing some handling upgrades instead of purchasing a Turbo system. I love straight up speed and power, but my new passion is leaning into the curves. I can write a book here about the fun day I had, but I'll chill for now ... go grab a beer and reflect on a totally awesome day of riding ... dang I can't stop smiling
smile.gif
Way to go DJ! I wish I could have rode with you all. I need to improve my "twisties" skills. Maybe you can get some pics next time through.

I thought about a ride like that for our Fall ride but decided against it for a more tamer ride. I didn't know who all could keep up on such a demanding course (myself included).

Take care!

Tom.

I am sorry i could not make it/  Found out the hard way this weekend my clutches are gone!  Oh well.  Back to the money tree again! dangit!
laugh.gif
Dang Brian ... I hope you and your bike are okay. I imagine from your post that you're a hardcore rider ... are you gonna' go with an upgraded clutch or another stock clutch?

DJ....know ya know my problem...Speed is fun, but the twisties are interesting. I can't wait for track day in the spring.
Oh yes ... now I know. Paul, you would've been in heaven riding with these guys and girl yesterday. I'm with you on the track thing. I'll make sure my bike is properly prepped for Summit Point next spring also.

I'm fine. My wallet is not, but hey we can't take it with us. Might as well spend it on something you love to do......right?!
cool.gif

Back