Transporting the hayabusa

150 miles works for me only till the first stop - thereafter I have to make a stop every hour and a half to stretch my legs and back.

just finished off a 10 day 4000 mile grand tour through the midwest - 650 miles is a good distance to ride. You will definitely have fun. try to see if you can take some country roads instead of the boring interstates.

BTW, I am from India as well - which city are you from?

-Ankur

AS of now - I am riding. I cant say I am "thrilled" about it but I guess I should be...just a bit wary of all the sh*d that can go wrong.

And I HATE riding on le boring Interstates...
don't worry GS-its the closest thing to an 'adventure' most guys get these days...take a nice flash camera too-for those weird little moments that inexplicably happen on the road to anywhere far away...
biggrin.gif

to stay interested on Interstate....try standing on pegs while ridn n stretch out your legs, maybe do a few can-cans while passin PHP...
tounge.gif
j/k

i saw grab an ipod, or do what i did-find a vehicle traveling ahead on the very edge of view....and go git'er! seriously i play catch-the-car. maybe stupid but hey keeps me busy.

150 miles works for me only till the first stop - thereafter I have to make a stop every hour and a half to stretch my legs and back.

just finished off a 10 day 4000 mile grand tour through the midwest - 650 miles is a good distance to ride. You will definitely have fun. try to see if you can take some country roads instead of the boring interstates.

BTW, I am from India as well - which city are you from?

-Ankur
Born in Mumbai, raised in Chennai
smile.gif

You??

I'll see how long I can go. Carrying a bungee cord for some on the rest-stop stretch workouts
tounge.gif

i saw grab an ipod, or do what i did-find a vehicle traveling ahead on the very edge of view....and go git'er! seriously i play catch-the-car. maybe stupid but hey keeps me busy.
BigDiesel said:
don't worry GS-its the closest thing to an 'adventure' most guys get these days...take a nice flash camera too-for those weird little moments that inexplicably happen on the road to anywhere far away...
biggrin.gif

I guess you're right. I'll make an adventure of it. I have a job interview coming up the week after next...missing it will mean packing up my life of 4 years in USA and heading back to India. Not sure I want to do that just yet...need to stay alive for that interview
smile.gif

BigDiesel said:
to stay interested on Interstate....try standing on pegs while ridn n stretch out your legs, maybe do a few can-cans while passin PHP...
tounge.gif
j/k

You know...I have not done a single wheelie yet :o

Not that I tried...like the feeling of both wheels on the road
tounge.gif

I am carrying my Rio Karma (better than any ipod
tounge.gif
) and my Shure E4 headphones...I also have my laptop and CDMA internet kit from work...so I can browse the ORG during my rest-stops
smile.gif

Gettin the tires changed tomorrow and doing a final check-up and pack-up. Sleeping at 6:00pm and gearing up to ride out between 4:00 and 5:00 am.

I want to cross into Pittsburgh by 4:00pm at least...This way I can rest there for 1 hour before hitting the last 2 hours to Erie.

Stuff I am carrying:

* OEM tool kit
* Chain Lube
* WD-40
* Allen Key set
* Rear Seat (leaving the hump behind)
* 3 bottles of Hypotonic fluid
* 3 cans of Red Bull
* Candy + Granola Bars
* Aspirin, Elastic Bandage, anti-septic + hoemostatic wrap
* Canon A70 Digital Camera
* Spare batteries
* Flash-Light
* Rio Karma + Shure E4
* Riding directions + Map of the east
* Cell Phone + Charger
* CDMA Internet Kit
* 2 x Workout shorts
* 2 x Workout vests
* Cash + Credit Card + Documentation

Whatever else will fit into the Tri-Bag

I'll try to shop for wet-weather gear. If I cant find any...if it rains - I pull over and chill for a bit. With the kind of heat out there...the rain may be just the ticket. I need those High Visibility jackets though...lemme see if I can find one of those...

tounge.gif

tounge.gif

smile.gif

Gotta second the audio. Definitely kills the boredom.

One other thing I forgot to mention is cruise control. If you don't already have it, stop by your local hardware store, head for the plumbing isle, and try to find a #18 O-ring. Fits over the bar end and rests against the throttle grip. Not real accurate, (you can lose as much as 5-10 on uphills, or gain a whole lot downhill), but it really does the trick.

You wouldn't believe how much farther you can go when you can take both hands completely off the bars and lean back. It just does wonders.

Cheers!  
beerchug.gif

Glad to see your going to do your trip.  Do it at your own pace, and with lots of good experience here giving you good advice, you'll have a blast.  Plus think of all the new gear you now have an excuse to buy!

Suggestion>

Forget about that magic number 12 (hours) you have in your head. Just ride your ride 'till you get there.  You'll definitley enjoy it alot more and there will be no pressure to arrive "on time", leading to silly mistakes or uncomfortable (wet,cold, etc) riding which sucks.

Usually a road trip on a bike will take a bit more time than in a car anyways. Look around a little.  Take a couple of runs off the freeway and do a side road for an hour with no music. Tunes on the highway. Just break it up a bit.

Don't forget to take a few pics for us and keep us posted.

Check out this page;

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

race.gif

jump9.gif

Aargh...I have the Throttle Rocker: http://www.pashnit.com/hayabusa-mods.htm#rocker

I should have ordered the Throttlemeister
sad.gif
 Never thought about it until now...shucks...no local store carries it either
sad.gif

The rocker better work...:O
The Throttle Rocker will be a great addition.  Just be a little careful with it as it could feel sorta "funny" in the twisties. As you put pressure on the right bar, and consequently pesssure on the heel of your hand, you can push the rocker, and throttle, more than expected.

It can also rotate up a bit on it's own leaving you with some extra throttle your not aware of when you back off to a "normal" hand position .

Nothing to panic about, just a heads up. It's nice to have.

sad.gif

I would simply ride that trip.. Take a few breaks on a good day and enjoy the bike AND the view.. Just my 2 cents..

BUSAFETT

weather looking up again...no rain so far and no rain en-route so I am good to go. Headed out for some shopping for essentials...carrying 1 roll of toilet paper just in case
smile.gif

LOLOL
laugh.gif

I'll post pics of the prepped up bike later this evening...

Get the single ply, it'll be lighter and a smaller roll-  Unless you do shots of tabasco before you leave, you'll probably only have to take one dump the whole trip  
biggrin.gif

One thing I've noticed on my Busa, when on the way home after having a Hooters Buffalo Chicken sandwich-  Your riding position makes for additional torture when ya gotta go #2, cause your body's already assumed the position but you still gotta hold it.  I swear it's like a form of P.O.W. torture

BUSAFETT

<!--EDIT|BUSAFETT
Reason for Edit: "typo"|1152976171 -->

Back from the stealership - got a Dunlop Qualifier on the back and by god is it SLICK!!! I need to wear this bad-boy down before I take-off...They didnt have used rears
sad.gif
I would have preferred a rear with around 2K miles left on it and then change out both the front and rear...

Now I have to wait...

Mixed tires is not good according to some people - I doubt I will notice any ill effects on the interstate.

Set the correct tire pressures and adjusted the chain. Now I pack and leave at 4:00pm to Washington DC. From there I leave in the morning to Erie PA.

Shouldnt be too bad...

Well...I am in Washington DC right now...getting ready to catch a few ZZZs at a friends place. Took me 6 hours to get to DC from Raleigh NC. I stopped 3 times along the way (around 300 miles?) but one of the stops was really major - the others were just to loosen up and get re-hydrated.

In pretty bad shape now but nothing that a good night's sleep wont cure. Bike performed well. Magnetic tank bag held a LOT of gear and stayed put. No pics...too hot to be bothered
smile.gif

It rained for a bit and I LOVED IT...cooled the air down considerably and it was actually fun to scythe around in the wet...

I-95 sucks...

whate else??
smile.gif

Hmmm...gas stops suck - takes so long to de-gear and re-gear at each stop...

I carried two visors - one smoked and one clear. Very good decision and it worked out very well. Smoked during the day and clear in the evening/night...

drank enough water/electrolyte to drain a small swimming pool...spent a good 7 minutes getting rid of the excess from my system
smile.gif

More later...

smile.gif

smile.gif

Im in Erie. Made it here from DC in 5:15 minutes. Did enough speed on I-76 and I-79 to warrant a seat on the death-row. Blasted a dude going through his mid-life crisis and thinking his corvette could hang with me...sustained 1xx mph on I-79 for close to 1 hour without waking up the popos...

Second half of the ride was easier than the first. Most of my time was lost trying to get out of the DC traffic...which even on a weekend was HORRIBLE!!

After this 650+ mile trip - I am ready for more...:cool:

I rode 5:15 hrs from 12:00 noon on the hottest day in a long while. I was wearing my mesh jacket...thank god!

Back