Transporting a Busa in a P/U truck?

GSrider

Registered
Hello,

I'm heading down to Oregon to pick up the 2008 Busa I bought tomorrow and will be bringing it back in my F-150. A friend is going to build me a front wheel Chock to keep the front wheel centered in the bed but I'm interested in the best way to tie the bike in securely without damaging it for the 650 mile drive home? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, will the tailgate close, it's a long box?

thanks for the tips, Pat

Canyon Dancer Bar Harness II - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore love them made a 9 hour trip down to South Carolina with them, you just put the hooks in the holes and strap it down. you can get them at most motorcycle shops

DSCN2059.jpg

yeh canyon dancer 2 is the only way to go...ive had 3 bikes crammed into the back of my truck using them no prob...and that was a short bed with the tailgate down and tires just about of the end...best bet is to find somewhere to back up to so the ramp isnt at such an incline and if u cant find somewhere like that i always just pull my front tires up onto the biggest curb i can find...best to just have a wider ramp so u can just ride the bike up and dont have to push it

and also i always double strap each side of the canyon dancer just in case and just be sure you run a strap through the back tire or even hook one to each passenger peg to keep it from bouncing..and i would recommend using ratcheting straps not the one you just pull tight since its a long trip..and after you go down the road about 20 min or so i check everything to make sure its still tight..

and i wouldnt even worry about a wheel chuck ...just pull it in straight strap the front down first and the thing will not budge

I use a locking wheel chock up front (harbor freight, baxley, condor,...) which I strap into the bed. I use a single tie down on each rear peg to the front to keep the bike from hopping out of the chock. This is the GSXR, I do the Busathe same. I usually trailer rather than putting them ion the bed. I tie down on the trailer the same way.

DSCI0004.jpg

and also i always double strap each side of the canyon dancer just in case and just be sure you run a strap through the back tire or even hook one to each passenger peg to keep it from bouncing..and i would recommend using ratcheting straps not the one you just pull tight since its a long trip..and after you go down the road about 20 min or so i check everything to make sure its still tight..

and i wouldnt even worry about a wheel chuck ...just pull it in straight strap the front down first and the thing will not budge

I don't know about the Gen2, but you will break the front fender of a Gen 1 if you pull the tire up to the front of the bed.

it's the same on Gen 2. you need at least a 2X4 against the front of the bed. I would recomend a 2X6 or 2X8.

I don't know about the Gen2, but you will break the front fender of a Gen 1 if you pull the tire up to the front of the bed.

Another problem with strapping them down too tight with a bar harness is, it can cause the fork seals to start leaking. One of mine started weeping after a haul to the track, and it's a common problem with dirt bikes (there is an item called a "fork saver" to combat that problem in dirt bikes).
If I plan on doing anymore hauling, I'm going to get one of these.. Motorcycle Trailer Restraint-Pit Bull Motorcycle Trailer Restraints .. and make a removable mount system for it (I already have the blueprint in my head).

canyon dancer , you can get them at cycle gear for about $25 . Also use a 4x4 block so the front fender doesnt hit the front of the bed. Make sure you strap the back too

I never liked putting anything on my bars or front. Use a good wheel chock and tie the back down towards the front. As you tighten the straps the front will compress just a little, she will ride all day and you dont have to worry about stressing your forks or bars. Do whatever makes you feel ok about it, I am just telling you what I do.

2011-03-24_11-15-04_437.jpg

If they fit in my little GMC, it'll sure work fine in your Ford. Hey, what a coincidence, I traveled to Oregon a few years ago to buy my Busa from a guy in Portland! Have a fun run (BTW, great suggestion re: a 4x4 chunk in front of the front tire).
Doyle

P1000294.JPG

The gate should cloce on a long bed.

You got more than enough opions on tie downs... but if this is just a 1 time haul make sure you use good straps

Do not use these type of straps to secure your bike :laugh:

straps.jpg

Use a rachet style with the right weight/stress limit..

How are you going to get into the bed of the truck???

straps.jpg

i picked up a simple chock at harbor frieght...then i run my straps up and over the steering tripple (lower part and not over any cables or lines) then i ratchet down to the chock this way im not pulling on the handle bars...and i only slightly compress the front forks and then i strap the back slightly forward to hold into the chock...good and steady went to bash and HIH with no issues this way.

If weather will permit, why not ride the bike home from Oregon? IMHO, a road trip is the best way to get acquainted with your new Busa

If weather will permit, why not ride the bike home from Oregon? IMHO, a road trip is the best way to get acquainted with your new Busa

Don't you need to get bacj into your own state to register it and get a tag and insurance>?

in almost every state you have time at least 15 days to get it registered all you need is a bill of sale. As for the insurance i would get the vin from the seller and insure it before you ever haul or ride it back.

Front wheel chock and canyon dancer here. They make a rear wheel chock also that runs through the rear axle. Great set up. Drive carefully the Busa is heavy and will move around. Yep, make sure you have a little clearance between the front fender and bed.

Should have no problem. Here is a picture of mine when I transported it from VA to Tx last year. Even had luggage in the back and the tailgate closed, but I did have the front tire angled in the corner of the bed.

2010-07-29 12.35.20.jpg

Back