Loading bike in my truck

Chaney3000

Registered
I've searched and read all the relevant threads but none addressed my particular issue. Going out of town next weekend and need some advice on loading and securing bike.

I got a 2000 GMC 3500 8 ft bed and stock height. I got some Harbor Freight ramps that are tri fold that I plan on using to load. I have already come to the conclusion that I need to find a hill or incline to lower the tailgate to get the bike in the truck.

Now, my question is this, how do you guys secure the bike in the bed if you DON'T have the bed anchors in the bottom of the bed?

My truck only has the bed anchor/tie down points up on the rails. And the bike is lowered.

Need some help. Thanks.

I installed these. I didn't trust the washers so I used some steel on the under side of the bed for reinforcements. They are removable so you don't have big eye bolts coming out of your bed when you don't need to tie some thing down. It is not pictured but they come with black plastic screws to put in when you are not using the eye bolts. I used a set of 4 for my truck.

bed bolts.jpg

bed bolts.jpg

I got some "D" ring sets from harbor freight and drilled through the bed, then installed nuts, bolts,& washers to secure the brackets, like $5 a pair. Also a wheel chock from harbor freight.

A CANYON DANCER IS A MUST!!!!!! It's the best way to safely tie down the bike. Use the canyon dancer to hold the front and two straps to hold the rear. It's a no fail system

You missed my thread, but I bought a Harbor Freight front wheel chock and bolted it to a piece of plywood cut to fit my Ranger bed. I didn't have to drill the bed and it pulls in and out easy. I just store it when I don't need it. My Ranger bed came with eyelets front and rear. I hear I could just run one or two straps from the passenger pegs forward to secure the bike firmly into the chock, but I did that and use canyon dancer up front. Make sure you secure the big girl well. She will move around.

I installed these. I didn't trust the washers so I used some steel on the under side of the bed for reinforcements. They are removable so you don't have big eye bolts coming out of your bed when you don't need to tie some thing down. It is not pictured but they come with black plastic screws to put in when you are not using the eye bolts. I used a set of 4 for my truck.

View attachment 254964

Those look good. Haven't seen them around here. Where did you get them from? Also, what type of plate did you use under the truck as you said you didn't trust the washers? Would some larger washers work?

I got some "D" ring sets from harbor freight and drilled through the bed, then installed nuts, bolts,& washers to secure the brackets, like $5 a pair. Also a wheel chock from harbor freight.

A CANYON DANCER IS A MUST!!!!!! It's the best way to safely tie down the bike. Use the canyon dancer to hold the front and two straps to hold the rear. It's a no fail system

Did you mount the chock on the bed or did you use a piece of plywood or something?

buy a trailer

Would like to buy a trailer but its not in my budget now. Besides need to do whatever before next weekend.

lowes has these:
Shop Carry-On Trailer 5' x 8' Mesh Floor Trailer with Ramp Gate at Lowes.com

or spend about 3 grand aluminum (12 ft) or 7 grand for the enclosed (20 ft)

I get great fuel mpg with the aluminum. (little over 200 lb) and may be selling my enclosed

I would like to get an enclosed trailer later on but again not in budget now. Looking for some relatively quick solutions that I can fab up this week for my trip next weekend.

You missed my thread, but I bought a Harbor Freight front wheel chock and bolted it to a piece of plywood cut to fit my Ranger bed. I didn't have to drill the bed and it pulls in and out easy. I just store it when I don't need it. My Ranger bed came with eyelets front and rear. I hear I could just run one or two straps from the passenger pegs forward to secure the bike firmly into the chock, but I did that and use canyon dancer up front. Make sure you secure the big girl well. She will move around.

I have read that you can bolt up a chock to some plywood. I have a piece that I can use for that purpose but was wondering about anchoring it down to the truck itself.

I have a set of handlebar tie down straps they are nylon straps that loop over the handlebars then ya just tie a ratchet strap from the loop to the rail of the truck and for the back ratchet straps from the passenger pegs to the rear rails or lower tie down spots

Ok, I just took a look and I do have a piece of plywood that fits so I can use that to bolt the wheel chock down. It is the length of the bed. Now, I found some anchors that came from the back of a tahoe that I swiped from pull a part. Could I use these as anchors in my bed? Being that they are anchors that was inside would they hold up being used outside in the elements.

Make sure you get the Canyon Dancer!!!!!!! Never knew how great this was untill i got 1, never strap a bike down without 1 again :whistle:

They were like 1 1/2" fender washers. The wheel chock doesn't really hold any weight it just keeps the wheel straight during travel.

Fender washers. Where would you get these from? I was thinking about finding something from the hardware store. And where did you get those anchors from too? The ones from the suv are too large to fit in the groove of the bed (where yours is located), I would have to mount it on one of the humps. And It only has one bolt to hold the suv anchor where as yours comes with 2.

Make sure you get the Canyon Dancer!!!!!!! Never knew how great this was untill i got 1, never strap a bike down without 1 again :whistle:

I plan on getting one of those too. I haven't hauled my bikes in such a long time that I just didn't know about them until recently.

Fender washers. Where would you get these from? I was thinking about finding something from the hardware store. And where did you get those anchors from too? The ones from the suv are too large to fit in the groove of the bed (where yours is located), I would have to mount it on one of the humps. And It only has one bolt to hold the suv anchor where as yours comes with 2.

I plan on getting one of those too. I haven't hauled my bikes in such a long time that I just didn't know about them until recently.

Harbor freight for the "D" rings , Home Depot for the washers

Back