Legal question about hauling a bike.

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
I was wondering ... is it legal to ride around town with a motorcycle in the bed of a pickup with the tailgate down? This is of course assuming the bike is properly tied down.

I'm asking because this will be the only way I can transport the Busa with my truck and I don't want any problems from the law. I measured the bike from the tip of the front fender to tip of the tail-light and got roughly 85". My bed diagonally measures roughly 80".

So close yet so far.

I dont know if thats legal in here in NJ, but I have done it a few times. May want to put red/white reflecting tape on the top lip of the gate to warn others (from getting too close) when the gate is down.

(KROOZER @ Jun. 22 2007,00:41) I dont know if thats legal in here in NJ, but I have done it a few times. May want to put red/white reflecting tape on the top lip of the gate to warn others (from getting too close) when the gate is down.
It IS amazing to think that a person coming up behind another vehicle wouldn't have any clue that a the pick up's tail gate was down! We all know how many idjuts are out there! It's almost like they release a load of them daily onto the streets just to challenge us!
biggrin.gif

should be legal as long as LP can be seen. Not sure of laws in your state but a down tailgate should only be a problem if things can fall out and pose a danger to others

The General Rule (that is very rarely obeyed and even more rarely ticketed) If the object you are hauling in a pick sticks out further than the edge of your tailgate, up or down, you are suppose to tie a strip of orange ribbon/tape from the furthest pretruding point. This is to warn drivers there is an object there. As if the object itself wasn't obvious enough. Personaly I think a driver behind me would get distracted looking at the ribbon and forget to watch my brake lights. So If your bike does not stick out further than your tailgate don't worry about it. If your bike does stick out further than your tailgate don't worry about it. Cops could care less if your hauling a bike. Your license plate does not have to be visable either that is why NJ/NY makes us have 2 plates. If you were realy worried about it (maybee you got to drive the belt way) you could buy a set of trailer lights from Walmart and rig them up to sit on the corners of your tailgate to have a secondary brake a turnsignal light. Other than that just be sure to strap here down properly.

Been doing it for years, never had a problem. Usually have two bikes in the back of the truck. We just did it to go to the bash this year....
super.gif

You also might want to call your insurance company and see if there are any issues with your policy...

Its legal if its secured properly. There are DOT requirements to fore aft and lateral acceleration tie down requirements but I have never heard of the general public getting in trouble for it. Usually they pick on commercial drivers.

(MC MUSTANG @ Jun. 22 2007,06:26) You also might want to call your insurance company and see if there are any issues with your policy...
I couldn't agree more. I've heard of situations where insurance company's will not honor the motorcycle policy while being "towed".....and then not cover damage to the bike under the vehicles policy because it was "personal property".
mad.gif

Friends and I have hauled in the back of a truck many times (here in Minnesota)...never once even thought about it being illegal.
SHOCKED.gif

The only problem is that in NY the cops stop you to see if it is your bike and not stolen!

(ibified @ Jun. 22 2007,10:41) Cookie: that only applies if your truck is full of illegal immigrants. =)
Oh,, okay,,, hang on,, I gotta yell at some of them,, hold on!

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>'HEY,,, DO YOU HAVE YOUR GREEN CARDS!! IF NOT GET OFF MY TRUCK!!!!'</span>

I feel so much betta now
biggrin.gif

Back