Registered
Objective:
----------

Transport the Hayabusa from Raleigh NC to Erie PA

Mode of Transport:

U-Haul truck of appropriate dimensions

Concerns:
----------

* Selected U-Haul truck because I will be parking overnight and want the bike to be out of sight
* I dont like the idea of transporting the bike when it is out in the open (like on a trailer)

Questions:
----------

* What obstacles should I be looking at?
* Can I securely tie-down the Busa in a U-Haul truck?
* Any tips/suggestions?
* Any alternatives?

Thanks guys!

I know that uhaul has motorcycle chocks, but I think they only put them in open trailers. Does anyone in your area have a motorcycle trailer that you could rent?
I have an enclosed 6x12 with a condor chalk setup, you would be more than welcome to use, but you would have to come and get it... I would probably ask for $100 bucks or so, just so that if I need a trailer while you were gone I could rent one...
Maybe someone in your area would do the same?

Be very careful when strapping down in the Uhaul. My buddy strapped his down in the back of a Uhaul only to later hear a thud when the boards on the side of the truck pulled out. Bike fell over on it's brand new custom paint job.

I dealt with the same issue when I moved a couple of years ago. Look at the floor in any enclosed rental truck and you probably will not find a good tie-down location. I don't think you want to tie to the side boards - they just aren't sturdy enough (as posted above).

I ended up renting a trailer to pull behind the U-Haul and tied a tarp over it to keep it out of the weather (and somewhat out of sight).

As stated...the sideboards are "shakey" at best. I've used an enclosed U-Haul twice to carry 2 and 3 bikes (no Busa's...Gixxer 750's and ZX9's) and had the "secure" issue.

There are two holes in the floor to secure your precious to but you won't be able to completely close the door of the U-Haul....been there done that. So, we closed it as far as possible and then tied some ropes around the closing mechanism and the rear bumper frame so the door wouldn't fly open.

It was ugly....we were pressed....we were blessed (no bike mishaps)....I wouldn't suggest it but it will work.

You definitely want a trailor w/ tiedown mounts in the floor!

This won't help your situation, but I'm curious....WHY ERIE? I ask because I was born and raised there. Now I only go back to visit family. Good Luck.

Excellent suggestions so far. I'll look into getting a trailer but I am still iffy about leaving her out in the open.

It is only 650 miles...should I just ride?
tounge.gif

Why Erie?

1) Visiting Family (they are coming from India to visit my sister in Erie)
2) Visiting fellow ORG members redkat05 and others
3) Ride the local roads...some are really nice and scenic this time of year

Mostly...just show the bike to my family. Most of us have never seen a superbike in person (we come from India) and I want to give them all a ride (bought an extra helmet, jacket and knee-armor).
cool.gif

get an open trailer - when you stop, get a motel on the bottom floor and as soon as it gets dark wheel the bike inside.

Try renting a regular cargo van as opposed to the typical U-Haul truck. Not sure about tie down capability but you can keep an eye on it while travelling.

Excellent suggestions so far. I'll look into getting a trailer but I am still iffy about leaving her out in the open.

It is only 650 miles...should I just ride?
tounge.gif

Why Erie?

1) Visiting Family (they are coming from India to visit my sister in Erie)
2) Visiting fellow ORG members redkat05 and others
3) Ride the local roads...some are really nice and scenic this time of year

Mostly...just show the bike to my family. Most of us have never seen a superbike in person (we come from India) and I want to give them all a ride (bought an extra helmet, jacket and knee-armor).
cool.gif
If you are only going 650 miles I have two words for you:

RIDE!

I'm looking at the VAN this afternoon. Hopefully the Busa will fit into the back. I'll just use two matresses on each side and tie her down securely if the option exists. Worst case scenario - I ride all the way.

At 150mph I should be there in 4.5 hours
smile.gif
LOLOLOL

More realistically - at 80-85 I should be there in 8 hours. Once I get out of VA i'll be on the gas...

+1

you can do that in a day, and wont have to worry about leaving it out over night. For that matter you can do the came with a regular trailer and tow it, 650 miles is a one day thing.

I agree with the riding part I rode from philly to the Gap...

Or you can do what a buddy of mine did... He found a ryder or uhual (can't remember which) but he found one that had those hardcore sidebeams that the aluminium shell is affixed to... Then he drilled holes in four of them and lagged o rings through them and tied down off of that... I do not support or suggest you alter or change the structure of any rented vehicle but if you choose to do so... No one really notices. Personally I wouldn't do it I would ride and get a ground floor hotel.
E

Be very careful when strapping down in the Uhaul.  My buddy strapped his down in the back of a Uhaul only to later hear a thud when the boards on the side of the truck pulled out.  Bike fell over on it's brand new custom paint job.
Yeah I would be careful with this because that person was me. I was extremely ticked off when this happened. If it was me I would not do it.

I've decided to trailer it.

Depart at 6:00am
Stop for Breakfast at 8:00am
Stop for lunch at 11:00am
Snooze for 2 hours
Depart at 2:00pm
Stop at 5:00pm
Arrive at 7:00pm or 8:00pm (worst case)

hey open trailer is ok just ask at the front desk if you can leave it parked out all night i usually told them if they would i would pay them 20 bucks cash so they aways did

Back