transporting your bike

flitemedic13

Registered
was thinkin about getting this for my truck so i can txp my bike to the track and for maintanence...anyone have this or seen it used..it looks cool, just wondering if its really durable like it says..i like hearing first hand knowledge before i buy stuff.

http://www.mototote.com

Don't use it for a Busa, Busa is heavy. Use a small trailer with a gate. You can find a good trailer used.

flitemedic13
It was me I have a mototote.It worked ok for me. I hauled my bike to Deals Gap from Iowa 1800 miles. Not a problem. It will work best if your bike is not lowered it goes on there easyer and will tie down better. Make sure your hitch is rated for the weight. The hitch on my Denali is rated at 600 hundred pounds. When I posted a picture of it on here there was all kinds of comments about how it wont work. All of those would also apply to a trailer.
Heres the deal if you have the money to buy a trailer and have room to store it and are going to haul your bike alot by all means buy a trailer. This thing worked for me.If you have any more questions I will try to answer them. If you sent me an email about it I dont think I got it.  Still better to ride it where your going.

I would be very careful with this type of arrangement.  The carrier may be rated for the weight, but your vehicle may not.  You are adding 500+ pounds to the very rear of your truck.  Your center of gravity on the vehicle will shift dramatically and may cause some stability problems.  

I'd check with your truck specs to ensure that you are rated for that kind of load.  

This is actually a greater load than your standard ball hitch, because the load is probably almost a foot past the bumper.

It might be not biggie, though and the vendor may have done all the calcs to show that this is safe.  I'd just do a little research against your type of truck.... my 2 cents....  good luck

<!--EDIT|daiddu
Reason for Edit: "psellign rpolbems"|1092016852 -->

See here we go. When have you ever seen a trailer hitch broken because it was over loaded. Dont you think the vehicle will handle different when you are pulling a trailer?
Not trying to be a bobo about this but almost all the things that you can post about this thing also apply to a trailer.

Did you read my whole post, or just the caution at the front??? If yes, then you surely saw this

"It might be no biggie, though "

He was asking for advice about the carrier, I was offering that it might be worth a few minutes to ensure that his vehicle is rated for the extra weight that far back from the axle.

Depending on the actual point load on the hitch, putting a 500# bike on a 1000# trailer might only put 150 pounds on the hitch. This is a far cry from 500+ pounds a foot back from the hitch.

I also qualified it with " my 2 cents".... perhaps next time I will indicate that the advice is free.... flitemedic is free to take it or leave it..

dd

I have a 2004 nissan titan 4x4 with the tow package 9,500lbs towing capacity with a class IV hitch and ball mount and ball rated for 10,000 lbs and 900lbs on the tongue so im ok with the weight on tongue for this carrier....i was really just wondering how the carrier holds up since it is a big bike...i am really intrested in it though ... this is the sport bike carrier and not the dirt bike carrier u have on ebay right? i noticed on thier website they have 2 diffrent styles, so i was just making sure.  it just seems easier with that thing than a trailer - but ill just have to see.  thanks for the info and suggestion on what to look at though guys, everyone here is a big help in the short time ive been on this site - lots of good info.

<!--EDIT|flitemedic13
Reason for Edit: None given...|1092023667 -->

The one I have is not on Ebay. Your ratings seem high for a class IV hitch. The one I have is the sport bike model. You need to make sure it comes with the straps and the light kit.I thought I could get away without the light kit but bike covers up tail lights

The one I have is not on Ebay.  Your ratings seem high for a class IV hitch. The one I have is the sport bike model. You need to make sure it comes with the straps and the light kit.I thought I could get away without the light kit but bike covers up tail lights
oh..i thought when you said "it was you" i thought u meant that u were the one selling it on ebay..lol...i have a weight distributing hitch, thats why the rating is higher...i have straps, but need to look into a light kit...thanks  j

<!--EDIT|flitemedic13
Reason for Edit: None given...|1092068966 -->

You cant go by the weight disributing rating because that takes a different reciever and is a whole different set up. You need to look at your hitch rating again a class 4 is not that high. But like I said before when have you ever seen one broken because of weight. Not trying to be a know it all here I just did some checking on stuff before I bought mine and thats what I found out. I would hate to see you drop your Busa maybe an R1 or a Harley.

I forgot to tell you I bought mine from a place called Discountramps.com. They also have a differnt brand that you my want to look at. I got good service from these people.

Don't use it for a Busa, Busa is heavy.  Use a small trailer with a gate.  You can find a good trailer used.
the website says itll go up to 600lbs...and then this guy is selling his and used it for his busa

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....WA%3AIT

i emailed him to see if he had any problems with it, havent heard back yet
What's the maximum tongue weight your hitch supports? Most are in the 500 lb range.

I agree with NE, the Busa is too big.

hey hooken how u doin havn't seen u around lately, good to see u postin again..

I have a 2004 nissan titan 4x4 with the tow package 9,500lbs towing capacity with a class IV hitch and ball mount and ball rated for 10,000 lbs and 900lbs on the tongue so im ok with the weight on tongue for this carrier....i was really just wondering how the carrier holds up since it is a big bike...i am really intrested in it though ... this is the sport bike carrier and not the dirt bike carrier u have on ebay right? i noticed on thier website they have 2 diffrent styles, so i was just making sure.  it just seems easier with that thing than a trailer - but ill just have to see.  thanks for the info and suggestion on what to look at though guys, everyone here is a big help in the short time ive been on this site - lots of good info.
here was my info

I can say I was sitting in disbelief when Hooken pulled into the resort at deals gap with his busa on that thing BUT he made it down and back with the busa riding just fine....

We all were mystified about using that setup, many of us were like, well dang he made it afterall
wink.gif
but I can say for 100% sure it worked
cool.gif

Fortunately I have room for a trailer and a pickup, so I don't have to go that route
tounge.gif
laugh.gif
wink.gif

wink.gif

was thinkin about getting this for my truck so i can txp my bike to the track and for maintanence...anyone have this or seen it used..it looks cool, just wondering if its really durable like it says..i like hearing first hand knowledge before i buy stuff.

http://www.mototote.com
I can see why you would want to use a mototote rather then your Titan bed. I have a F150 Supercrew, and I wouldn't even attempt to load or unload a Busa that high up into that truck bed by myself.

Don't use it for a Busa, Busa is heavy.  Use a small trailer with a gate.  You can find a good trailer used.
the website says itll go up to 600lbs...and then this guy is selling his and used it for his busa

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....WA%3AIT

i emailed him to see if he had any problems with it, havent heard back yet
Do you really want $10,000 or more of Busa hanging in the air and bouncing around??

flitemedic13
It was me I have a mototote.It worked ok for me. I hauled my bike to Deals Gap from Iowa 1800 miles. Not a problem. It will work best if your bike is not lowered it goes on there easyer and will tie down better. Make sure your hitch is rated for the weight. The hitch on my Denali is rated at 600 hundred pounds. When I posted a picture of it on here there was all kinds of comments about how it wont work. All of those would also apply to a trailer.
Heres the deal if you have the money to buy a trailer and have room to store it and are going to haul your bike alot by all means buy a trailer. This thing worked for me.If you have any more questions I will try to answer them. If you sent me an email about it I dont think I got it.  Still better to ride it where your going.
Well put. It makes a difference on what you put it on.

Back