Stop Light clutching

Gpmo

Registered
So two buddies of mine are taking their Motorcycle Safety Course this week. Well they are looking for bikes and gear and all the fun stuff that happens when new riders get started.

Well we were talking about riding and keeping a escape route at stop lights in case of well idiots. And i said that i tend to set up my escape but sit in neutral most the time so it most likely doesn't help. I never took the course and have no idea what the correct/suggested protocol is.

So what do you folks do? I generally tend to sit leaned back and stretch ect. Though this behavior changes depending on time of day and traffic.

I usually sit in gear holding the clutch facing which ever way is going to be my escape. If I know it's a pretty long light and I get 5 or 6 cars behind me, I'll throw it in neutral and relax for a bit but still keeping an eye on what's going on behind me.

A good stretch is nice and all but i do always keep my bike in gear just for the reason of escape route. Its been awhile since i did the course but im pretty sure thats what they recommend there too.

I usually sit in gear holding the clutch facing which ever way is going to be my escape. If I know it's a pretty long light and I get 5 or 6 cars behind me, I'll throw it in neutral and relax for a bit but still keeping an eye on what's going on behind me.

This is pretty much same for me.

This is what I do as well.

I'll usually put the stand down, hop off the bike, do some toe touches or other light calasthetics, gotta stay limber ya know.. :laugh:

Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

I'll usually put the stand down, hop off the bike, do some toe touches or other light calasthetics, gotta stay limber ya know.. :laugh:

Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

I reserve this for train tracks only, it helps get the blood pressure up.

As well
Posted via Mobile Device

Im admittedly a bit lazy here...

When i pull up, i plan my escape, keep it in gear until i get a car or two if a tiny civic pulls behind me.. Then put it in neutral and sit up....

This only at long lights though, short lights i just leave it in gear, and wait...

Im admittedly a bit lazy here...

When i pull up, i plan my escape, keep it in gear until i get a car or two if a tiny civic pulls behind me.. Then put it in neutral and sit up....

This only at long lights though, short lights i just leave it in gear, and wait...

This is the same thing I do.

This really was a good question though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When my friend asked me about this, i thought it would make for interesting conversation. Makes me feel like i should go take the class with them instead of going to take pictures of them riding Buell blasts.

I do the same thing but I go hide in the bushes till the coast is clear. :please:

I stay in gear until the car behind me comes to a stop, then I get my stretch in. Probably no safer.

i burn my back tire and shoot off my pistol so folks know im there and won't run over me.

:rofl: j/k i do the same thing as BadAz.

always in gear and watching my 6 'til the car/truck stops. that's what they taught me 11yrs ago in MSF. :thumbsup:

Back