Cagers too close

Jet Li

What is the AWESOME????
Donating Member
Registered
I know how the driver's handbook says to handle tailgaters. Just wondering how everyone in the real world takes care of cagers riding way too close if you are in heavy traffic with no place to escape to?
Another one is when at a stop light or sign the cager stops just millimeters from the back of your bike!
bump.gif
1zhelp.gif

pocket full of steelies for the ppl who cut you off and at the light i just go back and have a talk
biggrin.gif

Relevant question,

I normally give them the "back off" sign (hand motioning backward)

If that doesn't work, I then usually turn my head around and give them the "back off" look. (The "Hey what the F--- is your problem" look)

Normally, distance is the best cure. Pass who ever you have to to remain safe. Most LEO's I have talked to normally won't hastle you very much if that is the case. Now, If you wheelie by 10 cars at a buck 50, they might lose their "understanding".

Ride smart,

Chris

pocket full of steelies for the ppl who cut you off and at the light i just go back and have a talk
biggrin.gif
Something to ponder,

Say....Your driving along in your cage just behind a motorcycle,... say a hardley.

All of a sudden, for no apparent reason, you suddenly see little bouncy things on the road. Then you hear the cracking of glass and "bad" noises under the car.

You then realize that "motorcycle rider" has just damaged your ride.

How would YOU react?

I'm not trying to "flame" anyone, just offering a different prespective. There are some crazy, stupid, vindictive people on the roads who just don't care and would run over you without a second thought. Especially if they thought they had a justification (like being assaulted by bb's).

Chris

I have been known to stay at the stop light until it is just about to turn red... then jet across... As far as tailgaters I have gone the bb route and it usually results in a chase. So now I just speed away or give the above mentioned f-u look to the offender.

I've had some words with folks at the lights before, kicked a stupid chick's bmw's door pretty good when she almost ran over me (coming into my lane) but generally I'm a big fan of seperate and evade. I'll even circle back around a block or stop at a store if someone is really just that determined.

I'm with you Zukracer, to seperate and evade. Some fool on Rt13 was upset that I was able to get through traffic easily and when he cleared the traffic, the cager flew up behind me and got a little too close for comfort. Thank goodness bikes have the acceleration that they do. I simply scooted away and when I got to the Cheseapeak Bay Bridge I just told one of the people at the booth that the driver of that car is driving very irratic and almost hit me. Virginia Police don't play.
biggrin.gif

If someone were to stop that close to me, I would rub their bumper a bit with a burnout. They would move.

we need a spyhunter for our bikes.. you know the smoke screen, oil slicks.. that would be awesome.. and dont forget the missle launcher to take care of the choppers chasing us.
:-)

we need a spyhunter for our bikes.. you know the smoke screen, oil slicks.. that would be awesome.. and dont forget the missle launcher to take care of the choppers chasing us.
:-)
+1 on the smoke screen

Not so thick they can't see through it, but thick enough they know where it came from.

Or, a little CS release that's almost invisible if not completely invisible. Window down, air on, it doesn't matter... they'll end up with tears and snot everywhere as you roll off.

Well, I tell you what NOT to do...

... and I still can't believe this happened.

Years ago, back in my early 20's, on a cold January night, I was on my way to pick up my wife at the dealership. Our cage broke down and I was riding my only other vehicle; a Kawi KZ1000. Riding down a dark country road with no exits or intersections, when a large cage began tailgating me dangerously close. I'm already a nervous wreck because there was little patches of ice here and there, so I'm carefully feeling my way along at about 45mph (speed limit). I was cold and remember wishing I didn't have to be on the bike. The tailgater was dangerously close and there was no where to pull off to let him go by. I figured I'd take a chance and carefully bump the speed up to 55-60 with the hopes of making the cager happy and maybe he'd back off. No way. He matched my acceleration and remained on my tail. Then I bumped it up to 70. Again he matched my acceleration and got even closer (approximately 6 to 8 feet back). Just then a straight away presented itself. Thinking the cager was trying to kill me I laid over the tank and nailed it. At last glance the speedo was passing 125. I left the cage in the dust. Of course my adrenlin level was through the roof and I was seriously pissed off. I was convinced the guy was trying to kill me. I finally saw a stop sign up ahead, so I decided it was time to kick some a##. Pumped up, young and stupid, I pulled off my KZ off into the gravel, kick-stand down, bound and determine to kick the ass of whoever pulled up in the next car. A minute or so later, here he comes... It was cop! He stops, gets out and asks, "You ok?" I pause for a second, then all 200 lbs of me starts walking towards him, helmet in hand, shouting; "Why were you trying to kill me back there?!? What the #uck is the matter with you?! Are you fuc##### nuts?!"

Believe it or not, the cop waved his hand at me (as if to blow me off), got back into his car, and drove away!

I stood there for a minute, then the reality set in and I started shaking, thinking how badly that situation could have turned out!
sad.gif
Obviously I was damn lucky he didn't haul me off, or shoot my a##.
blush.gif

Lesson learned. Do whatever is necessary to let tailgaters pass you. It's always better to have them in front of you.

Every situation is different, but generally if I am being tailgaited and I can't get over, I'll gradually slow down.  If you speed up, usually they will too.  So I won't hit the brake or anything, just roll off the throttle a little.  That combined with the hand gesture (slow down) and the head turn around will usually get the point across.  Usually what happens is they ride your a$$ all the way down to what ever speed, you speed back up, they do to, you repeat.  Eventually they'll get the message and back off a little.

Slowing down also has another benefit. It provides you with PLENTY of extra time to react to whatever is going in in FRONT of you, which means you likely won't get rearended unless you had some sort of mechanical failure on the bike or something.

It's too bad there are so many inconsiderate people out there who cause us this grief.  ...and you can't speed up, I mean what are you gonna do when you catch up to someone else and the moron is still riding your a$$.

...and when they stop right behind you at the light sometimes I will roll back on them, Just like I do in my 'manual' car. MOST cagers don't REALLY want to hit you, they just want to make you mad, or aren't even paying attention. So relax have fun with it.

Ride safe!

<!--EDIT|thebbbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1134507453 -->

If I am up at speed and being tailgated I try one of two things... 1st pull over to the left (if allowed by oncoming traffic) and slow down so they will pass me, I do give them the "what are ya a dumba$$" look when they go by... if not I will slow down enough that they get the message and back off. I use to carry marbles or ballbearings, but this seemed more of a pain... having to dig them out the bag or pocket to drop them always seemed a little more dangerous than letting them by or just slowing down enough they figure it out...

It's too bad there are so many inconsiderate people out there who cause us this grief.[/QUOTE]

Its not that they are inconsiderate.

They see you as just another person on the road, bike or not.
They don't teach special techniques to automobile drivers in drivers ed. Only another bike rider will probably give you that kind of respect. I have a class A CDL and noone gives me the respect I deserve driving a 48 foot tractor trailor with 40,000 plus pounds. Sad but true

It's too bad there are so many inconsiderate people out there who cause us this grief.

Its not that they are inconsiderate.

They see you as just another person on the road, bike or not.
They don't teach special techniques to automobile drivers in drivers ed. Only another bike rider will probably give you that kind of respect. I have a class A CDL and noone gives me the respect I deserve driving a 48 foot tractor trailor with 40,000 plus pounds. Sad but true[/QUOTE]
I do even on my bike
wink.gif

Back