We're the As*holes

F**k people in cars. Sorry..... but I am tired of almost getting killed. One of these days it mnight not be almost! Houston is the single worst city I have ever driven in on an motorcycle. This is just rediculous.
I feel you bro.
I truly don't care what people in cars think. F-them!

I've almost written this post many times myself! Funny that it would have sounded identical to yours eynlai.

Agree, Agree, Agree!!!

I ride that same stretch of freeway and I think about these things just as you do while I'm there.

The 210 at Rosemead is the master link to all soccer mom commute in LA.

Sometime try doing 90 when the road is clear... Unbelievable the way they fly pass you... almost hitting you on an open freeway.

I don't think they can help it... some kinda transformation happens when they're kids join soccer!

The only thing you missed above is ...

When people always say... I hate those guys splitting lanes, I never see them until they've passed me... My reply is, GOOD!!!

Ever notice how some people react when they do accidently notice you coming up on them? panic... pull to the left, then right... speed up... slow down...sip-o-coffee...:O

3 cheers for this post! eynlai, your in my town... I'll buy the coffee!

..., trip

There was a good article in last (this?) month's Cycle World about getting blasted from behind and how lane-splitting, permitted in CA, probably saves lives.  Having a bike for the last 3-1/2 years (and a Hayabusa since Saturday!) has made me a more attentive and focused driver.
Havn't seen the article yet.  But it might be a good article to present to the Federal Highway Safety Commission if such a petition is drawn up.  Maybe Cycle World would step in to give a expert opinion to the FHSC?
Lane splitting is NOT legal in Japan, and yet, if you don't you will be killed. The cagers expect you to do it, and push you through if you don't. Small roads, Busa, lane splitting= not fun at times!

Probably the AMA would be the best group to support a national movement to allow lane-splitting. But you can bet you'll see pictures of the rider doing 80 mph on the back wheel between cars. Are there any restrictions on this in CA?

Probably the AMA would be the best group to support a national movement to allow lane-splitting.  But you can bet you'll see pictures of the rider doing 80 mph on the back wheel between cars.  Are there any restrictions on this in CA?
I've not seen the written restriction for sure, but I heard it's suppose to be no faster than 20 mph compared to the flow of traffic, thus if traffic is congested and the average creep along speed is 5 mph, then we should split lanes no faster than 25 mph, legally.  But I think it's really it's up to the discretion of the police/CHP.  They can tell if you're doing it in a responsible fashion or not.  I rode with (either in front or behind) CHP bike cops on several occassions splitting lanes in traffic.  

I guess it's common sense and courtesy... I know that that's a lot to ask of some of our more squidy 2 wheel brethens.

<!--EDIT|eynlai
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128709386 -->

Some of you in non-legal lane splitting states think that it's crazy for us CA riders to split lanes.  I feel that it's crazy NOT to split lanes.  I rather take my chances doing a lane split into a clearing than to get caught in a pack of traffic like a guppy in a can of sardines.  If something happens, where do I go!?!?
I always know where I'm going to go in case someone comes up on me, I know I'm not going to get a ticket for avoiding a accident.

Most of the reason people think lane splitting is crazy is because of the cagers, not the MC riders.. Look at the numbers, lane splitting is pretty dangerous.

Some of you in non-legal lane splitting states think that it's crazy for us CA riders to split lanes. I feel that it's crazy NOT to split lanes. I rather take my chances doing a lane split into a clearing than to get caught in a pack of traffic like a guppy in a can of sardines. If something happens, where do I go!?!?
I always know where I'm going to go in case someone comes up on me, I know I'm not going to get a ticket for avoiding a accident.

Most of the reason people think lane splitting is crazy is because of the cagers, not the MC riders.. Look at the numbers, lane splitting is pretty dangerous.
Lane sharing is not so dangerous as long as you keep yourself within limits...

I think that people just don't like the bunny you carry as a backpack.
tounge.gif

Seriously though I know what you mean.
What do you say to Sushi in Little Tokyo in the near future?
We can split some lanes just for fun on the way there.

I think that people just don't like the bunny you carry as a backpack.  
tounge.gif

Seriously though I know what you mean.
What do you say to Sushi in Little Tokyo in the near future?
We can split some lanes just for fun on the way there.
hahha, sushi it is. but we have to try another restuarant. Last one was okay, but I know there's a lot more to try. When will you be back in town? Maybe we can hit up the Cheetah Lounge next time you're back in.

Wow, I didnt mean to start a whole topic on lane splitting. I was just curious as sitting in rush hour traffic sucks!, Thank you to all who did comment thou!
biggrin.gif

I would like to see motorcycles have their own lanes!!! Or motorcycle only roads. What would you think of that.

Probably the AMA would be the best group to support a national movement to allow lane-splitting.  But you can bet you'll see pictures of the rider doing 80 mph on the back wheel between cars.  Are there any restrictions on this in CA?
I've not seen the written restriction for sure, but I heard it's suppose to be no faster than 20 mph compared to the flow of traffic, thus if traffic is congested and the average creep along speed is 5 mph, then we should split lanes no faster than 25 mph, legally.  But I think it's really it's up to the discretion of the police/CHP.  They can tell if you're doing it in a responsible fashion or not.  I rode with (either in front or behind) CHP bike cops on several occassions splitting lanes in traffic.  

I guess it's common sense and courtesy... I know that that's a lot to ask of some of our more squidy 2 wheel brethens.
From what I hear, the same applies in VA.

What numbers??

Being in your own lane on a Los Angeles freeway is dangerous.
Lane splitting in Los Angeles is dangerous.

Frankly, I'd rather be lane splitting so I know I won't be rear ended. Plus, I control the situation. Cagers never know we're there until we're gone, and that is a good thing. I move around them, if they knew I was there, they'd block me or try and force me over.

If you are stopped in your own lane and see someone about to rear end you, you probably don't have the time to get out of the way.

Just my thoughts...

I've noticed that most cagers will roll up on you and try to pass you as if they were testing you or something. As if they had a snowballs chance at the Summer Olympics in the Sahara of actullay hanging with you in a roll on .
rock.gif

Back