Positive article!

StageRulz

Registered
IN THE BAY AREA, we as drivers have become accustomed to driving in traffic.
Everywhere we go, no matter what, our everyday activities revolve around traffic congestion. Nowadays, you just can't jump in the car and go from point A to point B without some planning.

Most California drivers always are in a big hurry, and they will "mow you down" if you don't get out of their way.

A number of families have two cars, and they leave the nice expensive one at home in the garage. Why? Because they have a commute car — you know, the one that they can "beat to death." The one that they can swing the door open and dent your car. The car they can drive on the shoulder of the road and pass another car. The one they can open the driver's door on a motorcyclist splitting lanes.

Lane-splitting by motorcyclists? Most drivers can't stand this. Are car-bound drivers jealous? Are these motorcyclists "punk kids" on a motor vehicle that is too powerful for them?

Before you judge a motorcyclist, you should know the law and not jump to conclusions.

California is one of the few states that allow motorcyclists to split lanes. Yes, it is legal!

I own two motorcycles and drive one here at work.

Lane-splitting is permissible as long as it is done in a safe and prudent manner. The definition is broad, and it's up to the officer's judgment if he or she observes a violation in their presence.

Everyone recognizes that lane-splitting is a way for motorcyclists to save time or to get through traffic quicker — which is why car-bound drivers resent it.

In the defense of motorcyclists, lane-splitting also reduces congestion and helps everyone get to their destination sooner. If a majority of the drivers on California roads drove motorcycles, there would hardly be any traffic. In addition, air pollution would be cut in half, if not more.

I was reluctant to split lanes myself.

Driving a motorcycle is difficult because you constantly have to be aware of your surroundings, and you are committed to be a defensive driver.

Most car-bound drivers are rude and do not understand the law. They think we are violating the law when we split lanes.

But do they realize that when they merge into a motorcyclist or block their path that they could get the ticket and not the motorcyclist?

I mentioned before that lane-splitting must be done in a safe and prudent manner. This means it should be done with caution and with due regard for other traffic on the road.

Usually, lane-splitting is done at slower speeds during heavy commute traffic. When motorcyclists split lanes at higher speeds, this becomes unsafe and they can be violating several traffic laws, such as unsafe lane changes, failure to signal and yield of right of way.

The dangers involved in lane-splitting are the close proximity of other vehicles, the limited space for maneuvering and the fact that few drivers anticipate your presence.

I have had a few close calls myself, and I have witnessed a number of accidents.

It is a fact that most drivers don't see motorcyclists. Motorcycles are quick, and they often are in the blind spots of car-bound drivers.

Whether you drive a motorcycle or a car, be careful, be defensive, drive safely and prudently, and know the law before you take action.

Share the road. Motor vehicles are not the only ones using the roads — pedestrians, bicyclists, truckers and other motor vehicles are on the roads, too.

Officer Dan Harvey is a traffic officer with the city of Fremont. His column appears every Wednesday. If you have questions you want answered, you can e-mail him at dharvey@ci.fremont.ca.us.

LinKy!

+1 on the great article!! That's why I love SoCal. I can get through point A to Point B as if there were NO TRAFFIC. I also feel safer b/c I don't have to worry about the cager behind me who's not paying attention and possibly plow me. I just have to worry about whats ahead and to the sides. I, too, was hesitant at first but after doing it for a while there's nothing to it. Just start off slow and within your limits and build your way up to proper commuting, splitting speeds.

Just an observation. We should refer to the practice as lane sharing not lane splitting. I lane share often here in No. Calif but I do not split the lane. Need to be within the white line not straddling it.
smile.gif

Notice ....... I live in Washington State not California.
I apoligize for not being "Politicly Correct" as flrider.
Mygod I was raised in Arkansas we just had Dirt Roads there!
blush.gif

Back