Motorcycle Awareness month

UncleSteve

Gear good - roadrash bad
Donating Member
Registered
We (OHP and the Oklahoma Safety Office) will be conducted a "Share the Road with Motorcycles program this year.
Below in blue is the basic theme, we are going to get out to the motoring public.
Please keep this in mind, any support you can offer in your area will be greatly beneficial to all motorcyclists.

May Proclaimed Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month.

One out of every nine U.S. road fatalities accounted for last year involved motorcycle riders. This steady increase in fatalities over the past decade represents one of our Nation’s greatest highway safety challenges.

Motorcycle fatalities now account for 11 percent of total road fatalities and have increased each year from a low of 2,116 in 1997 to 4,810 in 2006. So while there has been success in reducing automobile deaths in recent years, this progress is being negated by the rise in motorcycle fatalities, which has more than doubled.
All motorists are reminded to safely “Share the Road” with motorcycles and to be extra alert when driving to help keep motorcyclists safe.

“With warmer weather here, more motorcycles are back on the roads. Drivers of all vehicles need to be extra alert". “Motorcycles are some of the smallest vehicles on the road so folks in other vehicles need to really look out for them—and to take extra care to safely ‘Share the Road’.”

Because of their smaller size, motorcyclists are often hidden in a vehicle’s blind spot. “It’s crucial that motorists always make a visual check for motorcycles by checking mirrors and blind spots before entering or leaving a lane of traffic and at intersections.”

Motorcyclists are much more vulnerable than passenger vehicle drivers in the event of a crash. Research shows that approximately 80 percent of motorcycle crashes injure or kill a motorcycle rider, while only 20 percent of passenger car crashes injure or kill a driver or passenger in their vehicle.

Several tips for drivers to help keep motorcyclists safe on our roadways:

 Remember the motorcycle is a vehicle with all of the rights and privileges of any other motor vehicle on the roadway. Always allow a motorcyclist the full lane width—never try to share a lane;

 Always make a visual check for motorcycles by checking mirrors and blind spots before entering or leaving a lane of traffic and at intersections;

 Always signal your intentions before changing lanes or merging with traffic;

 Don’t be fooled by a flashing turn signal on a motorcycle – motorcycle signals are often not self-canceling and riders sometimes forget to turn them off. Wait to be sure the motorcycle is going to turn before you proceed;

 Remember that road conditions which are minor annoyances to other vehicles pose major hazards to motorcyclists;

 Allow more following distance, three or four seconds, when following a motorcycle, so the motorcyclist has enough time to maneuver or stop in an emergency. And don’t tailgate. In dry conditions, motorcycles can stop more quickly than cars.

Motorcyclists have responsibilities, too, by following the rules of the road, being alert to other drivers, and always wearing DOT-compliant helmets and protective gear.

Our message to all drivers is: make this the first year in recent years when motorcycle fatalities do not increase. Help to share in the responsibility and do your part by safely ‘Sharing the Road’ with motorcycles.”

feel free to copy and post this message on other web sites, together we can make a difference!
Thanks
Steve

Last edited:
Cagers have repeatedly an deliberately thrown their cars at me to make me move out of their way when they want a lane or at the last minute figured out their were in the wrong lane on the highway an needed the one you are in and just looked me in the eye an cut across an into my lane. Been the victim of 2 hit runs so far an 1 was at 5:00 pm in heavy traffic an no one so much as even stopped to check on me after she backed up an hit me again to flee the scene, no one driving behind her even took the time to get the tag they just proceeded in line around my body laying on the floor.
I applaud you for your words of wisdom and your intentions to make the roads a better an safer place for motorcycles, but I can't help but feel it's a waste of time good luck for those spreading the words.:beerchug:

IMO, I believe that with the rapidly growing influx of motorcycles on our roads that all licensed drivers in our Country should complete at the very least: A structured form (that can be mailed to them), explaining the motorcycle growth and all of the requirements for safe operation of a motor vehicle while sharing the public access roads with the much more vulnerable motorcyclists! If this draws the attention of even one driver and saves the life of at least one motorcyclist, it was worth every effort.

MSF courses are mandatory in many states prior to a motorcyclist being licensed yet no special training is given to the much more prevalent and offending four wheeled + motor vehicle operator. Our world is now about "CHANGE", maybe it's time to change the way drivers are trained to operate their cars, trucks and so on. Motorcycles get a mere mention in the grand scheme of being licensed for a standard operators license currently. Does our system have a responsibility to protect us? We are licensed and have earned the same privileges to drive and survive on the roads as anyone.

We are out there on the roads and have been for years. We die in larger numbers every year, partly due to population increase as well as the larger number of motorcycles on the road. Awareness is key. Making drivers aware that an "invisible" motorcycle may be around them at any time. Making drivers accountable on a higher level for impacting motorcycles with steeper fines and license suspensions. Would this draw the attention of the licensed driver completing his or her literature that was mailed to them to be read, completed and returned? If hitting a motorcyclist carried the same penalties as drunk driving, (DUI) do do you think that may get drivers attention?

Something rather than nothing can be done as I see is taking place with the O.P. of this thread. I believe that this must be followed up with huge penalties so the drivers MUST take notice of their surroundings and KNOW, we are there and we have a right to be safe or more safe than they are and if you hit us the penalty is severe!

How can we make this happen? Do you believe in any of my suggestions, comments? Please, tell me your thoughts so together we can increase the chance of a safe ride each and every time we mount up.

Dave

IMO, I believe that with the rapidly growing influx of motorcycles on our roads that all licensed drivers in our Country should complete at the very least: A structured form (that can be mailed to them), explaining the motorcycle growth and all of the requirements for safe operation of a motor vehicle while sharing the public access roads with the much more vulnerable motorcyclists! If this draws the attention of even one driver and saves the life of at least one motorcyclist, it was worth every effort.

MSF courses are mandatory in many states prior to a motorcyclist being licensed yet no special training is given to the much more prevalent and offending four wheeled + motor vehicle operator. Our world is now about "CHANGE", maybe it's time to change the way drivers are trained to operate their cars, trucks and so on. Motorcycles get a mere mention in the grand scheme of being licensed for a standard operators license currently. Does our system have a responsibility to protect us? We are licensed and have earned the same privileges to drive and survive on the roads as anyone.

We are out there on the roads and have been for years. We die in larger numbers every year, partly due to population increase as well as the larger number of motorcycles on the road. Awareness is key. Making drivers aware that an "invisible" motorcycle may be around them at any time. Making drivers accountable on a higher level for impacting motorcycles with steeper fines and license suspensions. Would this draw the attention of the licensed driver completing his or her literature that was mailed to them to be read, completed and returned? If hitting a motorcyclist carried the same penalties as drunk driving, (DUI) do do you think that may get drivers attention?

Something rather than nothing can be done as I see is taking place with the O.P. of this thread. I believe that this must be followed up with huge penalties so the drivers MUST take notice of their surroundings and KNOW, we are there and we have a right to be safe or more safe than they are and if you hit us the penalty is severe!

How can we make this happen? Do you believe in any of my suggestions, comments? Please, tell me your thoughts so together we can increase the chance of a safe ride each and every time we mount up.

Dave

NOT A THREAD JACK ATTEMPT!:please:

Like has been said many a time, just pretend you're invisible to others. Good message and good campaign :thumbsup:

Cagers have repeatedly an deliberately thrown their cars at me to make me move out of their way when they want a lane or at the last minute figured out their were in the wrong lane on the highway an needed the one you are in and just looked me in the eye an cut across an into my lane. Been the victim of 2 hit runs so far an 1 was at 5:00 pm in heavy traffic an no one so much as even stopped to check on me after she backed up an hit me again to flee the scene, no one driving behind her even took the time to get the tag they just proceeded in line around my body laying on the floor.
I applaud you for your words of wisdom and your intentions to make the roads a better an safer place for motorcycles, but I can't help but feel it's a waste of time good luck for those spreading the words.:beerchug:

Motorcyclists seem to have an image problem in Florida, I wonder why?

About time Steve! I am glad the State is moving on this, any chance of using the DOT signs to say, Motorcycle awareness month? I will do what I can in this area. :beerchug:

Dave

Oklahoma has a bill this year which will raise the fine for failure to yield. I have get more info on it.
I was told the fine would be $1000 if a motorist failed to yield to a motorcycle and a collision resulted.
I am not sure about the particulars, so don't take it as gospel.

It's a start....

Steve , I commend you for the Great Job that you are doing for the motorcyclist community. I for one think that the more info out there for Motorcycle Awareness the better it will be for everyone. :bowdown::bowdown:

your last line is disturbing. Waste of time is doing nothing!

Steve , I commend you for the Great Job that you are doing for the motorcyclist community. I for one think that the more info out there for Motorcycle Awareness the better it will be for everyone. :bowdown::bowdown:

Thanks

We can all contribute in some way.

We could start with one of these on our bumpers?

images.jpg

images1.jpg

images3.jpg

The numbers are doubled over about ten years. Not really as bad as I might have thought. And yes one is too many. In the last ten years there has been an explosion in scooters and first time "old guys" and women buying Harleys. The other people DO NOT SEE YOU, and many that do dont care for you. Drive at your own risk and as said earlier, Drive like you are invisible.

I avoid driving at night. Weekdays suck as most people are in bad moods. Dress for the crash, it's gonna come. Drive in numbers....two bikes are twice as easy to see, etc, etc. Lastly, EVERY car is going to pull out on you.

Back