Used 8 of my 9 lives last night....

GSXTacy

Mr. January
Donating Member
Registered
Just about checked out for good. Last night about 9:45 I was getting onto the I-74 bridge over the Mississippi here in the Quad Cities. About half way over there was a stalled out car in the right lane (Two lanes going one direction). About the time I got up to speed from the on ramp I see all the cars ahead of me panic stopping. I'm on the binders pretty good to get slowed down, thinking of the highway speed traffic coming in behind me. Every thing look OK for a minute and I get down to about 5 mph and about 8 feet behind a car going the same speed. After spotting my escape route (between the two cars in front of me was the only option, no shoulders on the bridge) I kept an eye on my mirrors.
All hell breaks loose I hear the squealing of tires and see an SUV haulling ass SIDEWAYS right at me. I gun it to split the cars. As Im at the drivers door the SUV slams into both cars that I'm between.....hard. Parts flew past me from the carnage. My passenger heard about 4-5 more hard hits and was holding me for dear life! We escaped without a scratch but without me having a plan and an escape route, I honestly dont think I would be here today. We would have been trapped between a car going 5 mph and the out of control suv that hit it.

Use those basic tools guys. Keep your bike in gear, watch your mirrors and have an escape route. It saved my life last night. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Just about checked out for good. Last night about 9:45 I was getting onto the I-74 bridge over the Mississippi here in the Quad Cities. About half way over there was a stalled out car in the right lane (Two lanes going one direction). About the time I got up to speed from the on ramp I see all the cars ahead of me panic stopping. I'm on the binders pretty good to get slowed down, thinking of the highway speed traffic coming in behind me. Every thing look OK for a minute and I get down to about 5 mph and about 8 feet behind a car going the same speed. After spotting my escape route (between the two cars in front of me was the only option, no shoulders on the bridge) I kept an eye on my mirrors.
All hell breaks loose I hear the squealing of tires and see an SUV haulling ass SIDEWAYS right at me. I gun it to split the cars. As Im at the drivers door the SUV slams into both cars that I'm between.....hard. Parts flew past me from the carnage. My passenger heard about 4-5 more hard hits and was holding me for dear life! We escaped without a scratch but without me having a plan and an escape route, I honestly dont think I would be here today. We would have been trapped between a car going 5 mph and the out of control suv that hit it.

Use those basic tools guys. Keep your bike in gear, watch your mirrors and have an escape route. It saved my life last night. :thumbsup:

Man, that is too close for comfort. Good job keeping your escape route and using it. How did feel to split lanes and have parts flying by you?
Do you have permanent fingernail marks in your skin from the Pillion?

Glad you are okay, these are the things that make us so much more aware of other drivers and how fast something can happen.

Bubba

One of my fears right there. Way to keep your witts about you, quick thinking, good job. Glad you're ok.

Great use of your skills,of observation and planning your escape route and coming out unscathed.

BAMMMMM!!!!! Awesome story!!!! Good that your ok! Almost felt like parts were flying past my desk in slow mo :laugh:.....take heed and learn :beerchug: Touched by an Angel

Last edited:
Good for you for having a plan! I do the same thing and have only had to use it once or twice, but never in a situation like that.

Man, you can be proud of yourselve! Good job, and an excellent illustration to the rest of us. :bowdown:

Glad to hear you are ok! Excellent reflexes on your part. I'm coming back there in August. Wanna get together for dinner?

The only unpreventable wreck is one coming from behind. I'm sure God was looking out for you as well as your good riding skills. Very glad your safe :thumbsup:
Posted via Mobile Device

Man nice planning and glad to here you're OK. I'm always running "what ifs" in my head whether moving or sitting. Keeps me on my toes and to help prevent the tragedies that can become from incidents like that.

No replacing experience! Glad you and your passenger are ok. Great save! :thumbsup:

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: Glad you still here, I hope your passenger gave you a proper thank you for your quick,clever an prepared riding abilities.:thumbsup:

Back