To the man in the white Nissan Sentra...

Hayabusa Fury

Registered
Luckiest day ever... (Sorry, kind of long)

Yesterday morning during my commute on I5. A jackass driving a white Nissan Sentra starts coming into my lane. His front wheels are about even with my rear tire. Clearly should be visible to him but he missed me somehow. My lane is going about 5 mph faster than his. I am at about 50 mph (we just got back up to this speed from a stop). Traffic is stop and go with my lane being the fastest at the moment. I have about 1 1/2 car length between me and the SUV in front of me. So, here he comes. This isn't a merge but a fast jump into the other lane. I react by leaning away from him, problem is that the lane to my right is stopped traffic so I am trying to avoid mirrors and such. So this all happen in the matter of 5 seconds. I catch him in the corner of my eye coming at me, I swerve away from him and look to see if he is still coming out not. I look back up ahead of me and wouldn't you know it. The SUV has slammed on the brakes. As straight as I could get it but still recovering from the avoidance swerve, I hit the brakes and the rear locks up.

Now this is where I would like some technical feedback on my reaction and if I could have done something better.

As the rear tire starts to slide left, I counter steer to keep the bike up. Mind you I am still not going to stop in time before hitting the SUV while sliding and the Sentra is now fully in my lane (I almost hit his front fender when my tail swung out, missed it by inches). I let off the back brake, the wheel grips and the bike starts to straighten out. As it does a small tank slapper starts, It wobbles 3 times, so I let off the front brake and the front end uncompressed a bit and the tank slapper stops instantly. I re-apply brakes carefully not to lock up again and stop inches from the now stopped SUV. The Sentra pulls back into his original lane and comes within a foot of hitting the same SUV.

All is good, kept the rubber side down and nothing but nerves are shaken.

On my way home that evening about 6:00 pm. I am on a small 2 lane highway with nothing but straight road ahead. I see a pickup truck on the side of the road way ahead. It has been there for 2 days. Also there is a semi-truck 300 yards ahead in the slow lane. So already at 70 mph, I open her up and get to about 130 mph. As I catch up to the truck I slow back down to about 70 mph.
whistling.gif
60 mph is posted limit. As I pass the Semi I see the pickup on the side and hiding behind it is a cop standing outside his car with a radar gun.
SHOCKED.gif

I though dammit
banghead.gif
, I am very, very caught. The cop didn't even look up at me as I passed him. I kept looking and he didn't even move to get in his cruiser. It almost looked as if he had just setup and was aiming the gun down the road behind me. Either the Semi was blocking him or he was not yet setup. But he did not see me just go 130 mph.
please.gif

I went straight home and put the 'Busa to bed. I knew I had used up all my luck this day. Makes me wonder if I have any left for the month,
laugh.gif

Anyway, luckiest single day in my motorcycle life. Enjoy and stay safe

Wow! Sounds like a crazy day. Ive been there before and you just do what you can to stay up. Glad to hear your ok and that guy will get his one way or another. and as for the cop, down here if they see you coming they point the radar gun at the ground and look away until you pass just cause they know they cant do anything. Happy ridin'

You know, you always have enough room between lanes, no need locking your brakes.

Glad you survived today.
beerchug.gif

Yeah, the guy in the Sentra didn't flip me off, but shook his hand and gave me the
wtf.gif
look as if it was my fault or something. If I wasn't so glad to have not wrecked. I would have been more pissed at the time. He still needs a little
guns.gif
for his troubles though.

As for the cop, I was at speed limit when I actually passed him and was at that speed for a while thinking he was coming for me. He never did
rock.gif
dunno.gif
. I wasn't gonna run from him. So his loss and my gain I guess.

I don't want to jack your thread,but same thing happend to me
last year.Went for a liitle ride,decided to try to catch this other bike.On the way down the road no police car in median,
on the way back about 10 minutes later cop in the grass.I
was doing about 120-130. I look over at him he's looking down,
didn't even see me. Put the bike away for 2 weeks,oh by the
way I almost get run over everytime I ride. glad you are ok.

that is my worst fear... people that make "snap" lane changes like they are driving some kind of F1 car and are a "Star" azzhats.......

If you kept it upright without any impacts, you did the right thing apparently... early detection is your best defense... (and there is no one that could judge if you could have caught this idiot sooner in the lane foul...) All you can do is to always try and leave an "out" and that is a lot easier here in "corn country" than on a bumper to bumper super slab...

Glad you are ok!
thumb_up.gif

glad it turned out ok! I had something simular happen to be thje day I bought my busa. It was on my trip home! Not even use to it and haven't been on bike for while! Was a little nervous to begin with. Shorty story version is... I was riding down US19 during rush hour and some jerk decided to come into my lane since we were moving a couple miles faster! I hadn't even got maybe 10miles on the bike yet!

Be safe lots of people are clueless that there is 2 wheeled rides on the road! Seems people always trying to make up or save time by driving with their head up their ars's!
firedevil.gif

Lane splitting in some areas can be near impossible! Just not enough room. Almost any bridge in NYC is a prime example!

I have had those days were the adrenaline never stops. Bet you slept like a champ that night.

good to hear you made it out unscathed.....when it happens it happens fast...lots of people swear by the front brake,me,I favor the rear brake...I was behind a car when the up coming lite turned yellow,she sped up to beat it and so did I then she decided she was gonna stop instead...caught me off gaurd,I grabbed the front brake and right away went into a full endo,let that go and applyed the back brake a little tighter and instantly went into a full on skid,let that go and back to the endo....did this a few times all the while she was watching me and kept moving up (thank god) so i didnt hit her.finally stopped behind her at the lite and she gives me a "im sorry" wave...she actually came into my lane right before the lite coming up so she knew she f'd me..I sat there cool as could be,little did anyone know my heart was pumping faster then ever,my grip on the handles could have crushed concrete and I was seating like a pig...but i bet it looked like i ment to do it
cool.gif

Man ... sounds like your reactions were right on ... when the rear locks, let off a bit to regain control. Glad you're ok
thumb_up.gif

Now this is where I would like some technical feedback on my reaction and if I could have done something better.

Anyway, luckiest single day in my motorcycle life. Enjoy and stay safe
GLAD TO SEE YOUR STILL WITH US BRO, GOOD JOB
beerchug.gif
....... and as far as wanting advise on how you handled it..... there is NO one on here that can teach or make you learn "REACTION". either you got it or you dont, and bother, obviously you HAVE IT
bowdown.gif
thumb_up.gif

You're invisible. Ride safely, man.

One that was deliberate. I took the right shoulder one time to go about 20 feet to the right turn I needed to make. It was a hot day. Yeah, I shouldn't ride on the shoulder. The lady in the car in front of me decides I shouldn't do shid like that and pulls to the right to cut me off. Nearly hit me.

To this day, I wish I had parked the bike and given her a piece of my mind. Then called in assault charges against her.

--Wag--

good to hear you made it out unscathed.....when it happens it happens fast...lots of people swear by the front brake,me,I favor the rear brake...I was behind a car when the up coming lite turned yellow,she sped up to beat it and so did I then she decided she was gonna stop instead...caught me off gaurd,I grabbed the front brake and right away went into a full endo,let that go and applyed the back brake a little tighter and instantly went into a full on skid,let that go and back to the endo....did this a few times all the while she was watching me and kept moving up (thank god) so i didnt hit her.finally stopped behind her at the lite and she gives me a "im sorry" wave...she actually came into my lane right before the lite coming up so she knew she f'd me..I sat there cool as could be,little did anyone know my heart was pumping faster then ever,my grip on the handles could have crushed concrete and I was seating like a pig...but i bet it looked like i ment to do it
cool.gif
If you're doing stopies, or draggin the rear tire, you're on the respective brake too hard. You can stop the fastest by having both tires on the ground, and using a combination of the front and rear brake. You say "some people swear by the front brake" that's true, to a point. They swear by using MORE front than rear, but not front ONLY. It's just like a car, the front brakes of a bike are 70% of your braking power. The other 30% is what the rear is for. If you go too hard on the front, the rear is worthless and you're only getting 70% of your potential stopping power. If you use only the rear, you're only getting 30% of your braking potential. However, if you use the front and rear together without lifting or dragging the rear tire, you're getting 100% of your braking potential. What you should do is go out to some random parking lot at night and practice some panic stops until it's 2nd nature.

Back