Hawaii - Help!

Doc_Busa

Donating Member
Registered
Hey guys and gals,

Anyone got experience with tickets in Hawaii? I was rolling down H1 from North Shore today enroute to Honollulu and got snagged by the copz. I was going about 67 MPH in the car pool lane, when a cop on the opposite side of the road on a motorcycle (READ - ACROSS 4-5 lanes of busy traffic), rips out cuts off a bunch of cars and gets behind me. Nabs me for 75 in a 55. He says he got me using LASER and that Hawaii has used lasers for 15 years. His attitude was poor to say the least. The fact is, I had a custom low rider truck riding my azz in the car pool lane, he MAY have been going 75, but I was not, plain and simple.

Any ideas on what to do? Obviously coming back here for a court date is not going to work... this sux! The funny thing is, 90% of the roads here are congested and impossible to speed. He found the ONE break in traffic and was nailing people. Can you believe, a five-lane freeway with a car pool lane and max speed limit of 55 MPH. Hawaii sux.

show up to court....most cops don't show up figuring most people will just pay the ticket.

I didn't think you could use Laser while moving. I believe it has to be still in order to be accurate.

I didn't think you could use Laser while moving.  I believe it has to be still in order to be accurate.
Nope, they have Lazers in mounted in the front and rear of the cars now..

i got nabbed from a pig going the other direction to... i went to court and was informed about the lazers...... i also talked with a Dept about it... kool stuff... but i hate getting cought.

Got napped outside of Deals Gap in Murphy, NC thursday.. 18 miles over the speed limit. I was thinking dang I just had the last set of points come off my license in Dec. .. The two speeding tickets I got out of state didn't get reported
biggrin.gif
.. Cop came up told me he stopped me for speeding asked for my license, I apologized for speeding and told him I was looking for a local church and didn't notice the spped limit --and really I was
biggrin.gif
. He ran my tags with the SBI ask gave me directions to the church I asked about and said "Have a nice stay" ...

I thought hey "God is goood" and rode by the church just so I wouldn't feel like I'ld lied to the officer
biggrin.gif
, not to mention I saw him following me after he gave me directions, but I assumed he was just trying to make sure I didn't get lost
biggrin.gif

some cops are really good guys !!!!

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I know it sucks, But just pay the ticket. You got caught thats the way it is, Ive tried to fight plenty of tickets and end up paying more than if i just took care of it in the first place. When you try to dispute it the majastrate always gose with the cops story.
sad.gif

You can try sending in a letter with the ticket.  It is rare but I have seen this work a couple of times.  Then check if Hawaii as rights with your state.  Some info may not go on your record.  Less and less of this now days but still a few states that just want the money and don't bother transfering to your record.

I am sure that Kent will know this.

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1076163326 -->

Show up early and talk to the prosecutor try to give him a song and dance to see if he can lower the penalty.Sometimes you beat the bear and somtimes the bear eats you.

A very well known lawyer told me once to fight every ticket you get. They cannot go up on the price but, they can go down. I have gotten all of my points back just by asking for them, I told the judge I did not care about the money, I just wanted my points and he gave them to me with a reduced fine. If you cannot get back down there to fight the ticket, I guess all you can do is pay it but, every time I showed I got at least a reduction. Good luck

ooooooooooh Doc! The 1 thing i forgot to tell ya was watch the speed over there! Obiously you cant return for a court date and I bet you dont wanna pay the total existing fine with a black mark on your record. Hawaii has no traffic school option like some states, however you are permitted to write a letter to the Judge explaining the situation, thats what I did and fine was cut in half, but it wont come off your record. I would consult an attorney who has expertise in traffic deals... My friend in Seattle has used the same guy 3 times now and has gotten off ( not good grammer ) everytime but it has cost him about $300 each court appearence. Some attorneys get the deal dismissed by all kinds of wierd laws... when was the radar gun last serviced and recalibrated, has the officer been properly trained and certified... anyway you can see what I am sayin.

Yes speed limit is 55mph or less everywhere, and were you in the car pool lane at the wrong time of day? Were you comin down a big hill by Aloha Stadium by chance? Thats where they allways hang out.

I havent got this book yet but I was thinkin about getin it.
Something titled like " how to beat any traffic ticket"

His attitude was poor to say the least.  The fact is, I had a custom low rider truck riding my azz in the car pool lane, he MAY have been going 75, but I was not, plain and simple.

The funny thing is, 90% of the roads here are congested and impossible to speed.  

Hawaii sux.
Yep Hawaii Cops have some real attitude probs and many have Harley's at home.

Traffic is rediculous in Honolulu, that's why a lot of guyz bring their bikes to the big isle of Hawaii to ride, much much less traffic and nicer roads.

Hawaii doesnt suck just Oahu@!

Show up early and talk to the prosecutor try to give him a song and dance to see if he can lower the penalty.Sometimes you beat the  bear and somtimes the bear eats you.
I realize that every place is basically different in how they handle traffic issues, but I have used the same exact method Jetset was talking about and it works quite well, but being as that you probably won't be going back for that bullshit...you might as well write the letter, or call someone with some expertise.

Brian

Hey Doc....long time no see....

I caught the part about a court return bein' impracticle.

Here in the frozen tundra , you can hav a representative show for you in court , plead yer case .Doesn't hav to be a lawyer...they could be your friend,your neighbour,or yer mother-in-laws gynocologist . Then the ol' you showed/they didn't trick might work for ya . Maybe one of the Island brothers would do that 4 ya . Just a thought.

hav a good 1....RSD.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, PAY A TICKET, NEVER!!!!

Fight every last one of them. If you don't get a lawyer then talk to the prosecuter as others have suggested. It isn't about the points, they just want your money.

Work out the points, pay your FEE and keep riding!
biggrin.gif

I hear what u r sayn  dessy.That,s my home Town! But Damn! Wasn,t the 318 curves in 11mi. stretch worth the ride?
LOL!
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|busa1300nut
Reason for Edit: None given...|1076212438 -->

Thanks guys, especially HawaiiBusa!

REMEMBER FOLKS, this happened in Hawaii, 2500 miles from my home. I am not going to ask for a court date. I would love to come over here again, but not to O'ahu and not for a lousy speeding ticket. I think I will send the payment in and write a letter explaining how I was not really going 75, I believe I was going 65-70 MPH.

The cop was nutz and almost got killed trying to pull out into the heavy traffic, what a fool.

Hawaii_Busa: I was legit in the car pool lane, had three people in the car! Yes, it was near the stadium, dahm! There was several other cops there with folks pulled over. You are absolutely correct, Hawaii does NOT suck, just Honollulu. I really do not like it here in the city, too congested and too many tourists (yes, me included). The North shore was nice and I spent all day today up there... I can not wait until September to get to Kona for a week.

Thanks,

Doc

I think I will send the payment in and write a letter explaining how I was not really going 75, I believe I was going 65-70 MPH.
 The North shore was nice and I spent all day today up there...  I can not wait until September to get to Kona for a week.
Doc, it couldnt hurt to check in to the lawyer thing as they may save you money in the long run with points possibly going to your ins company... I would contact your local vegas atty and ask for a recomendation or referal for a Honolulu atty.

Oh and let me know about Kona I may be there then or at least I could tell ya all the cool stuff to see. If you can swing it the " Orchid " hotel is da bomb! but about $200+ per night.

Oh and I can probly tell ya most of the cop speed traps too.
biggrin.gif

Back