Last Nights Ride Home

People will go on their bikes out to far away deserted roads to practice and do top end runs or races from a roll.

People will go and risk all on curvy backroads and some will do whatever it takes to go to a track to practice and perfect their cornering technique.

Very rare you hear of anyone talking about improving their braking technique. Which can be done on any random parking lot early on a sun morn or late evening. Long straight backroads with no traffic can help too. It'll take one hell of a peon of a cop to ticket you for practicing emergency braking. If so a lawyer should take care of it easily.

You may eat through brakepads more doing weekly or bi-weekly practice sessions braking hard on a monster like the busa or ZX-14. Lot better then medical or parts bills. Has saved me alot from the idiot "Good samiritan" drivers that, while in the fast lane of a two lane 45mph business road, will suddenly come to a complete stop to let someone who just got on the road and is in the turning lane move into the fastlane.
crazy.gif
Good braking and quick countersteering and accelerating helped in stopping me from crashing into them and then becoming a sandwich from the cage behind me.

Besides that, always expecting the worst from all drivers helps. No matter how suttle the situation might be. Car turning left way ahead of you while your doing 55mph might be a heap that'll drop half it's exhaust in your path...providing it doesn't stall instead. Always let 'ol murphy's law have some insight on your decisions when riding. It can help alot.

I just LOVE to have excuses to do Neat things I could otherwise never justify to the Wifie  
tounge.gif

Goooooooooo Turbo  
super.gif

I was on a friends Katana about 15 years ago and a 15 passenger dodge van pulled across the oncoming lane and then 98% of the way into mine, He left me about 3 feet of pavement beyond hi bumper most of which was beyond the yellow line. I was going about 65mph. Anyhow he stopped when he saw me coming I was oh maybe 30 feet away at this point and crapping myself. I went off the road to the right basically skidding in a straight line and into the sand, grass and misc other crap that blows off a dirty highway. I somehow saved it and got back to the pavement. I got off of the bike and my legs collapsed I was shaking so bad. The GD van drove by me and beeped as they passed. Nobody stopped... No damage, except my wits, I think I twitched for about 3 hours after I got to where I was going.

Glad you walked away.

(guido4512 @ Apr. 04 2007,08:37) You should have done a Terminator and put your fist thru the windshield. Then pulled her kicking and screaming back through it.  
mad.gif

Idiot drivers...
flamethrowingsmiley.gif

pissed.gif

Could have been ALOT worse. Glad yer OK.
Waaahaahhaaaaaaaaaa...............

TURBO TURBO TURBO !!!!!!!!!!
super.gif

that happend to me the first time i got caute in the rain it was a mini van and there was no stoppie just a lot of sliding i got it stopped about 6 inches from his door glad your ok

Back