The long ride home.

thebbbusa

Donating Member
Registered
What an adventure I had on the way home from work today!

Picture this:

Mostly Sunny
85 Deg
Moderate traffic flow
And it’s Friday afternoon!

So there I am tooling down I-270 at about, ahem, 75ish minding my own business. My exit is coming up so I gracefully leave the fast lane and start making my way to the ramp. Now the ramp that is coming up is one of those ‘round’ ramps that we all try to double the posted limit on, but this time I am taking it relatively easy. So I prepare for the turn, speed is right, lane position is right, rider position on bike is right, let’s do this thing. So I start leaning for the turn. Problem is the bike doesn’t want to lean, she’s trying to stay up. I am rapidly running out of pavement, so I hunker down and force that beast over, but something just doesn’t feel right. So halfway through the turn, I bring it up and then try to lean it again, you know, just to get the feel of it. Again, it was extremely difficult to get it over. By this time, I know something is not right, but what could it be? So I pull up to the red light and begin the inspection from the saddle, I lean over to the right check the rear, looks good, look to the front and “Awe shi#!†Look what I saw:

flat1.jpg

So there I am sitting at the light, my tire is almost flat. By the time the light changes, I am rolling on zero psi! I make my way to the shoulder and attempt to idle the bike down 1 block to the gas station. I finally make it there safe and sound. Now mind you I am on a tight schedule, so I have to come up with a solution ASAP!

First call was to the wife, she’s over a hour and a half away, no good.

Second call was to my buddy with a truck, he’s got the truck but the ramps are half hour away, which means an hour and a half till he can get to me.

Third call was to a motorcycle dealer which was just across the highway from me. Sure, we’ll come and get you, but we can’t work on the bike till Monday! That ain’t gonna work. So I go back into the gas station in search of a solution. Ah ha! Fix a flat, that will do it! So I shell out five bucks for a can of fix it. Go out to the poor bike sitting there looking helpless. I follow the instructions and begin the fill up. Lo and behold, as fast as I am spraying in, it’s squirting out a hole in my tire! By now I am hot and starting to get mad! What ever was so gracious as to puncture my tire didn’t stick around to see the result. According to the can of fix it, you’re not supposed to remove the violator. Well my violator was gone. So what’s that Plan D now, failed. Keep reading, I do have a point…
As I stand there, disgusted, watching traffic go by, a bright red bike peeks my attention. Would you believe it? It was Dudewizr on his way home from work! I gave him a call, but to no avail. Seems you can’t really answer a cell when your ridin’ the beast! LOL

Well, I am just about out of options, I’ve called the wife back by now and told her she needs to make a b-line for Columbus, to pick up our son, cause I ain’t gonna make it. Then, I think I had an epiphany!

Back in the station I ran, back to the aisle where I got the fix it from. Behold, could this be my savior?

plug1.jpg

Five minutes later I am back in action! Call off the wife, call off the truck! Yeah baby! Tire’s temporarily plugged and holdin’ air! Sweet! The kit came with everything I needed and only cost me $1.99. Can’t beat that!

Don’t laugh, I know it looks like hell, but that shi# worked!

So I take it easy for the first few miles, you see, all I wanna do is get home! So back roads it is, and keeping it under 35 to boot. Finally another service station, Check pressure she’s holding steady at 20 psi. Doh! I guess I didn’t put enough air in! So I pump in another 22 psi and head for the freeway. Now I was nervous as all get out, but I said hey, they do this to cars and trucks all the time, it’ll be fine.

Thankfully I made it home in one piece and the bike did just fine. Now I can pull those wheels, and get new shoes for the ol’ girl. I guess it’ll be a little earlier than I wanted, but new shoes for pumpkin tomorrow.

And now there’s a permanent addition to my under hump stash. Yep. Gonna keep that tire fixing kit in there. You never know when you might need it!

I can laugh about it now, but the scary thing is that thing went down in less than a minute. What if I’d stayed on the freeway! Who knows?

Ride safe all! And if your bike seems like she don’t wanna lean and is extremely hard to steer, you’d better check that tire out before it’s too late.

Have a good one!

fixed1.jpg

Glad you were able to make it safely to the gas station. Good point about the fix-a-flat kit. Need to build up my supplies for the hump/rear seat.

You know I would have picked up lil man for ya, B.

Next time you're in a jam give me a holla and not after the incident as you did today, Playa.

I got u'r back !

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122697745 -->

wow.. glad you had your wits about.... o, nice damn story!!! A++ for that!

where did rhythm find you?!??! or vice-versa./..??

you can tell a story to hold onto!!!!

wow.. glad you had your wits about.... o, nice damn story!!!  A++ for that!

where did rhythm find you?!??!   or vice-versa./..??  

you can tell a story to hold onto!!!!
As you can see from my "joined date" I've been trolling around here for some time. I started posting when I put the puzzle together and figured out that Rhythm lives only 10 minutes away. Shortly after that me, Rhythm and Dudewizr hooked up for a wild ride on State Route 555 in SE Ohio.

Rhythm and Dudewizr are good guys, met both here on the board.

Thanks Hayabusa.org!

Dont give'm too much info about me, Playa.
Witness protection !!!!

ok... glad you found "us".  

on another note, how many miles you had on that tire?
Not quite sure really.  I bought the bike used from an older guy who bought a BMW bike, you know, one of those types you see all year round.

The bike had about 8888 miles on it when I got it.  I think both front and rear were original.  The plan was to replace the rear at the end of this season with another 56. Then when both front and rear were ready (Hopefully next round) I was gonna get the Metzelers.  So after today, that plan got moved forward a season or two.  Thats life!

Oh, but to answer your question, I assume there's about 11,500 on those tires, but I am not sure.

<!--EDIT|thebbbusa
Reason for Edit: "How many miles."|1122696812 -->

Oh, but to answer your question, I assume there's about 11,500 on those tires, but I am not sure. [/QUOTE]

Dayyum, I'm lucky to get t 5000 mi on a rear tire.

Oh, but to answer your question, I assume there's about 11,500 on those tires, but I am not sure.

Dayyum, I'm lucky to get t 5000 mi on a rear tire.[/QUOTE]
That's about what I was thinking too. I dunno, maybe I'll check the owner's manual tomorrow and see if he wrote that down. Hell, he wrote everything else in there. I guess judging from the rear, he could've either babied it or it's the second one, and still on the first on the front.

No way to tell for sure I guess.

I keep some of dat green slime shytttt under my seat. Good point about tire plug kit. Mini co2 and a plug will at least get you home.

Good thinkin.

SO HOW WAS THURSDAY?

ICE

I keep some of dat green slime shytttt under my seat. Good point about tire plug kit. Mini co2 and a plug will at least get you home.

Good thinkin.

SO HOW WAS THURSDAY?

ICE
[/QUOTE]

I had to abort the roll out !
mad.gif

Glad you made it out OK. Good point on that tire repair kit. Nice lil addition for the trunk:D

Back