One foot stop at light...

I was trained left foot down. Control rear brake on take off and cornering.
I tend to alternate depending on the length of the stop and will shift to neutral if the stop is looking to be a longer one.
rarely do both legs - just looks like cruiser territory

I tend to alternate depending on the length of the stop and will shift to neutral if the stop is looking to be a longer one.

Don't know who trained you but the teaching standard is both feet down.

In this way if there is any pea gravel, anti-freeze, oil, etc on the road you don't end up needing a "cruiser" rider to help pick your bike up.

Cornering I get, but why would you need the rear brake during take off?

I was taught it is so you don’t roll forward or back.

It is taught when stopping on a hill, both feet are down, there is a transition between front brake and rear brake just before moving off in order to regain throttle control.

Teaching standards are both feet down all the time. Putting just one foot down is a bad habit and will result in a tip over (or near tip over) at some point.

The sole of my left boot always wears more. When nearing a stop I’m paying attention to the road surface and if I spot sand or anything slippery I change from front to rear braking for all the obvious reasons. I did stop once with only one foot down and it took my three tries to regain position as my foot slid away over some sand. Almost laid it over (in slow motion). :laugh: I almost always take off with both feet down.

Just wondering how many of you just put one foot down at a stoplight. I have been doing it for so long it is awkward using two feet.
BTW, I put the left down. Sometime at long lights I will put two down after I stop and shift into neutral.

Also when I take off my foot goes up right away.
That's odd. I would have thought you would lean right not left. See what I did there? Ha ha ha ha

2 feet always. Even up or down hill. Right hand index finger holds brake,rest of the hand controls throttle.
I can understand 1 foot thou...it's the cool way.
Rubb.

That's odd. I would have thought you would lean right not left. See what I did there? Ha ha ha ha
Lol...back when I got the habit I was left leaning.
Let's not turn this into another political thread...I can't take any more.
What if I'm a righty,but I dress on the left?
Actually,it doesn't matter,I'm Andydexterous.
Rubb.

cursin.gif

I'm always using my right foot, or both. I cant seem to get comfortable taking off from my left foot. I can take off from my right and both just fine. I know both feet is the safest option. I tend to only do both when I am sitting a light for awhile, or if I notice there is sand/gravel etc.

Iowa teaches left foot down. Your right foot on the brake.
I'm always using my right foot, or both. I cant seem to get comfortable taking off from my left foot. I can take off from my right and both just fine. I know both feet is the safest option. I tend to only do both when I am sitting a light for awhile, or if I notice there is sand/gravel etc.
Well Corey,its a good thing you live in Kentucky...'cause in Iowa you may have gotten bad news on your road test. :laugh:
Rubb.

failed-stamp.jpg

When I was teaching the courses, I'd never fail anyone for not putting both feet down however, I'd encourage the rider to put both feet down and have my junior instructors to do the same.

A rider may put one foot down for years and years, then they come to the one stop when there is something on the road they didn't see and then they are down...it only takes a second for this to happen.

Yes, there are times when I only put one foot down but only on roads I really know-when in doubt, I put both down.

With top-heavy bikes and without a perfectly balanced stop the bike will fall to a side pretty hard. If that side of the road is slick, the alternate foot cannot help pull one back up. It seems that putting effort into the most gentle and perfectly balanced stop is as important or even more important than a devout habit of a double landing. Good luck to those on a steep decline with a decreasing radius turn that ends in a stop sign! I know I just pray that the road there is as clean as a whistle as landing it perfectly is unlikely for me, except on my best days.

For these reasons I would love to travel around town with two gallons of gas, saving the weight from the rest of the fuel capacity and reducing the muscle to hold the bike up. However my mechanic disagrees and thus I keep it full. (Sorry but it appears Suzuki needs a lesson from Honda on internal tank protection.)

Will a biker in Iowa feel discrimination when he rolls up to his licence test on his old Harley with a left foot actuated clutch? What then? :laugh:
I gotta get outa this thread BEFORE I say something stoopid.:D
After any complete stop,on any surface the use of 2 feet down, 1 finger on the front brake. How can you go wrong. Ever felt movement from the wind or rigs,buses going by at a stop? Add a slippery surface,full tank bag,full hard bags,a fat pillion.:p IDK...I let you guys figure out the common sense approach on this one.
Rubb.

Back