Difficulty Getting Bike Into Neutral

Carm Mast

Registered
hey guys I have a 2001 Busa and lately getting the bike into neutral has been an issue
It shifts through all the gears pretty smoothly but when I'm at a stop light the thing doesn't want to go into neutral, keeps jumping from one to two no matter how lightly I click on the clutch.
any suggestions? There hasn't been a clutch mod done as far as I know but then again a bought it used a couple years ago.....thanks

Haven't had an issue with the busa, but I have had bies that I had to blurb the throttle just a bit to hit neutral. Maybe try that. Don't know why it works but it does.

Possible leak in the slave cylinder seals , or any one of 3 shift forks in the tranny could be bent , maybe worse.

I've read a bit about the shift forks being bent....the thing is that it's only hard to get the clutch in neutral the gears are all fine .... I'm curious @TIMMYDUCK why you think it may be that?
Just so I can do some more research.. thanks

Just my own personal experience from owning 4 different Gen 1's. over 16 years

Always bought new , and have learned there idiosyncrasy's.

Tell us your mileage 1st, then start trouble shooting it .

1. Do you have old fluid in your clutch line ? Yes ? then change it out .

2. Are the master and slave cylinders in proper working order ? Yes ? Continue to #3

3. Can the bike take wide open throttle to red line up thru 3rd with no hiccups in tranny ?

My gut feeling is your getting due for a tranny job, and putting in the undercut second gear and perhaps one or more new shift forks.

Don't feel bad , happens to the best of us , myself included.

These guys are great for rebuilding the tranny's

I have no affiliation with them except being a customer.

http://www.fastbygast.com/

Hundreds of speed shops and racers rely on Fast By Gast transmissions services. This is one of our shop specialties. From our many years of Research and Development, and racing efforts, we simply know what works.
Is your sport bike popping out of gear? We can fix it, quickly and inexpensively.
You want your transmission to shift perfectly? We know how to do it
Ship your transmission to Fast By Gast, you'll be glad you did!

Last edited:
I have aprox 40000 miles on it
Installed a full two bros racing exhaust and was dyno tuned last year
No issue on the dyno when the mechanic was red lining it during shifts
I bought the bike used 3 years ago...it was very clean and I have had regular service done to it.
I'm waiting for my buell mod to come in and my hellybars and I'll go to the mechanic and have him do a once over while he does my installs.
Thought maybe I could try and figure it out.....been riding for 20 years mostly 750cc sport bikes, this is my first Big bike never had this issue before

Guess you should inspect all things clutch first.

Clutch pack.

https://www.mpsracing.com/products/FBG/clutchplate.asp

Can you do your own service ?

One other thing to look at that is very simple to do is the push rod.

When was the last time your front sprocket cover was off ?

I have seen them so junked up from dirt and grime that they wouldn't completely dis-engage the clutch.

Sometimes it's the simplest of things .

Last edited:
Back