Features I Though Would Be Common Now On Motorcycles

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
Are there any features you thought would be common on motorcycles but haven't caught on?

1. Electrically shifted automatic transmissions. Almost all cars have the option for auto or manual shifting. I expected to see bikes with push button shifters on the left bar. Especially on touring bikes. A computer would adjust shift rpm and maybe the would be tied into ride modes?

2. Inertial brake lights. These are operated by g's automatically. They would also flash when the bike is stopped like at a light.

3. GPS speedometers.

4. Automatically canceled turn indicators.

5. Helmet mounted brake lights and lighted clothes.

6. More OEM bikes with dragster aesthetics. MV's dragster is the only one I can think of.

7. A good, lite cool suit or vest.

8. Auto oiling, enclosed chains on sport touring & adventure bikes.

9. Easy to adjust foot pegs. Pull a pin and move them back & forth, up down; etc. You can do it at a gas stop with no tools.

10. Fat "foot" on kick stands so they are more steady on dirt or gravel.

11. Bike to Bike com system with an open connect feature. Ride by someone and you can temporarily talk to them.

Are there any features you thought would be common on motorcycles but haven't caught on?

1. Electrically shifted automatic transmissions. Almost all cars have the option for auto or manual shifting. I expected to see bikes with push button shifters on the left bar. Especially on touring bikes. A computer would adjust shift rpm and maybe the would be tied into ride modes?

NOT interested in auto shifting my motorcycle.

2. Inertial brake lights. These are operated by g's automatically. They would also flash when the bike is stopped like at a light.

How would this work in the twisties with severe (G loading) up and down shifts? Brake light coming on over and over?

3. GPS speedometers.

A simple calibrated speedo would not require a GPS connection. Oddly, my 39 yr old Honda has a spot on speedo.

4. Automatically canceled turn indicators.

YEEAH!!!

5. Helmet mounted brake lights and lighted clothes.

Now now, helmets are not on the parts list for motorcycles.

6. More OEM bikes with dragster aesthetics. MV's dragster is the only one I can think of.

?????

7. A good, lite cool suit or vest.

Again, not related to the manufacture of a motorcycle.

8. Auto oiling, enclosed chains on sport touring & adventure bikes.

Just as soon as it's perfected with no over oiling, no under oiling and NO drips or leaks.

9. Easy to adjust foot pegs. Pull a pin and move them back & forth, up down; etc. You can do it at a gas stop with no tools.

Great idea!

10. Fat "foot" on kick stands so they are more steady on dirt or gravel.

They work well in sand but look awful once they're up. They also require more space in the up position. Pocket sized kickstand pads are readily available. I've only forgotten one....

11. Bike to Bike com system with an open connect feature. Ride by someone and you can temporarily talk to them.

Really, a 'motorcycle' feature?

1. Honda has done for few years now I think the DCT will explode in bike they are putting it in more bikes every year.

Think a lot of things could be little to no cost to the manufacturers but other things it just comes to cost will the consumer spend that much more for a motorcycle??? Most bikes are selling for cheap car prices.

Well , I'm still waiting for my very own George Jetsen hover cycle thingy .... total letdown that idea ended up being.... , thanks for nothing Hanna Barberra , luv'd that cartoon tho . Always wondered why Electra Gide Harleys did not feature an ashtray , way back in the day , when Marlborough Man was still looking half healthy ! I have tried auto gears ( of clutch sorts , :laugh: ) when I was a kid , the Honda Monkey bike alias fat porky bike ... and I tell you now , me and my buddy would look with envy at those gear changing 2 stroke rockets that were RM's , YZ's , KX 's , CR's 80cc , or even XR 75 Hondas ... all which were unobtainable to us spotty faced camel smoking delinquents . No I'm over wishing for all that ....but I do like the thought of a bright led panel fitted to back of your helmet , with different messages for cars around you to read .... , such as , rate my riding , ring 1800kissmy@$$ ...etc , :laugh: you get the idea ..!

1. GPS speedo. Yes 2. Auto cancel turn signal, many bikes use to have them. Yes. 3. Adjustable foot pegs. Yes. The rest is gold wing crap

Many of the things u mention already exist is many bikes. Like mentioned, Honda has done many of this already in the vfr line.
Troy

Surprisingly Harley has had auto cancel turn signals for well over a decade..... My 07 NightRod had em

As previously mentioned Honda has a DCT system on some of their bikes like the Africa Twin. You can go automatic or manual and use paddle shifter controls on handlebar. The only thing I can see from it is that the cost and weight goes up vs regular models

The main thing that I thought would be more standard on bikes is LED lighting....??? You can give me Brembo brakes, TFT speedos, and quickshifters but on a back country road in the middle of the night I can see sh@t!!! :banghead:

Surprisingly Harley has had auto cancel turn signals for well over a decade..... My 07 NightRod had em

As previously mentioned Honda has a DCT system on some of their bikes like the Africa Twin. You can go automatic or manual and use paddle shifter controls on handlebar. The only thing I can see from it is that the cost and weight goes up vs regular models

Only thing that I thought would be more standard on bikes is LED lighting....??? You can give me Brembo brakes, TFT speedos, and quickshifters but on a back country road in the middle of the night I can see sh@t!!! :banghead:

Many of the things u mention already exist is many bikes. Like mentioned, Honda has done many of this already in the vfr line.
Troy

Yes. My post was about things that I thought would be standard stuff on bikes not necessarily innovative stuff no one has. The Honda is a true automatic trans and so adds weight and has some issues associated with the technology. I would have thought someone would have attached an actuator to a manual transmission controlled by a micro computer to shift (maybe 1-2 lbs max?).

The problem with "future concepts" is they are designed by artists, presumably artist who have never ridden a bicycle, let alone a motorcycle. I see so many design efforts that are working against the known dynamics of fast motorcycles.

Cruise should be standard on every bike 500cc and up. Adaptive cruise should be an option if not standard. NO ONE has to use a cruise if they don't want to.
Adjustable handle bars should be standard too as one size does NOT fit all. That means longer brake/clutch lines need to be standard too.
Bigger gas tanks up to 10 gallons so we can take advantage of low gas prices before they jump up for almost no reason except for the executives to make more money.
Grip and seat heaters/coolers as I have heated and cooled seats in my SUV why can't they be put on a bike?
Built in cameras to prove someone turned left in front of you etc.
Air conditioning and heating ports with lines that could be inserted into any jacket if desired.
Better protection so in the event of a tip over it doesn't cost $3K to get it fixed.
Flashing brake lights that flash until you've been stopped for 15 seconds or longer.

I could go on - but the point is there is a lot that could be made standard but the manufacturers are afraid that the higher
prices would mean lower sales numbers or lower profit for themselves or that it would cut into the aftermarket suppliers - who knows......

I agree with bobh. There are a lot of OEM parts I remove or want to remove. I'd rather choose my own components. There are a number of items on the list in the OP that anyone would want (like automatically cancelling turn signals and GPS speedo) but if most of the rest would make the bike more expensive, I'd rather pick from the aftermarket. Of course, that ends up being a huge cost in addition to the bike but that's more reason to keep the cost of the bike down. Aftermarket components also offer a variety of options and often, they offer better performance for specific applications than OEMs which are designed to cover all the bases. I'm satisfied with the list of standard equipment. It's grown to include antilock brakes and TC on a lot of bikes. I don't think the list needs to be longer at this point.

Back