Need some help with a Gen 1 foot shift

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I was out riding and the bike was shifting like a champ. Then suddenly, the foot shift seemed to be stuck in a downwards position. I could move the shifter up and down with my hand, but I could not get it into first. I rode it home in third and started adjusting the shifter up and down, but it is still not moving any gears. The green light does not flash as it passes through every gear as it usually does, and I can't get it into neutral. So, the bike won't start. Beyond the two rubber balls that have brass threaded connectors and the rod that adjusts up and down, I don't know any more about what is happening when the rod moves to shift. It's almost as if something broke and no longer moves when the rod pushes the lever. Can someone give some guidance. I can't even ride it to a dealer the way it is, since it won't start. Floyd

take some pics...might help...did the connection bar turn and loose adjustment ( ie nut backed out of either end of bar)

take some pics...might help...did the connection bar turn and loose adjustment ( ie nut backed out of either end of bar)
Nope, the bar is secure in both sockets. It acts like it's shifting (the small lever at the front of the bar moves), but nothing is happening. It's in gear, because you can't roll it more than 6" in either direction. It just won't shift up or down. I'll snap some pics tomorrow. I have no idea what is happening where the lever goes into the case. Maybe some internal part snapped? Maybe I should post in a different forum? Floyd

Re: Need some help with a Gen 1 foot shift -- it's fixed!

DAMN I FEEL STUPID! Someone at SH.org reminded me that it should start in any gear. It does if the stand isn't down. As soon as it started, I could get it into neutral. Thanks to all, I wasn't getting any email notification, and really feeling down, since I just went and got tags. Floyd

Your not the 1st guy to have that problem. Glad to hear its not a real problem and your shifting challenges are over.

Your not the 1st guy to have that problem. Glad to hear its not a real problem and your shifting challenges are over.
Thanks. I have never owned a bike that wasn't fussy about shifting with engine off.

glad it was nothing . I thought you broke a shifting rod inside

glad it was nothing . I thought you broke a shifting rod inside
Me too. I love this bike, and I didn't get to ride last summer because of a knee replacement. I rode it today with no problems. Thanks again to everyone!

Back