Only able to shift 1st, 2nd and neutral...lots of play

02BusaMark

Registered
On my way to work this morning, I went to shift from 2nd to third and noticed the shifter stay in the up position- could not shift into third. I could down shift to 1st and go into neutral. Clutch pulls in and seems to be working fine. Tried several times... able to get out of neutral, down to first, up to second and then would not go up any more and would not shift into third.

When I parked the bike, I checked to see if the shifter adjustment was loose, but bolt was nice and tight. The shifter itself was loose though. There was a ton of play moving it up and down with my hand.

Any ideas before parts start to come off? Is there a tension spring in the front sprocket cover? Possible shift rod issues? Tranny issues?

Any help is appreciated.

Sounds like the shift spring broke.
You need to remove the sprocket cover, and the the shifter cover to see.

If its not there, it will be something inside the motor!

Well, maybe I'll take it apart first. There are a lot of little parts that could be eff'd.

2171_23.gif

You will have to be patient to get the one bolt out of the cover. I had to use an 8mm open end wrench, and take the bolt out with the cover itself. DOn't forget to put the bolt in the cover BEFORE you put the cover back on. The bolt will not come all the way out, as it hits the inside of the frame.

If it is the shift spring, it is #14 in the lower pic!

it is awsome that you can get the detailed service from here...good luck on the fix

Finally tackling this job. Got the sprocket cover. Didn't realize the water pump had to come off. This is gonna be a bigger job than I anticipated.

May stop for the night and drink beer.

Spring # 24 in the top pic. My 04 did the same thing. the cover is a little tricky to get off but it colnd be done. The shifter just lay's there and is will not center itself. I would reccommend replacing this spring any time the eng is out of you have nothing better do do with a few buck's and some free time. It's very common on street bike's and dirt bike's for this spring to break. Good luck!!!!

Drained the coolant and pulled the water pump. No need to drain the oil. Still can't get the bottom 8mm bolt out. Had company and it started raining in the garage- maybe tackle it today. Gonna see about picking up a wrench with a deeper bend in it. What were the engineers thinkin when they did that??

Remember, they engineered the motor for their thoughts and ease, not yours. Its like working on a C-130 motor. In the kit and on the wing, pita. Out of the kit, on a stand, CAKE!

Its a bish but take pics so we can see what your doing!

Drained the coolant and pulled the water pump. No need to drain the oil. Still can't get the bottom 8mm bolt out. Had company and it started raining in the garage- maybe tackle it today. Gonna see about picking up a wrench with a deeper bend in it. What were the engineers thinkin when they did that??

Just need the right tools...picked up some off set box wrenches and got it. Do need to drain some oil. I'll post up some pics in a sec...

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

Back