What does it mean when......

wirles

Registered
Your at a stop in neutral and you have the clutch in and shift into first and it doesn't shift smoothly, almost sounds like grinding. I was in neutral and blip the throttle a second, as the rpm's were coming down I shifted into first and it made that sound. It has done it occasionally just idling, and I have noticed this on other bikes before. I am just wondering if someone can explain this for me.

Thanks,
Bill

its normal i wouldent blip the throttle as i put it in first you said as the rpms came down you put it in first, just make sure your at idle when you throw into first and dont slowly push down on the shift lever shift it into first with authority
smile.gif

First gear sounds are fairly normal! Might want to change the oil and see if it helps! Semi-synthetic made the sounds a lil less spectacular on Lamb's machine! Good luck!

(Lamb busa @ Aug. 28 2007,23:04) First gear sounds are fairly normal!  Might want to change the oil and see if it helps!  Semi-synthetic made the sounds a lil less spectacular on Lamb's machine!  Good luck!
lamb has perfected the third person speaking......

(OZZY @ Aug. 28 2007,20:37)
(Lamb busa @ Aug. 28 2007,23:04) First gear sounds are fairly normal!  Might want to change the oil and see if it helps!  Semi-synthetic made the sounds a lil less spectacular on Lamb's machine!  Good luck!
lamb has perfected the third person speaking......
Over_Easy agrees...
laugh.gif

"Mongo like ice cream."

MongoBut200JPG.jpg

You never know what first gear will do in that situation; not go in and you have to keep pressure on it, clang in and make the bike jump, just clang in. It's usually nasty. I always do it at idle. Forgot, sometimes you have to ease the clutch out to get it to go in.

Why I don't know or as Lamb would say, " Why, Lamb not know"

A hard snap into gear is normal for the busa, but A Grinding Noise ---- NO WAY ! Are you aggressively putting it into gear ? That's the way you should do it and NOT just ease the pedel down into gear. If your hearing grinding something is wrong ! My .02 cents  
beerchug.gif

Stop blipping in neutral when looking for first. You're hurting the gears. Wait until rpms hit 1100, THEN, shift first with a steady, smooth motion.

Yo Lamb, you're running a semi-synthetic
rock.gif

PM me.

(dadofthree @ Aug. 28 2007,20:50) You never know what first gear will do in that situation; not go in and you have to keep pressure on it, clang in and make the bike jump, just clang in. It's usually nasty. I always do it at idle. Forgot, sometimes you have to ease the clutch out to get it to go in.

That sounds a little more like caveman Lamb........

(The Big Red One @ Aug. 29 2007,20:04)
(dadofthree @ Aug. 28 2007,20:50) You never know what first gear will do in that situation; not go in and you have to keep pressure on it, clang in and make the bike jump, just clang in. It's usually nasty. I always do it at idle. Forgot, sometimes you have to ease the clutch out to get it to go in.

That sounds a little more like caveman Lamb........
fate always shifts from neutral to first like you mean it. He says that it is a busa, don't be gentle with it.
tounge.gif

The motor is running, clutch not fully engaged, and what you hear are the gears meshing. Used to have it on an old Virago, but the clutch wasn't the best.

Want to duplicate it, don't have the clutch pulled in completely (but not enough to move the bike) then slooowly push the shifter down.

When at a stop light. Pull the lever fully, no gas and just firmly push the shifter down quickly. No problem.
smile.gif

Back