Air shifter problems

vailes3705

Registered
I recently put an air shifter on my Busa. I'm using the Spencer Cycle mount for the cylinder that places it under the foot peg. The issue I'm having is at WOT it keeps missing 2nd gear. Goes into all the other gears just fine, just either misses 2nd completely of pops out just after engaging. I know the Gen 1 has the well known second gear issue but I don't think that's the problem with mine since it shifts fine when I'm foot shifting. Only time I have any trouble is when air shifting. Just wondering if anyone else may have had this problem with this type of cylinder mount?

you need to adjust linkage and make sure ram is not mounted tight to the under peg mount...

the 1-2 shift is the longest shift, so be sure to put in first gear then make adjustment to get right throw..i think when in first there should be 1/8" of ram shaft showing.. don't quote me cause directions not in front of me. the rest of the shifts will be fine..

I do have the ram mounted tight. I'll loosen it some and adjust the linkage in the morning. Hopefully that will help. Thanks for the reply.

Well I tried every adjustment possible and it still would not hit second with that bracket. I finally mounted the ram the other way by tapping/threading the motor mount bolt for the top of the cylinder and drilling a hole in the shift lever for the clevis. Now it's working like a champ. Made about 12 trial runs and never missed a shift. figured I would post this up in case anyone else ever runs into this problem.

Well I tried every adjustment possible and it still would not hit second with that bracket. I finally mounted the ram the other way by tapping/threading the motor mount bolt for the top of the cylinder and drilling a hole in the shift lever for the clevis. Now it's working like a champ. Made about 12 trial runs and never missed a shift. figured I would post this up in case anyone else ever runs into this problem.

Sounds like there was a leverage issue or something along the lines of actually getting that longer throw from 1-2 to fully engage 2nd gear. I have mine mounted through the motor mount bolt and has never failed me

Mounting the air shifter ram vertically to the motor mount bolt is a mistake that you will pay for eventually down the road. The problem with that install - which MANY busas have - is the "play" in the shift linkage itself. Grab the shift lever and wiggle it around - see how sloppy it is? The air shifter has to take up that slop and then the lever will start to move. The Spencer Cycle mount has a clamp that goes on the shift linkage rod, close to the shift shaft, which is good. But the rear of the shifter ram - opposite the plunger - has to be mounted loosely - it has to be able to pivot and move freely. We prefer the ADAMS mount - it goes under the shifter horizontally and acts directly on the shift shaft coming out of the motor, totally eliminating any freeplay.:laugh:

Back