Son just got is 1st flat tire and I supervised

Dan

Married to HRH Grammy
Donating Member
Registered
My older boy called about an hour ago that he had a flat on the way to work and said he didn't have a jack.  I know when he got the car I checked that, but he is stranded so I load up my 2 1/2 ton floor jack with a 4' handle (cheater bar), my 4 way lug wrench and my wife who wants to tag along.

As we pull up a local LEO was just pulling up as well so he turned on the lights and blocked traffic for us  
ThumbsUp.gif
.  I unload the jack and lug wrench from the back of the car, hand it to him and tell him I'll walk him through it.  He looked a little disappointed  
laugh.gif
.  The LEO and I were chatting and looking at the flat tire and notice that there is one hell of a dent in the rim and the sidewall was blown out.  The officer also pointed out that the rear rim was bent as well.  There is s curve in the road right by were he stopped and the officer said that lots of people hit the curb there.

It only took a few minutes for him to change the tire (and yes, there was a jack in the trunk) and we all get back in to our cars.  I'm parked behind him and he starts to roll backwards, then stops.  Then he does it again.  Next his hazzards come on.  My wife, the officer and I all get back out of the cars to see what is going on.  He can't get the car to start.  I give it a try and the motor turns over but the car won't start.

I ask my wife to take him to work while I figure out what is going on.  It's then that I noticed a red light on the instrument panel that says Fuel Shutoff.  His car is has an impact sensor that cuts off the fuel supply in the event of a wreck.  HE HIT THE CURB SO DAMN HARD HE BLEW OUT A TIRE, BENT TWO RIMS AND ACTIVATED THE IMPACT SENSOR!!!

I reset the sensor and drove the car home. It is a good thing his mom had taken him to work before I found that. He is going to have some nice bills coming his way and I'm not going to pay it for him. If he can't cover hit, we will work out a payment plan (with down payment).
firedevil.gif

The poor kid had to do it with an audience. He did good once he got started.

Interesting... That he didn't know how to carry out this task already. No shop classes I assume? No real garage time, never made him change the oil?

Better late than never.
beerchug.gif

glad he was not hurt....I wrecked a few times in my adolescene. Live and learn.

It will do no good to make him feel too bad...he had to be scared already for a cop to pull up knowing he hit the curb....someone probably saw/heard him and called.

Interesting... That he didn't know how to carry out this task already. No shop classes I assume? No real garage time, never made him change the oil?

Better late than never.
beerchug.gif
Not really. Neither of my boys have any interest in anything mechanical. I offered to teach him how to change the oil, but he said he would rather pay someone to do it. I've made them watch when I do it but I guess he never paid attention.

Like I said, he did well and followed instructions.

The LEO was great, tried to put him at ease and even defended him saying this happened a lot at this part of the road. I was wearing my org hoodie and we talked a little about bikes for a bit too.

Nice going Dad. Sounds like the whole deal was good for everybody.
thumb_up.gif

Helps to have the right cop on hand too.

RSD.

Adam_12_Photograph_C12149477.jpg

Back