I hate to say it, but I called it....

sorry for your co workers brother. too bad he didn't listen to you the 1st time cause' we wouldn't be reading about it.

:beerchug: for what you do, cant make someone listen even if they hear ya....i got pulled over the opther day by an officer that arrested me way back 22 years ago....he remembered me and asked if i had got in any sort of trouble in the last 22 years..i said no sir I listend to you back then..he checked my story and came back with a warning and shook my hand and thanked me...said not very often he see's someone turn there life around

:beerchug: for what you do, cant make someone listen even if they hear ya....i got pulled over the opther day by an officer that arrested me way back 22 years ago....he remembered me and asked if i had got in any sort of trouble in the last 22 years..i said no sir I listend to you back then..he checked my story and came back with a warning and shook my hand and thanked me...said not very often he see's someone turn there life around

And not very often we hear stories like that. Good on you!

I wish there was a mag or website that just reported about the good stuff, just to counter-balance all the negative crap we read about. Listening to the news nowadays you would think that everything in this flippin' world is evil and horrible.

Good stories never get any press, anymore.

Sad to hear... :(

Do you think if you took him to jail when you caught him the first time, it would have slowed him down...?

Trouble is that it seems EVRYONE says thatto us when they find out we own a 'Busa or sport bike in general. * sigh* When we control destiny with our right wrist we all need to accept the consequences.

Troubling news, prayers to family.
Only comfort is- it's all part of His plan.
:sigh:

It's sad that he didn't learn before it happened.

I would of had his brother make the call on what to do about his riding performance right then and there.

You called it,yet you didn't use the reason the laws were put in place... to Save Lives! think of the other cages that took part in the accident. They got to "Pre" identify for his brother. Potential scars they'll have to live with the rest of their lives.

Don't get me wrong,but how many people just forget the reaming they get from officers ten minutes down the road? I just think more then one lesson could be learned from this story.

R.I.P

You have an unrealistic expectation of law enforcement. We don't write every person we stop. Just the opposite. Traffic officers do, sure, but I personally issue far more warnings. For the vast majority of motorists, the simple act of getting pulled over changes their driving habits. I had no reason to think it would be any different in this case. I even took the extra step of making an appeal to a family member to reinforce my actions taken against the brother. Unfortunately it didn't work this time. It doesn't mean that one of the lessons learned is that everyone stopped automatically deserves a ticket.

The troubling part of this story is his brother said, "Good, I hope that idiot kills himself on that thing." I know he didn't mean it, but man, it's got to be weighing on his mind right now.

That is sad news, done the same thing myself with a friends nephew and told him he was going to kill himself. Makes you made enough to yell at them, but they aren't listening anymore now than they did then. It is such a terrible loss and it isn't much better for the drivers involved.

About a month ago I saw a Katana 600 screaming like a bat out of hell through a residential area. At every stop sign he'd gun it hard trying to make that little Katana scream like a sport bike. He was zipping in and out of traffic. I followed him until he made it home where I turned on my overhead lights and jumped out. He took his helmet off and it was the brother of one of my fellow officers. I chewed his ass and explained that the only reason he wasn't going to jail was because I knew and respected his brother. I told him if he kept riding like that he was going to kill himself.

I then told his brother that he needed to have a sit-down with him because he was going to kill himself riding like that.

Yesterday he was zipping in and out of traffic somewhere around Dallas and dropped it. It sounds like he would have made it if it weren't for the two cars behind him that treated him like a speed bump. I understand when my fellow officer went in to identify his brother, he couldn't do it. He said his brother didn't even look like a human being.

The point of the story is that if someone says you're going to kill yourself riding the way you do, you probably are.

You have an unrealistic expectation of law enforcement. We don't write every person we stop. Just the opposite. Traffic officers do, sure, but I personally issue far more warnings. For the vast majority of motorists, the simple act of getting pulled over changes their driving habits. I had no reason to think it would be any different in this case. I even took the extra step of making an appeal to a family member to reinforce my actions taken against the brother. Unfortunately it didn't work this time. It doesn't mean that one of the lessons learned is that everyone stopped automatically deserves a ticket.

Based on what you state he was not only endangering himself but other people so I ask you, what is a realistic expectation of law enforcement?

Did you give him a warning?

Assuming you only stop people who are breaking the law, why wouldn't everyone you stop deserve a ticket?

Where do you draw the line? Had this guy been drunk would you have just "chewed him out" because he was the brother of a fellow officer? Why or why not?

Would he be more deserving of a ticket if his brother was not a fellow officer?

Was his driving record clean?

I don't like the fact that police pick and choose how and when to enforce the law. I see it more of an institutional problem than a problem with any individual police officer but one that injects subjectivity into the law for some offenses.

Truth is this guy is dead because of his own behavior but I wonder if maybe the law were enforced, or if tools were provided to police officers beyond tickets and fines, could it have been a wake up call that saved his life?

Last edited:
It is sad news when someone dies, but he should have learned from his chat with you. That is the problem with younger riders. They think that they are the best and nothing can hurt them.

Sad indeed!

You cant always get thru to some people!

You probably lost him at the point when you informed him that cause he has family in the force,that he has a get out of jail free card pinned to his forehead. Hence any lecture you gave went out the window. It's very possible you may have inadvertently gave him the OK to ride the way he wants.

I agree that a good talking to does merit some good,but you must maintain that "Fear" in the words of wisdom.

This is the same guy most would have applauded for not giving you or another board member a ticket.

Now since some kid got himself killed people want to point fingers?

The OP had every reason to believe that at the time of the stop the brother would be able to have more impact than a ticket would (Plus the kid is driving a katana so he doesn't exactly have much funds to pay a ticket :rofl: )

I never said everyone should deserve a ticket. However you stated that this guy should of went to jail and reason for him not going is cause of "professional courtesy".

Careful about what you post about your job on open forums like this. Stuff can sometimes be used against you. Take for instance... One of the people who ran over the Brother seen this thread and contacted a lawyer and wants to sue for being mentally scar'd from the accident. The way the laws can be manipulated can possibly come back and haunt you. It's a shame that society has progressed to stuff like this,but it's not "Unrealistic".

Back