So what's your highest?

So what's the highest gas mileage you have gotten?

• Less than 30 mpg

Votes: 15 5.4%
  • Somewhere around 36

Votes: 37 13.3%
  • maybe 39

Votes: 24 8.6%
  • about 41

Votes: 32 11.5%
  • not more than 43

Votes: 35 12.6%

Votes: 29 10.4%

Votes: 13 4.7%

Votes: 7 2.5%

Votes: 29 10.4%
  • 50 or more (and I only ride downhill, both ways)

Votes: 57 20.5%

• Total voters

AJAY

Registered
Went riding with my coworker Sara on Sunday. Realized pretty quickly that she barely ever (as in ever) winds her bike out.

And you bought a sport bike (FZ6) exactly why?

She did however take me to a particularly good road that was new to me and waived for me to go ahead. Even better, after 11 miles of tasty curves and going, umm, exactly at the upper end of the speed limit, I had the good fortune to run up behind a rental Ryder truck going, umm, somewhat at the lower end of the speed limit. This was fortunate for me because there were two friendly police cars waiting at the end of the road just in case anybody might be going faster than the speed limit.

With that out of my system, I decided to just set a nice, easy pace for Sara to follow me, keeping it somewhere between 35 and 50, just loafing in 5th and 6th with the occasional downshift or two in some tighter turns.

Hmmm, wonder what gas mileage she 's getting with all this 2000-3000 rpm cruising? Push a button and see 40 mpg on little gauge on the panel. 41.6, 41.8, few more miles 43. Ok, now I'm getting into Prius territory, so I *really* start babying her (which means still out accelerating all cars).

By the end of the ride she was showing 46.6 mpg. A new record (at least for me!). Before this ride I had never gotten over 39 and change.

Ok, so I blew it blasting onto the highway on the way home, but it was nice to see she could do it. Still ended the day with her at 43+ mpg.

So what's your highest?

Last edited:
I gassed up in W. Yellowstone and cruised all over the park and then gassed up in Cody WY. First and only time I got mileage in the high forties. What a day that was.....:bowdown:

When my bike was stock, if I reset the gauge while riding on the highway at 50 - 65 mph, I would get 50 mpg, but 1 stop, and go, and it would drop. Now with a full system, and map I usually get 30 - 38 mpg. A little more if I baby it, and a little less if I'm having fun.

not to jack your thread, but kinda along the same lines as this. If you guys are just cruising down a road, say 35 mph, what gear would you guys be in. And what rpm do you like to be in going down the highway (55 mph) ?

I got 48 mpg once on the highway, staying in 6th all the time. Otherwise somwhere in 30s when having fun.

I am shocked at the hi - low rang of MPG I get with the 'Busa .

Highway I get high 40s even under "spirited" acceleration with my liter bike friends .

City commuting I get high 20s just moping around with lots of stops .

I have gotten as high as 46-48 range and as low as 17-19 range. This is figuring myself not going by the gauge.

KennyM4 to answer your question I usually try to keep my RPMs in the 3500-4000 range while cruising whatever gear that may be.

Going by the gauge on the bike, around 44-45 cruising on the slab. Drops back down in the 30s out on the country roads. Most of the time there I use 5th gear since I seldom drop under 60mph. May pull it back a gear or 2 to pass a car.

When i was planning on buying a Suzuki Hayabusa, mileage was the very last thing on the list to consider... Wait.... No.. it did not even make the list. If I was commuting on it i may have been ..???

before i changed my sprocket i got 48 and even got 50 mpg once. the 50mpg was doing 55mph though. i did that on purpose just to see if i could get it. but i got 48 all the time on the highway doing 65 or so. without luggage of course. on the way to the dragon i used to get around 46 with all the gear loaded on the bike. now after the sprocket change i think its around 42 or so

I average 48-49 miles every fill-up. When I get a little crazy it drops to 42. But I rarely do anything stupid on the bike.

To clarify, the mileage I reported was according to the automatic reading of the Busa dash instruments.

In normal riding, which includes some commuting to work in heavy traffic and lots of quick bursts through traffic but almost no high-speed running, the gauge reads around 39 mpg average. When I calculate it by gallons taken to fill the tank, it typically is about 38, so they are close on my bike (bone stock).

On my first dozen or so rides, when I was constantly "feeling out" the acceleration potential, I was getting about 32 calculated at the pump.

I have to say that I am impressed that this Hayabusa can get mileage into the mid 40 mpg range. My last two bikes (CB750 standard and a 600 Katana) both got about 45 without any attempt at trying to get good gas mileage.

Back