Helping Your Child with College$$$$$?

To what exent do/would you assist your child for college expenses?

• Yes, I always help my kid pay their bills.

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • If they want it they will find a way and a job to pay for the way. Didn’t raise a bum

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I help with what I can when I can; but it’s mostly on them.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Kids? What are those? Is that like a busa?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LeDauz

Registered
Do you think you’re financially obligated to assist your child with higher education costs? This comes from talking to my mom today who said my aunt helped her daughter with car insurance, payments, tuition, and books till she finished college at 29 after switching majors all those times and what not.

I have to ask as a college student who has worked all the way through has paid for my own gas books. Taken out loans and paid with my own money to get me through school so far. Only thing I was given was a place to stay since I picked the University to the same town I lived in.

Mine are still little but I will help where I can. If I could afford to pay for everything form them I would. I too paid for all my classes.

My kids are still in grade school 5th and 6th grade this year. I have allready started saving for their College $$$. I dont have a large amount saved..~4k a piece to date, but I kind of view it as something I will pay for. I just want to see them get some kind of secondary education wether it be College or Technical/Trade School. I will also encourage the Military as an option..I`m thinking Air Force or Navy.
I have lived on my own and paid my own way since my Senior year of High School. I did not get any secondary ed. untill about 12 years after Graduation but still do not have a degree, only a skilled trade learned over the course of the last 17 years.

my partent never helped me with college thats why i never went could never afford it. I will maybe assist a little if they do their part and get good grades in school...if not they are sol.
I too have been on my own since i turned 17. I dont ask for anything and i make it on my own steam. I have a good trade something i learned on the fly. It was hard but hell what in this world isnt.

Providing an education will ultimately help both you and your child. Give them a means to support themselves and they'll become independant and maybe take care of you one day. With that said, throwing money at a lifetime student who just wonders around looking for more classes to take is not an education but a lack of decision on school. Good luck.

We wanted the kids to have some skin in the game so we split the costs with them. We gave them cars and paid insurance, they paid gas and oil changes. We paid for tuition or books (whichever was more) and they paid for the other.

We never let them get underwater and there was a couple times where we loaned them money and agreed to a payment plan (no interest) and as long as they stuck to their end of bargain the "bank" was always open.

We had a deal with our kids...we'll pay for books/fees or tuition, but we get to see the grades and know what you're doing. After a couple semesters they chose to pay it all themselves - and neither has finished. They also lived at home.

I don't believe that parents should pay everything. But considering how expensive college is, I don't see how anyone can afford it. When you have student loans that won't be paid off until your 60? I believe in education, but how do they expect anyone to pay for it? And just because I didn't finish college doesn't mean I'm not smart and can't do the job.

Free room and board and half of your tuition ( you should have studied harder and got a scholarship) thats it, you pay your bills, and NO you aren't changing your major again and again !

My mom did the Florida pre-paid program where she paid super cheap amount over 10 years for a full four years in any florida university or college. I ended up getting my own scholarships through my good grades and diligence when I first went to college and now being in the military I have tuition assistance and the GI bill so she will be getting all that money back. I'm glad she did it but I found my own ways to pay for it. I think it's good for parents to help if they can but it is not their responsibility.

My parents wanted to help but couldn't and that was always a source of bitterness to them. They gave me free room and board and a car but that was it. I paid my gas insurance all tuition and books. I tried financial assistance but my parents made too much money and all I could get were a few loans. The free room and board was very helpfully but when a community college cost almost $1,500 a year and I was only making $6.50 an hour it was tough. I am still paying off student debt ten years later.

If the kid is focused and gets good grades I would help as much as I could. If they are looking for a party time I would tell them they need to learn the value of a good education.

Sent from my GSB v3.6 ODEXed using Tapatalk

When my daughter was in college, I paid for everything that was not paid by scholarships. She started searching for scholarships in the beginning of her Junion year in high school. With all her scholarships, I only had to pay about $500 per month. She lived away from home at UT (Texas). She is finished now with a good job and now off the payroll. I have to go through it two more times.

My daughter is 10 and I've been funding her 529 plan since she was 1. The best thing I can give (besides a steady home) is to give her an education so she can be her own person.

It is my intent for her to get a decent education and pay the tuition, but that will also entitle me to some ground rules. I'm not going to pay for 7-8 years of basketweaving. I'm don't really want her to work during the school year, but I expect her grades to reflect she is studying not partying. And I expect her to work every summer. If she balks, then there is always the military.

We just put her in private school this fall to prepare her both mentally, physically and spiritually for being her own person and college. Jeez it costs as much as college almost, but she's my only child and she's going to get the best chance I can give her.

I was fortunate; my parents paid for my college and I hope I've made it worth their efforts. My wife worked and paid her own way thru school, and I'm proud of the example she sets for our daughter.

My daughter is 10 and I've been funding her 529 plan since she was 1. The best thing I can give (besides a steady home) is to give her an education so she can be her own person.

It is my intent for her to get a decent education and pay the tuition, but that will also entitle me to some ground rules. I'm not going to pay for 7-8 years of basketweaving. I'm don't really want her to work during the school year, but I expect her grades to reflect she is studying not partying. And I expect her to work every summer. If she balks, then there is always the military.

We just put her in private school this fall to prepare her both mentally, physically and spiritually for being her own person and college. Jeez it costs as much as college almost, but she's my only child and she's going to get the best chance I can give her.

I was fortunate; my parents paid for my college and I hope I've made it worth their efforts. My wife worked and paid her own way thru school, and I'm proud of the example she sets for our daughter.

Although we never met in person..I feel comfortable saying it was worth your parents efforts.:thumbsup:

My dad paid for the big college loan. I paid for the two smaller loans once I was out and working.

If I ever have kids, I'll pay the big loan and they'll cover the smaller loans, that way they have to invest something more than just time as well...it worked for me.

We had 2 in college; one just finish BA and now starting internship. Other have one year left on his BA.

We pay room, board, books and labs while their in school. Also cover room and board while interning.

I think of it was investment in my retirement. They will let me retire in peace !!!

Back