Your cruising speed (not highway).

Your cruising speed (not highway). - How fast in moderate road traffic?

• 140+ mph

Votes: 99 100.0%
  • 130+ mph

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 120+ mph

• 110+ mph

• 100+ mph

• 90+ mph

• 80+ mph

• 70+ mph

• 60+ mph

• Less than 60+ mph

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

steelhead

Registered
I would like to know what a normal safe driving speed is from Hayabusa riders. Read below for context:

I am a little confused by the speeds my riding club does here. The posted speed limit is 50 mph.

On a road (not highway) with moderately heavy traffic, they will do 70+ mph, weaving between cars with just an armlength to spare.  If the road is empty, the speed jumps up to 90+ mph. This includes turns where you see a limit that says, "35mph" (actually, signs are in km/h, I'm just converting from km/h - mph).  At times, the speeds jump up to 120 mph.

Not to say that I never drive a little faster, but I'm seeing tight cornering speeds at 80+ mph on MOUNTAIN ROADS with some riders possesing less than 3 months of Hayabusa ownership experience.

Conservative weaving is at 50 mph (I'm talking about 20 cars in front of you within eyesight).

This is considered normal for them, and they claim it is safe if you can feel the rhythm while you weave from car-to-car at 70mph. What I mean is that there is no open road after a weave, it is just a continuous line.

So I want to know do you do this as a HABIT (and how many years of experience do you have)?

I will drive between 60-75mph when this is the flow of traffic (and the speed limit is 50mph) or if the roads are almost empty. Even at this point, I know I am speeding. I mean, I feel it is track day with these guys, but there's no track.

SteelHead

<!--EDIT|steelhead
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148213137 -->

55 stay alive in traffic. But I try to stay away from alot of traffic. I get real real nervous when I get boxed so I am known to run it up a bit to get away from everyone and then back to the speed limit in town or on 2 lane roads.

Whenever possible I do whatever is necessary to stay out of traffic, even if I have to take a longer way around to point B. Tailgaters, cell phone adicts, gal's putting on their make-up, road-rage, and people generally asleep at the switch... all just accidents waiting to happen. mad.gif

<!--EDIT|FJRider
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148217409 -->

I go 5 to 10 above the moving traffic speed to keep in the offensive  driving mode and not the defensive driving mode. I do all my high speed on the track and not in traffic where I can get killed or kill someone else sad.gif . Sounds to me like you need to ride with some other friends or just go alone. Believe me, you'll live alot longer wink.gif

I got a ticket a few weeks back so now I am paranoid about doing anything over the speed limit,,,,,,,,,,,, (when cops are around) tounge.gif

I cruise around 5 mph over what the traffic is doing and on the defense all the time. I will not remain next to a car, I try to get up in front so they can see me. I try to stay out of traffic, when safe I will move to the front of the traffic and ride in the clear.

My biggest problem with riding like this is that a majority of the people I would be potentially strafing are the same people I will see in traffic tomorrow and the next day and........ every one of them probably has a cell phone.

Its kind of like the old saying " Dont sh!t where you eat"!

I probably go 5-15 over the posted limit depending on road conditions and traffic congestion. I DO NOT weave in and out of traffic. It is a hazard. It also sets a bad example.

I will drive faster when the road conditions and my attitude warrant it.

Too much of the silly stuff will eventually get laws passed against us.

I go 5 to 10 above the moving traffic speed to keep in the offensive  driving mode and not the defensive driving mode. I do all my high speed on the track and not in traffic where I can get killed or kill someone else sad.gif . Sounds to me like you need to ride with some other friends or just go alone. Believe me, you'll live alot longer wink.gif
+1

<!--EDIT|Justyntym
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148224677 -->

I go fast enough that I am not being constantly passed, and never leave myself in a blind spot. I will speed only in a defensive mode.

+1
+2
+3, busa is not for a local small streets...

regardless of the fact that the subjectivity of the conditions in the primary question posed here is of infinte proportions?...

I do my best to avoid "moderate traffic" like the plague...but when I am forced to engage such conditions?...

my set speed is: Whatever speed is required to..."Stay in the Holes"....(usually just a tad faster than "the flow of traffic)....and then jump to the next holes once the one I'm in begins filling up..keeping the greatest possible distances between me and the cages around me at all times...a this gives me "optimum reaction time" and allows me to traverse such adverse conditions in a more relaxed state with elevated safety/error margins....until I get to the far more desolate places where the busa and I can play...in a "guarded insanity" sorta way. laugh.gif tounge.gif

L8R, Bill. cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148229595 -->

I usually keep the speed about 50mph but sometimes i got bored we got very heavy traffic here , and drive faster smile.gif

+1
+2
+3
+4

I usually go with the flow of traffic, regardless of which bike I am riding. I try to commute regularly on my bikes. I will definately move and let the excessive speeders go by, no problem. I try and stay visible in the cagers side mirrors, etc. In my humble opinion, if your group is riding as you described, you should find a new group or just ride alone, as mentioned previously. I would let them just ride on as they please. I have a couple of friends who ride the same style as I do and it is quite enjoyable. No tension. I'm just not into pi$$ing off everyone on the road. $.02

Anything more than 60mph on a Busa and you are in trouble.
You catch the " Fever" Busa fever......

after reading your explanation. I feel you should think only about YOU riding WITHIN YOUR LIMITS. pack riding seems to make people get on it a little bit more with the better riders influencing the lesser skilled ones right into the ditch.

yeah it's easy to get crazy on a Busa, but ride within YOUR limits and experience. they'll either wait for you or leave you behind, at which time you have the freedom to enjoy YOUR riding, not theirs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back