Self defense or murder?

Wow! He warned them I guess and they threatened his life so I would say he is justified. This is just another example of why not to be a drunken idiot.

Wow! He warned them I guess and they threatened his life so I would say he is justified. This is just another example of why not to be a drunken idiot.

Even if you the shooter is two doors down in the other guys drive way?

Stupid ass people being drunk.

I am going to put reason aside for a second. I think more stupid ass people like that should be shot. If stupid people get wind that if they act stupid just like that they will be shot maybe people will act more civil.

Now was he justified? Possibly, I do not think I would be out there flashing a gun at my neighbors... I would've just called the police to stop it. However, if this was a constant issue and nothing being done I may be doing the exact same. A past history needs to be known before I can say what I would've done. As I said above though, one less idiot in the world, millions to go.

Can't tell what happened, the shooter was in the other guy's driveway?

yep.

"It happened in May of 2010, outside Danaher’s home. He was hosting a party that Rodriguez, who lives nearby, said was too loud.So the retired firefighter, who has his CHL, grabbed his gun, flashlight and his video camera and went outside of Danaher’s home to document the noise.
For the first 10 minutes he stood outside the home, no one noticed him. Then, Rodriguez, Danaher and a group of partygoers got into a confrontation."

story link
Self defense or murder? Retired firefighter accused of killing teacher | kvue.com Austin

If you are throwing a noisy party in Texas you neighbor can take his gun over to your house, confront you in your driveway, tell you to "get back" and say "I promise you I will use my firearm to defend myself" shoot you to death, and according to RusselJ it's self defense and you had it coming.

Even if you the shooter is two doors down in the other guys drive way?

To me it appeared that he was on the other side of the road from the guys driveway. That would be perfectly legal to be there. If he was in the dead guy's driveway that would be trespassing and murder I think. I don't know if he was holding his gun in his hand or what. Since he was video taping and holding a flashlight for most of the video, I would assume that he had it holstered. Maybe it was open carry and that is why the guys said he was flashing his gun. I'm going to use logic over the words of a drunk. Situations like this suck, but I will assume the guy had every right to be there and do what he did. People can say their opinions all day long on this one, but this just goes to show that you shouldn't act like you are going to attack someone that is armed and warning you that they will use their gun on you. If they would've stayed put and waited for the cops they only would've gotten told to turn down their music instead of being shot.

My humble opinion, feel free to disagree.

You have a neighbor with an attitude and gun confronting what sounds like drunk white trailer trash in front of trailer trash's house. That was going to turn out badly regardless. Best bet is to call the cops and let them do their job, not go down and get all righteous with a gun. It doesn't sound like the guy that got killed was any great loss to society tho.

It was basically an all around--

Darth Vader Fail.jpg

In California this would be an open and closed case of Murder. He should have went back into his house and Locked the Door. Now if they entered his Property and started breaking the door down and somehow got in.......................Self Defense !

I personally would have Invited all my Neighbors to the party. At least they would have had a Warning !!!

Robert

This is murder in my opinion. The use of deadly force is used when you have no place to hide. Its not intended to allow people to go to other peoples houses and play vigilante. Just the opinion of a cwp holder. he should have called the police and left it at that period. he went looking for trouble and found it.

If you are throwing a noisy party in Texas you neighbor can take his gun over to your house, confront you in your driveway, tell you to "get back" and say "I promise you I will use my firearm to defend myself" shoot you to death, and according to RusselJ it's self defense and you had it coming.

Well, I can say with all honesty that I have wanted to kill inconsiderate neighbours who have loud parties.

Also:

Stupidpeople.jpg

If I was in the jury I would say murder!! Yes you have the right to use deadly force if you feel your life is in jeporady. He had plenty of time to leave the situation. He knew the guy was intoxicated and decided to stay and NOT leave the situation. It looks to me there was a party with loud music and he started it by telling them to turn it down. He confronted them and also pulled a gun on them by the sounds of the video, right there he was out of his league!! Never pull your gun to intimidate anyone, a gun is pulled for one reason and that is to use in self defense as the last action!!
This is 2nd degree murder if I was in the jury!!

and according to RusselJ it's self defense and you had it coming.

For God's sake Ken, when did I ever say it was self defense in this statement: :duh:

"Now was he justified? Possibly, I do not think I would be out there flashing a gun at my neighbors... I would've just called the police to stop it. However, if this was a constant issue and nothing being done I may be doing the exact same. A past history needs to be known before I can say what I would've done. As I said above though, one less idiot in the world, millions to go."

It depends on the history what I would do. I never said it was self defense nor condoned the seemingly aggressive behavior. I also did not say the guy had it coming BUT I DID SAY that it was not a serious loss of life. How you derived your opinion of what I said baffles me, Ken. :duh: I am saddened by your assumption because as far as self defense I never said whether it was or not. Knowing he was in the other guys driveway, it was not. :duh:

They're all a bunch of dumbasses!
They backed off after he warned them but he stuck around.
If you tell some drunken bubba you're gonna slap him what's he gonna say?
No you won't.
If you tell him your gonna shoot him what's he gonna say?
No you won't.
Perfect way to set yourself up for what exactly happened.

He had every opportunity to retreat and or get away and should have.
Not self defense.

Blanca Busa said:
He had every opportunity to retreat and or get away and should have.
Not self defense.

but part of the law is no retreat, you have the right to stand your ground, in texas you have the right to defend your property as well.

Itll be interesting to see what happens as cases like this are going to establish precedence on exactly what these laws mean. Hopefully it didn't turn into a circus.

I feel the shooter in this case will walk, although this like the zimmerman case could have been easily avoided. I don't want to kill anyone and will avoid it all costs. Seems like alot of ccw people are hiding behind their permits lately.

but part of the law is no retreat, you have the right to stand your ground, in texas you have the right to defend your property as well.

Itll be interesting to see what happens as cases like this are going to establish precedence on exactly what these laws mean. Hopefully it didn't turn into a circus.

I feel the shooter in this case will walk, although this like the zimmerman case could have been easily avoided. I don't want to kill anyone and will avoid it all costs. Seems like alot of ccw people are hiding behind their permits lately.

Well then as a gun owner and one who's carried for over twenty years I would support another look at the law. I don't think a law should protect and enable one to stand in the street after coming there himself and brandish a gun threatening folks. He should have turned around and gone back inside his house and waited for the police. He should have realized he was dealing with drunks and there is no reasoning with them. I hope he goes to jail as an example and that this quells anyone else feeling so emboldened to walk down and kill someone.

I have loud parties. Sometimes the neighbors complain and sometimes the cops show up but the difference is we all remain calm. He started shouting and then they started shouting and within first minute it was already an arguement. It was bound to end badly.

And on a side note. I think the media is feeding this strand your ground frenzy.
By repeating he said the right things and playing that out others are now going to use this in their own vigilante style shootings and simply claim they stood their ground. CNN keeps playing the video and having legal experts say 'well he did say what he needed to say!'. This is only instructing dummies on how to get away with murder.

the man did in no way act threatening...attempted to reason ...begged for help...said he was scared...but did not back down from where he was LEGALLY allowed to be and documenting the law breakers...all while standing up to his RIGHT to be where he was allowed to be and defend his action of video tapeing the scenero in the hopes of ENDING the lack of respect these folks had and LACK of positive police enforcement of legitimate requests and thier obvious unwillingness to be respectfull. he only stated he would defend himself...not aggressively attack them... then ..... they rushed him OBVIOUSLY... they became the aggressor and with promise of "getting something equal" its a fair assumption they wanted to do him serious harm.... BACKING DOWN and crying wolf to the police enabling the government to be our ONLY defense is exactly why this country has become a nation of DIS - RESPECTERS. nobody and i mean nobody has a right to touch me because they feel they are big and bad. just like him.... give multiple warnings to defend yourself..after that...all they want is the rush of aggression... you do not have to be a VICTIM/MARTYR at that point for others MISGUIDED beliefs of pacification!!

Back