pirelli tires

pbghost

Registered
I currently have a Dunlop 208 on the rear of my '00. From day one the 208 was a p.o.s. I had a 207 before and it was ok. So far the best was a Mich. Pilot Sport, , followed by Metzler's equivelent to the Pilot Sport. Best wear came from the stock BT56 Bridgestone. Anyhow, I was looking at Pirelli's Diablo tire, but haven't heard much about it. I am a conservative rider, but occasionally like to enjoy the Busa's attributes on twisty roads, this is where I have problems with the 208. Any help / input is appreciated.

I tried the Diablos once in a 200/50/17 and didn't really like it . The lean angle isn't as great as a 190/50/17 and on a few occasions I almost broke traction . They were okay for everyday use tough.
I just put a set of Pilot Powers on and I love them . I was running the Pilot race before and even though its a great tire it just didn't wear as long as I wanted . Twisties are few and far between in Florida and length of wear is a more important factor.

I love them. But they wear FAST and stick great. Tinn, why would you expect lean from any 200? I don't know about the bt56 wear being good - if you were like me, when those came on the bike first, you didnt REALLY tear into the throttle for a good number of miles, thus making the 56's SEEM like long wearing. Now, I usually shred ANY tired before 3000. I hated the old dunlops too! sloppy crap.

If you are conservative, most any TOURING tire will work, but you sacrifice stiffness IE handling for touring tires. I'll never put another touring tire on my bike again. ugh! no thanks. But they last forever.

you will always trade wear for stick. Find your happy place

I have been running the Super Sports. Got just over 2600 miles on the rear before it needed to be replaced - let me say that I live in FLAT country and I spike it on take offs more than I should so I wear the rears out pretty quick. Oh and they behaved really well up at the Dragon when I spun them up there too!

That particular tire, standard Diablo, comes in a Hayabusa model so be sure to get that one if you opt for that model tire, the regular one will dance around like John Kerry at an appropriations hearing.

Raybusa, another member here, has ran Pirellis since I met him a couple of years ago and he rides like he's running from the cops everywhere he goes so they have to be good tires! He is why I switched to them!

There are a few fun backroads here in north Tx that I ride, and when I get the time, I like going to the winding stair trail in Ok, Ar. Most my mileage is commuter though. I didn't see the Hayabusa model, just the standard and extended mileage version. I started a new job last year that has enough time off to allow me to ride, so I want a decent wearing tire with decent performance. I don't trust ads. Thanks everyone for thier input.

Any Pirelli's I have seen are priced significantly more than anything I would consider comparable like Metzler M-3s, MX PP, Dunlop Qualifiers, etc.

The BT 56 rear was crap and I only got 4000 miles even (my first 4000) before the cords started to peek through. My M-3 rear has 3500 miles and has much more rubber than the BT56 did at that point AND it's a much better handling tire. It will be hard for me not to go w/ the M-3s again next time around. Possibly Avons if the handling grip is there w/ it's great mileage wear, which most people here say it has.

(YH2K @ Jul. 06 2007,13:00) I have been running the Super Sports. Got just over 2600 miles on the rear before it needed to be replaced - let me say that I live in FLAT country and I spike it on take offs more than I should so I wear the rears out pretty quick. Oh and they behaved really well up at the Dragon when I spun them up there too!

That particular tire, standard Diablo, comes in a Hayabusa model so be sure to get that one if you opt for that model tire, the regular one will dance around like John Kerry at an appropriations hearing.

Raybusa, another member here, has ran Pirellis since I met him a couple of years ago and he rides like he's running from the cops everywhere he goes so they have to be good tires! He is why I switched to them!
ices_rofl.gif
But I do like my Diablo Corsa IIIs.

But I do like my Diablo Corsa IIIs. [/Quote]
Got them on my 999....NICE tire but I don't expect too mch mileage.

The ones I were looking at were the corsa 3 and the strada extended mileage. @ mawonline the prices didn't seem too bad, I just don't want another dissapointment and a waste of money like the 208's

(pbghost @ Jul. 06 2007,16:03) The ones I were looking at were the corsa 3 and the strada extended mileage.  @ mawonline the prices didn't seem too bad, I just don't want another dissapointment and a waste of money like the 208's
Those are two VERY different tires. Be sure to choose the right tire for your primary riding style.

i had a set of 208's... didn't like them either.

have run normal diablo's for a while. Track days, normal riding and long distance.. was well pleased with them.

friend is running diablo corsa on a sv1000

2 track days and probably 2000 miles... they look amazing... and he punishes them at track days.

(pbghost @ Jul. 06 2007,16:03) The ones I were looking at were the corsa 3 and the strada extended mileage. @ mawonline the prices didn't seem too bad, I just don't want another dissapointment and a waste of money like the 208's
208's do blow. I think I had that exact number on once. In my neck of woods, Pirelli costs the same as anything else... maybe MSRP is higher but who ever pays that?

I had the STRADAs and used them on road, long distance, and track. First there is more tread on them so they simply last longer. They are a tad heavier, but you barely notice that. What I noticed was weak sidewalls [for smoother road touring] and something I want to call "tread twist" where the tread is deep enough you FEEL the tread twisting - even though it still sticks. I felt the stickieness was on par with reagular deablos and that really impressed me. What I hated was the lack of sport feel..... GUMMY BEAR wheels is the fel that comes to mind - pretty squirmy - at any tire pressure. They stuck good at the track and I adjusted my riding for their squirm but it was not my personally preferred feel. An example is, after riding to Denver from Des Moines one 13 hour day, when I pulled into the city, and started riding slow 35 mph, I thought I had a flat rear tire. I pulled over ASAP and checked the pressure: 45 which was about right since I had them right at 42 and some heat up happens. but the FEEL was SOOO GOOEY! I forget if I took them to Arizona or not, probably, and they held just fine through post Katrina winds in TX, heavy rains in New Mexico and anything else thrown at them. And they lasted for ever - to me. I couldn't wait to tear them off and get good "Sport" tires on there, but they kept lasting..... one track day.... then some on purpose burnouts..... another track day.... and another.... COME ON!

For touring I give them a 10
for sporty rides just a 5 or 6, but that is not what they were designed to do.

I guess Ima Pirelli fan, trying M3's now, they are okay, but I can't wait to get the Corsa IIIs on!

Good luck with your choice... Like I always keep saying"

ANY modern popular bike tire is pretty good these days.

Funny thing about the 208's, the ONLY people who I hear say they like them are REALY FAST track guys and racers. The tire is made for extreme (and short) usage.

I have just replaced my BT's, rear lasted 2400 miles, with a set of Diablo Corsa III, using a190x55 rear, just put 1200 miles riding to Assen. Great tyre even in the rain, they give me so much more confidence even at 100+. These tyres are joint first place with Dunlop GP racer in a track test done buy UK Superbike mag. OK wear rate may be poor but its only money
beerchug.gif

Read this test guys
cool.gif

http://www.zinio.com/express2?issue=206338267

i've been running Diablo's and Diablo Corsa's for a little while now and they are my favorite to date (over Bridgestone and Dunlop)...just bought a Strata rear to mount on my other rim to see how it works for touring but haven't actually gotten it on the bike yet...if it works as well for what it was designed for as the others, i'm planning on keeping a set of rims with them mounted and a set with Corsa III's, that should pretty much keep me covered
beerchug.gif

another thread with some info
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Once again, thanx for all the input. After reading the write ups on the links, I think I'll order the corsa monday. Inputs pretty much match my riding style, and I want to try to go on a distance ride close to labor day, so I need something that will hold up.

A friend at work as telling me about a new tire that was hard in the middle for commute type driving but had super sticky sides. Any idea which one he was referring to? Sounds like the best of both worlds.

Back