Which Tire?

mctrull

Registered
I am trying to choose a new rear tire for my 'busa. I have had the Battlax and the Dunlop Sportmax 208. I am considering; Michelin Pilot Sport HPX, the Metzler Sportec M1, and the Pirelli Diablo. I like the 190/50/17. It is 30-55 degrees here most days right now, I ride short fast bursts, and have started self-training myself on twisties. My tires have been breaking loose on take off, shifting to second, stopping, and a little when powering out of turns. the Dunlops were much better but, I am wondering if anyone has used the tires I am considering and has an opinion on which they think I should go to next?

they all break loose when ya get on it hard or whack 2nd !im learning to just stick with the battlaxes i figure to try to get used to just this feel .good luck in your search .been there on a kawi 1100 never did find the perfect one.

Best tire around for me is Perilli Diablos. Best for the money is BT 10's & 12's. 12's corner a little better. Perrili is by far one of the best in my opinion, but you do pay for it. How long they last, good question. I do not know yet, but so far so good on mileage.

I want to adjust the bike to fit me as much as I want to adjust to the bike. It is a give and take relationship, I try to give it all it can take, and it smacks me around. I love a mean woman!

Buffo, Isn't the corsa model the track compound version of the diablos? Track compounds tend to cool off too quick for me. If I am not keeping them hot doing twisties, they get cold fast and begin to break loose on me. I am having a little better luck with the street/track compunds, they seem to retain the heat a little longer.

Ninja Eater is right! The Diablos are a great tire for twisties and mileage. Ran a couple of track days on a set and they were barely touched.

Look here, I put a Continental on the back just before I went to Gateway International in St. Louis for an event, and it stuck like glue to the strip. Got the tire from Speedlimit in Chicago. Names are overrated.

Also not to mention I made it to the third round of eliminations, but I broke out, I was not to upset because it was the fastest time I had ever gotten,10.23

That is great, Stallion! But, I am not a drag racer, I am looking for a tire that suits my riding style.

Thanks for the link Judge. I had chosen to get the Diablo earlier today and called for availability. The results on that page make me feel even more confident in my choice.

I am not going to compromise performance and safety to save a few bucks. I hear people all the time trying to find the best tire for the money, I just want the best tire for me. The price sucks but, I love the enjoyment this bike gives me. I take care of my baby and she tries to kill me! Marriage is Great!
face7.gif

I have tried the 208 as well,after chewing up the BT-56 in 1600 miles.I did manage over twice the mileage out of the 208Felt kinda greasy and had a weird tip-in.Love my new 200 HPX,but haven't run it enough to make a mileage call.Don't let the "200" scare you either.Not really much bigger than the original BT-56.Seems very round,rolls in smooth,sticks great.As long as I get the life out of the HPX as promised,I will keep this tire on the bike.As an added bonus,it took almost no weight to balance,unlike the previous two tires.

Buffo, Isn't the corsa model the track compound version of the diablos? Track compounds tend to cool off too quick for me. If I am not keeping them hot doing twisties, they get cold fast and begin to break loose on me. I am having a little better luck with the street/track compunds, they seem to retain the heat a little longer.

It's true that the Diablo Corsa is a softer compound than the Diablo...but it's never been put to me that the Corsa is actually the track version.

Though I have mainly used them on the track, I know plenty of guys that use them exclusively on the road and I don't think they have ever had any trouble with them cooling down and losing grip. In fact the guy who I buy my tyres from uses Diablo Corsas on both his Busa and his 1000, rides every Sunday on the road and swears by them.

What impresses me about them is how quick they warm up and just how well they produce grip very early in a track session. I suppose it's conceivable that if they heat up quick then they could cool down quick as well, but I think on the road if you went through a portion of your ride with few twisties, they would retain their heat reasonably well but regain any lost heat after only a few turns.

I took it out today with the Diablo on it. I had my girl on the back so it was not a good day to test on. I was still amazed at how well it stuck, usually I can feel the back-end wiggle if she turns her head but, I almost did not feel anything. It was so stable and sure of itself. I was blown away! I can't wait to take it out by myself! I am convinced of the tire's worth, It is a great tire already. I know the trials I put it through when I take it out on my own will yield the same results. I will post the results, ASAP.

I am a tire novice, but would assume considerable testing was done to fit the best tire for this bike at the best expense. I will always stick with factory
rock.gif

That depends on what you want out of the tyre mate. Some tyres are made for premium wear, some are made for premium grip, others are made to a price.

And don't forget that all bikes are made to come out of the factory at a price that they will be bought by the market...that's why stock Hayabusas don't roll off the production line with carbon fibre exhausts, braided brake lines, nickel plated wheels, Ohlins shockers and steering dampers, power commanders, etc, etc, etc.

If you want a long wearing tyre at a reasonable price, stick with the factory one...if you want supreme grip, don't.
wink.gif

I took it out today with the Diablo on it. I had my girl on the back so it was not a good day to test on. I was still amazed at how well it stuck, usually I can feel the back-end wiggle if she turns her head but, I almost did not feel anything. It was so stable and sure of itself. I was blown away! I can't wait to take it out by myself! I am convinced of the tire's worth, It is a great tire already. I know the trials I put it through when I take it out on my own will yield the same results. I will post the results, ASAP.
That is what i felt when i put my set on. You will find that the bike is going lower easier. have fun...

I am a tire novice, but would assume considerable testing was done to fit the best tire for this bike at the best expense. I will always stick with factory
rock.gif
If that were true we wouldn't have any room for improvement on these bikes. They do put some things on them that is better than other bikes but, there are some things that are there only to pass government inspections. There is always room for improvement, even on a Lamborghini Diablo VT. I always research my options on everything I purchase and I make a decision on what is best for me. The greatest thing about this board is the vast expanse of knowledge and hands-on expierence with the Hayabusa, do not let that go to waste.

As much as I love the turning feel of my street Diablos, I give them an 8.5 out of 10 because of high speed feel. I've only run stock, 208s and Diablos so far, and only the Diablos felt skittish over 130ish - but I bought 180 instead of 190 for the rear in Diablo, but the front was bouncier too... rounder profile? which is why they corner so great. Anyway, I look forward to many newbie track days next spring on the Diablos! But next I am going for the Pilot HPX which was rated for 200mph and designed for the Busa. I kinda miss the smooth gliding comfort of my 190's over the 130 mark

Back