Tires for High Speed Stability?

mctrull

Registered
It is time for yet another rear tire, lol. I have had the stock twice, Dunlop 207, and Pirelli Diablo. The stock ones were not sticky enough for me, The 207 was not as stable at high speed(had a jumpy feeling at speeds over 160mph) and seemed to take longer to warm up. The Diablo has been good to me-good grip and able to pull out of two near lowsides. I am looking at the M1s, Pilot Powers, Diablo, and the Diablo Corsa. I want a tire that is spec for the busa, sticky for quick warm up, and cold weather rides, and feels planted at high speeds. Any help and/or opinions will be appreciated.

I am on my second set of Pilot Powers right now and I love them for many reasons. They have an incredibly quick warm up time, very nice stability at high speed, and handling that performs 2nd to none. I would highly recommend the Powers to you. Also they have great longevity for such a high performance tire.

I am on my second set of Pilot Powers right now and I love them for many reasons. They have an incredibly quick warm up time, very nice stability at high speed, and handling that performs 2nd to none. I would highly recommend the Powers to you. Also they have great longevity for such a high performance tire.
+1

I too like the Michelins, I love the way they handle. I don't think i've had them much over 170 though, they seem to do great at least up to that point.

Kevin

Pilot Powers seem to be the tyre of preference... check out the numerous polls on tyre choice..

I have been doing searches on tires and reading numerous posts but, I didn't find much on how most tires feel at high speeds. Most people don't ride that fast, I don't ride that fast as often as normal driving speeds but, that is the area I need my tires the most. It did not feel good to have my tire getting a hopping feeling at 180+.

damn, bud...haven't seen ya inna while! Welcome back...
beerchug.gif

Eh, tires...I wish I could help. Don't have much of an educated gues here...but I've heard nothin but good stuff 'bout the pirelli's. I'm gonna try a set of Avon Azaros...I've heard good things about them too.

You can also PM or ping RaiderDm....he's had some good experience with tires. Same as Ninja Eater. I think both of 'em have their Busa's up at triple digit speeds on regular occasions.
smile.gif

For myself, I'd trust their judgement. Hope this helps...
biggrin.gif

damn, bud...haven't seen ya inna while! Welcome back...
beerchug.gif

Eh, tires...I wish I could help. Don't have much of an educated gues here...but I've heard nothin but good stuff 'bout the pirelli's. I'm gonna try a set of Avon Azaros...I've heard good things about them too.

You can also PM or ping RaiderDm....he's had some good experience with tires. Same as Ninja Eater. I think both of 'em have their Busa's up at triple digit speeds on regular occasions.
smile.gif

For myself, I'd trust their judgement. Hope this helps...
biggrin.gif
The avons are a good tire but dont expect very much wear out of them!!!!!!! My rear was gone in under 2500 miles!!!
rock.gif
rock.gif

rock.gif

Continenal Force MAX Cheaper than Power Pilots or others and built as good or better. I've had'm up to 170 indicated for about 5 miles without a shimmy or bit of trouble.

Thanks, Pac!

I have been reading up on the Pilot Powers and really like what I see so far. It seems that the M1 and the Diablo are very similar in make up. The Corsa has a softer compound but, I am worried that it may lose some of its integrity at higher speeds. The search continues....

Thanks, Pac!

I have been reading up on the Pilot Powers and really like what I see so far. It seems that the M1 and the Diablo are very similar in make up. The Corsa has a softer compound but, I am worried that it may lose some of its integrity at higher speeds. The search continues....
cool.gif

hmmm....the stress high speed rotations place on the carcass. I think you should be good to go as long as you get the properly rated tires. Unless, of course, you have a well-kept secret of a mod that boosts your speed higher than average. Hmm?
poke.gif
tounge.gif

GXRHP, what Avon set were you using? I read that the Avon ST 45/46 Combo did exceptionally well in combining grip and longetivity.

<!--EDIT|PACIFICBUSA
Reason for Edit: None given...|1131347655 -->

The Diablo that is keeping my rim clean right now is shot from launches and speed runs, the center is just kind of gone, lol.
blush.gif
I didn't realize it until I was just riding the other night, it felt like it was flat, and when I got home I noticed that the center was wasted. I don't concern myself with how much mileage I get out of a set, just how well it performs for its short life.

I've only had my Metz M-1 topped out once felt very stable, when you first get them they are very sticky, but couple of people have said when they start to wear goes away quickly, While I wouldn't say quickly, it does start to deminish, mine with only 2500 miles feel like the new bt-56 do , in otherwords a little slippery but still better than the bt-56

Metzeler M-1 Sportec (P) spec is the way to go. Replicates the factory tire sizes exactly and includes an extra layer of carcass in it for stability. It is built to run on the Busa and matches the 198 width of the factory rear. Your not gonna get a ton of mileage out of them but they are very stable at high speeds and great in the twisties.
smile.gif

I understand what you mean about jumpiness up in high speeds. My experience is make sure whatever you get it's a 190 or wider. Maybe it's a flatter contact patch and more [read heavier] rubber rotating smoothly over a thinner tire, but I hate high speeds on a 180

Metzeler M-1 Sportec (P) spec is the way to go. Replicates the factory tire sizes exactly and includes an extra layer of carcass in it for stability. It is built to run on the Busa and matches the 198 width of the factory rear. Your not gonna get a ton of mileage out of them but they are very stable at high speeds and great in the twisties.
smile.gif
+1

I use these for drag racing and on the street. I like them a lot. I also just had these up to 174 last week and it was extremely stable and smooth. If you want a deal you can go to www.discountmotorcycletire.com They were the cheapest when I was looking last year.

I have been doing searches on tires and reading numerous posts but, I didn't find much on how most tires feel at high speeds. Most people don't ride that fast, I don't ride that fast as often as normal driving speeds but, that is the area I need my tires the most. It did not feel good to have my tire getting a hopping feeling at 180+.
Well I ride just like you. I am semi agressive in the twisties but when it comes to a section where I can launch the bike and stretch its legs I hold nothing back. I have hit the restrictor a few times myself. This tire will suit you just fine. Take it from someone who has pushed the 180's, this tire will make the bike feel like it is floating on air. I am so impressed with it's smoothness. I recommended them to a buddy of mine that has a 600 f4i that really likes to be aggressive in the turns. I told him just try a set one time and if ur bike doesn't handle incredibly well you can so take it out on me. Well he bought a set and has been going nuts over them for the past 3 or 4 weeks. It would be totally abnormal if you didn't fall in love with this tire.

Back