People who have gone down on their bikes

in 2005 on a 2001 cbr 600 doing about 115 managed to get it to about 95 before i hit the car with the right side of the bike on the front of the car. totaled the bike shattered my ankle and road rash that burned through my joe rocket jacket and broke my toes on my other foot. cops said i flew 105 feet before landing and my bike went 240 before landing. i got off pretty lucky. couldve avoided by not going that fast on a city street but i was in a hurry was running late for work.

1978, riding my brand new KZ1000 LTD in downtown San Diego with my girlfriend on the back. My buddy and I decided to take a little putt downtown. We were side-by-side approaching a signal light about 100 feet up when it turned yellow, I gunned it, he braked, so I grabbed the front brake firmly to stop with him and discovered my lane was covered in tranny fluid, a very nice even distribution of oil about a half block long just so you’d never notice it if you weren’t looking. Almost to a stop and ‘Bang.’ Front wheel tucked and we’re down on the left side. No injury’s, broken mirror, turn-signal, and a wee little dent in the tank. My buddy stayed up (his lane was clean). Helmet, leather jacket, denims, and boots, nothing damaged (except my pride). Inexperience as a rider and overconfidence in my braking ability prime contributors, lesson learned.
1989 Suzuki Katana 600, road racing at Willow Springs in Cali, pole position, first lap, turn five (a 50-60 mph) right hander a guy tried to stuff me from behind and ran out of track – right under me, I never knew what hit me before I was sliding upside down feet in the air backwards on my shoulders and the back of my helmet where I then proceeded rag-dolling across the rocky infield. This by the way is a very painful way to stop even with full gear, (no CE armor in those days – just leathers, boots, gloves and helmet).  Injuries included a chipped elbow with laceration, spiral fracture of my left fibula near the ankle, and raw knuckles from the track burning through my gloves while I was trying to hang onto the bike when it low sided. The 4 month recovery period pretty much ended my racing ambitions. Lesson learned, leave racing to the youngsters – injuries take longer to heal the older one gets, and henceforth all my gear shall include CE armor as all my body’s hard edges hurt when they get ‘rounded-off,’ and, they take their sweet time before they stop hurting.
-Jim

1987 - Honda Nighthawk - Tip Over - Forgot Wheel Lock on Front Tire
1990 - GXSR1100 - Too Hot - Came into a turn too hot, panic attack, overcorrected into ditch
1995 - GSXR1100 - Intersection - Mustang ran red light took out 2 of us. RIP 8-Ball.
1995-2003 No riding, just dragging cars.
2004 - VTR1000F Superhawk - No Incidents
2006 - Honda Blackbird - No Incidents
2007 - Hayabusa - No Incidents - Saved a turn I overshot into a ditch getting use to the weight/wheelbase of the beast.

Alright I guarantee I have the dumbest crash of all time.

I was working in a detail shop and decided to wash my 90 EX500. Got her all cleaned up and what did I do next? You guessed it, I put tire shine on the tires. As I was pulling it out of the shop turning right I low sided and slid out. Broke the rear brake lever and front brake handle, and of course scratched her up pretty good. Never again have I used tire shine on a bike.
guns.gif

(jessup @ Sep. 18 2007,12:flamethrowing:) I can attribute most if not all of my crashes to over confidence and pushing myself beyond what is reasonable.   I have since toned it down a skidge.
Yeah, he only takes turns at 160 now instead of 180...

I only had the Busa about 3 mos, rode with a friend on an unfamiliar road littered with tar snakes, and took a turn too wide (thinking I was still on my Katana). Bike went into the grass around 30-25mph, BUSAFETT unfortunately stayed on the pavement.. results? Scuffs on new jacket, bruised side torso, 1 HJC helmet in the dumpster.

The bike got grass in the windscreen and some light scuffs on the fairing.

1973-1985: About 10 not too serious crashes in mopeds: front brake locking, rear wheel slide, gravel in a turn, rear ended by car. Usual wound: bruises in right hand.

1992 Suzuki GS500. Lady in front car stopped suddenly, me going too close, locked front brake, lost front end. Bruises in right hand.

1995 Suzuki GSX600F Katana, gravel on off camber, downhill turn. Suddenly found myself sliding on my belly, and the Kat spinning on its side down the hill following the centerline. Dainese suit, Alpine Stars boots and Shoei helmet saved my head and skin, except... you guess it... bruises in right hand.

Tip overs: 2 due to not fully extended sidestand; 2 by loosing balance while deploying the centerstand as a newbie with both GS500 and GSX600; 1 by frigging Beemer injection surging while taking off with handlebars turned, 2 due to ice on the driveway.

1 "crash" group ride, went into turn too hot, found gravel, and front washed out. Now whenever I hit gravel I have to pull over, and remove my seat from, Well you know !!

If you're fairly new to riding, I would advise against "group rides". You'll be suprised how fast your ego will take over control of your bike !!

one of the first bikes I rode was one of my friend's bikes, I can't even remember what kind it was,all i know is that it was a 750. The throttle was sticky I was in second gear on the gas and it stuck open freaked out and grabbed the brakes and I had too much front so the front end washed out and I slid about 50 or so feet in a sweatshirt,cotton workpants and no helmet. lucky Idid not hit my head but I had alot of rash. Now I love to wear gear I don't care how hot it is or how long it takes to put it on,it takes longer to heal.

8/14/07. Rode about 60 miles during the heat of the day in full gear. I didn't drink enough water that day. I overheated and when I got to a curve, I went straight, into a concrete power pole at 50 mph.

I don't remember even being on that road or even why I was.

I think my helmet saved my life. I ended up with 2 broken ribs, a fractured wrist, and tore a muscle that controls the size of my left pupil. I spent 3 days in the hospital and 3 weeks on the couch.

(kennym4 @ Sep. 18 2007,20:19) 1 "crash" group ride, went into turn too hot, found gravel, and front washed out. Now whenever I hit gravel I have to pull over, and remove my seat from, Well you know !!

If you're fairly new to riding, I would advise against "group rides". You'll be suprised how fast your ego will take over control of your bike !!
+1 on group rides. Seen two people crash in the same corner right after one another.piles of bikes suck.

Two weeks ago, just as I leaned into a tight right hander, a large deer sprang up from the ditch on the inside of the corner. I stood the bike up and was able to miss the deer, but then my line was way off for the turn. I got on both brakes and leaned in again to try and make the turn, but I think the rear wheel got on the center strip and washed out causing me to low side it off the road. I don't think I would have been injured at all since I was geared up, but when I went off the road I took out a 4" steel stop sign with my helmet and shoulder. Result was broken coller bone and four cracked ribs.

Too much wheelie! * notice the tail light is crushed? I was still in the saddle when I heard the tail hit. Can u say 1-Oclock?
cool.gif

wreck_day_017.jpg

1985 NINJA GPZ 750 TURBO , Just got bike out of the cycle shop (Shawnee Cycle Plaza) Had them due scheduled maintenance, Tune up , Tires, Brakes, Rotors. Cruising out to the highway about 65 mph, front brake locks up throws me over the handlebar's and slid 315 ft, Shattered left elbow and mild concussion. After the accident my insurance company does a little investigating and mechanic tells them that they turned the rotors and said they warped them, CAUSE OF ACCIDENT, BIKE PAID FOR IN FULL!
beerchug.gif

I have been rear ended 2x by people that were on their cell phones and they have no insurance. I was taking my endorsement MSF test on their bike in the rain and coming to a quick stop the front tire turned and I fell. In actually driving my hayabusa and just plain driving 0 problems.

2001-GSX-R600 on the way up school (SDSU). A sprinkler head broke and running water across a turn I normally take going down into 55th street. Tires broke loose and I lowsided. No injuries. Rashed fairings, busted up rearset and chipped front upper fairing.

2005: '05 Busa. Riding down AV road w/my wife at 8:45 PM. Lady pulls out in front of us and we T-Bone her. My wife and I crash on the highside and ended up having to be shipped to a local hospital via paramedics. Case going to trial next month. I separated a Pubic Symphsis bone and my wife had fractures on her hip and elbow. She still has shooting pain on her arm every now and then

2006: '06 Gixx1K. Riding out of school around 10PM. 30 degrees F out. cold tires, black ice. Lost the rear tire and ended up being thrown over the highside. Sore ribs, broken frame sliders, scratched stock exhaust, dinged upper nose fairing.

2007: '06 Gixx1K. Low sided at around 80 MPH on T9 California Speedway during trackday. Hit a bump and the front end got really light. Must've tucked the front and lost the bike. Rashed right fairing and scratched brand new Yoshi TRC exhaust, broken tail section. No injuries. Slid for quite some time till my leathers caught a bad angle then tumbled and tumbled for quite some time.

Here's the pic:

couple of corners before the crash
CP__5998.jpg

Curious about age and experience at time of crash...

Dirtbike wrecks far too many to even start to list

Street bike crashes 0 in 35 years and a close call just about every day

Back