the first time down...

Goatkart

Registered
Everyones heard the statement...

The only rider who hasn't gone down yet, is one who is waiting to go...

i remember fully well the first time i went down on a bike, i was trying to make a u-turn and my throttle control was still poor as it was my first bike ever...Didnt help that it was winter, and iowa is a gravel state...

None the less, Hit some gravel went down, managed to push the bike away a little bit as i was going down.... bike slid and i rolled...

I immediatly was back up,checked my head and body parts(had helmet, leather jacket, jeans) and i remember thinking to myself... so THATS what thats like... Not so bad!

Got immediatly back on the bike and road it home... had to do some minor repairs.... however i learned a lesson about gravel and how to handle it that i have never forgotten...

It also got those "fear of going down" jitters out of me...

I honestly felt very very relieved and much more relaxed riding after it happened...

Ironicly, all of my riding buddies, said they were glad i was ok, cheered, clapped, and more or less, i finally felt like i was a REAL rider...

maybe it was just me..

Anyone else have a story to share about their first time down?

I think I posted up about this before..but I came to a T section and was going to make a right hand turn. There was a shoulder for those who wanted to go right on a yield sign. Rolled up to it and was looking left at the oncoming traffic. Did not pay close enough attention to the road. It was slanted pretty good from the left sloping to the right. The traffic was too heavy to get in so I pulled up to a stop from a slow roll. Put my right foot down and the road was about 4-6 inches lower than the left side of the bike. Bike started to tilt quickly and I tried to hold her up...but down she went. I rolled off the bike and down the hill about 10 feet into the blackberry bushes. I remember laying there and saying to myself.."smooth move, exlax"! Dummest thing you ever saw...Bike got pretty scratched up as she slid about 2 feet in gravel going downhill a little...2hip

Similar, pulled into Sheetz 3rd time out early spring tucked the front wheel in the gravel. and grabbed a handful of throttle on the way down to make sure everyone saw me. I to learned a lot in 30 seconds of shame.:whistle:

i was goin about 20 and had to dodge a cager runnin a stop sign. i missed him, but layed it down on the right side. i flipped over the handlebars and slid on my back. i think my feelings were hurt more than the bike (just broken plastic on the right and my windscreen) my left leg was banged up for about 3 weeks and my back hurt like hell. glad i was wearing all my gear.

some good stories already... hopefully people will be willing to toss a few more up...

i think the stories prove usefull to new and experience riders... it gets people thinking what would i have done, do i check myself for situations like that...

and most important... lets us get a little chuckle out of the hurt pride...

i know i am glad i was wearing my full faced lid... kept my head safe.. but more important disguised who went down HAHAHA..

Older srad with bad plugs died on take off and went down. No one around picked er up and rode off.
Posted via Mobile Device

Time busa went down is lots better.

Unloading out of the back of my ram. On right side of bike walking er down with kickstand down so I could set it down in the bed if I needed to. Kickstand caught on plastic piece. ( The piece on tailgate that keeps you from hurting your hands when you push your dodge.) And it had been raining all night so truck is wet ramps in back of truck are wet and my shoes are wet. So after pushing the bike forward to dislodge the kickstand from the plastic piece its ready to go back I'm still going forward. No traction on anything. Grab brake too late I'm already falling of ramp and tailgate bike rolls out off ramp does a 180 in reverse and smashes down on its side in street. While I'm laying on my back in street watching the whole thing. Crappy day to say the least.
Posted via Mobile Device

I wish mine was more like these, I left work to get something from the gas station just down the road I stopped at a stop sign and when I took off I guess I had a little too much throttle cause when the slight curve came up I tried to break instead of lean. I hit the curb and went over the handle bars landed several feet in front of the bike. I'm just glad it wasn't the busa.
Posted via Mobile Device

I wish mine was more like these, I left work to get something from the gas station just down the road I stopped at a stop sign and when I took off I guess I had a little too much throttle cause when the slight curve came up I tried to break instead of lean. I hit the curb and went over the handle bars landed several feet in front of the bike. I'm just glad it wasn't the busa.
Posted via Mobile Device

OOOOOOoooooofff.... that one sounds a little bit rougher...

My car can do this at 30mph so my bike can too. Well, maybe the bike could, id been riding for all of a month, i couldnt. A co-worker happened upon me, brushed me off and followed me home. Sore knee and wounded pride

Was slowing down to turn into my parents driveway on a gsxr 600 in aug of 03,lady driving drunk hit me from behind running better than 60 according to the guy behind her.I flew about 30 feet hit the pavement and rolled in the ditch.Broke my back,road rash here and there.The bike was about 100 yards down the road.Dont remember alot of it .Prolly lucky im still here and able to walk.Had to wear a brace and was off work for about 3 months.was back riding as soon as I was able.

Was slowing down to turn into my parents driveway on a gsxr 600 in aug of 03,lady driving drunk hit me from behind running better than 60 according to the guy behind her.I flew about 30 feet hit the pavement and rolled in the ditch.Broke my back,road rash here and there.The bike was about 100 yards down the road.Dont remember alot of it .Prolly lucky im still here and able to walk.Had to wear a brace and was off work for about 3 months.was back riding as soon as I was able.

double ouch....

hope they threw the book at the lady driving drunk...

1953 Whizzer motorbike riding backroad from Banning ca to Beaumont looking for
short cut to Cherry Valley. Friend riding sidesaddle on tank said "turn here" what looked
like hard dirt was foot deep soft. Clearly remember him and bike underneath as I went
endo. Nobody hurt in soft stuff. Nice flying experience.

Dang stangman...glad you're here to talk about it!

First time was on my R6 when I first got to college, thought I was invincible and fast. Went riding with my buddy and took a corner too fast on a country road. There was a little ditch from water runoff right at the edge..front tire hit and and stopped the bike while I kept going over the handlebars. Friend said it looked like I was breakdancing w my helmet on! I ended up with a pretty decent concussion (mommy dearest took me to the hospital) and my pretty bike all scratched up.

Always good to learn from your own mistakes, even better to get something out of others'!

A drunk driver also hit me. He side swipped me coming over a small hill. He hit me before I knew what happened. Bike was completely totaled, as was my leg. I was wearing jeans at the moment, I was only driving a mile down the road to buy a pack of smokes. My leg alone totaled the PT Cruiser that hit me. The scar goes 3/4ths around my knee and a bit down my leg. Most of the people that witnessed it thought I had died, blood was everywhere. Here is a picture of the bike and my leg 9 months later.

ATT00025.jpg

504.jpg

I remember the first time like it was yesterday. It was a simple right hand turn. I took it at about 15mph. I caught just enough dirt with my rear tire

Back