First time racing ... LEGALLY!

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
I went ahead and particpated in my first LEGAL drag race! I gotta say ... there is no better feeling than running as fast as you and your bike can possibly go and not worry about idiot cagers darting out in front of you, or cops giving chase. My times aren't anything Ricky Gadson has to lose any sleep over, but I feel with some more practice (and 2 inches of lowering) I can see some major improvements.

I now present my timeslips.

This is my very first run. I kinda forgot what the big green light means.  
smile.gif

DVC00217.jpg

This is my third pass. I tried to get my rpms up like everyone else was doing just to see if it'll improve my time. I ended up stalling at the tree and just decided to cruise down.
DVC00218.jpg

This was my first actual race. He wanted the right lane so I gave it to him. I ended up spinning at the line since I couldn't find the grove in that lane (first time going to the left side) ... that explains the more than sucky 60ft. time. I mean they all suck, but this one is more than sucky! I ended up running him down and crossing the line banging off the 2nd gear rev limiter. That's the reason for the lower than usual trap speed. BTW ... it was some sort of HD type bike. Lowered and extended with a fat tire on the back. Sorry for the lack of pics, but I was racing not spectating.
DVC00220.jpg

This was my quickest pass of the day ... as well as my last. It was fun, but with the track temp being 140 degrees it was time to call it a day. It was against the same fella. He red lighted and decided to cruise down.
DVC00221.jpg

All in all, I had a blast and can't wait to go back. Hopefully I'll have lowered my bike by then. At first I wanted to do it for looks but now I have TWO reasons to get this mod done!

Not bad. Moroso Motorsports Park, June 2nd. Gates open @ 4:30. First ever bike only night. I'll Pm you my number if you want to hook up. It'll be a great time. Jeff

Do you mind if I ask what kind of safety gear you need for drag races? I am guessing just boots, jacket, gloves, and helmet

(KanjiBusa @ May 07 2007,01:42) Do you mind if I ask what kind of safety gear you need for drag races? I am guessing just boots, jacket, gloves, and helmet
The one I went to requires the bike to have a kill switch, working headlight, working tail light and the rider to wear a long sleeve jacket, full finger gloves, long pants, and of course an approved helmet.

I'm not sure if the jacket HAS to be leather (mine is so it didn't matter to me) but the pants have to be leather or denim. If the bike doesn't have a kill switch, it must be equipped with a tether switch.

As far as foot wear, I went with my Nikes so I don't think they are too strict on that.

Back