First time Lane Splitting California 405!!

bigboy

Registered
This was my first time in California , first time lane splitting and the first time on the 405! I was riding my friends 08 custom Hayabusa! I was nervous at first but by the time i left Cali i was golden LOL BTW for some stupid reason i decided to sight see during rush hour!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it was insanely hot too! I got some other videos later that week when i got really good at it! By then i rented a GXSR 600 so i could ride with my friend.
I enjoyed the 600 but it is soooo slow compared to a Hayabusa! I might post those vids...

Lane Splitting ....

Been doing it for years , actually best when traffic is really stopped competely.

If you dont go to fast when passing,you dont really piss off the cages. The slow speed also allows you time to react to sudden movements by the cars as well.

bb

Yes the luxury of lane splitting.
We have always had this in the UK, we call it filtering.
I've got a 13 minute video of me filtering through a traffic jam on the Busa.

This was my first time in California , first time lane splitting and the first time on the 405! I was riding my friends 08 custom Hayabusa! I was nervous at first but by the time i left Cali i was golden LOL BTW for some stupid reason i decided to sight see during rush hour!

Nice job bro(I've been doing it for the last 13 years and never really even a close call that I can remember).Next time you come out hit me up and we'll disturb a little peace together.:laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
This act most def works here in Cali... I can say that it save me so much commute time, I hate when I take the cage to work.... Boring as hell:thumbsup:

I am getting used to it, cant say I do it much in moving traffic, but it sure handy as all get out at traffic lights.

Even sticking to chp'so recommendations isn't bad lane splitting. They say when safe of course. Less than 10 mph over what the cars are going. And under 40 mph. So as long as they are going 35 or less I do it. Although on the b king I've only done it once because the previous owner put pro-taper dirtbike bars on it and it feels so wide lol.

Yeah definitely need a small nimble bike to feel confident like a sportbike! I have seen cruisers do it and i get nervous watching them

I know exactly where you got on the freeway, 405 north bound off of bristol. I live 1/2 a mile from there. Welcome to Socal traffic.

Know that area also,travel the 55 South to Newport Beach for work several times a week(though at 5:30 AM the traffic[on the 55]is still movin' along at a good clip:laugh:).

Learn to do it properly. Splitting should only be between the left two lanes. That's where it's expexted. If two bikes are splitting between two lanes next to each other where are the cars supposed to wag to allow more room for the bikes to get through safely? If they wag to the right for the bikes splitting on their left they'll hit the bike on the right.

Back