Lane Splitting / Filtering

Spectre

Donating Member
Registered
From my understanding only California allows lane splitting, although I have found myself doing it at times. I notice that I (unthinkingly) have a tendency to filter when alone than with a rider.

Heck, I was even cited for it once when a car squeezed me in my own lane while coming upon an accident (in Georgia)!

I did find a quick listing of riding laws by state here, but am not sure how dated the material is.

Anyone have something a little more current than this?

Interesting. In FL you have to be over 21 to drink alchol but are allowed to be .02 if you under age. guess thats just in case you swallowed your mouth wash before leaving the house:laugh:

What does it mean if there is no law on the books. We dont require much in Oklahoma. Come on down for an RC Cola and Moon Pie! :laugh:

There are several states that do not make it illegal...here is a good reference guide to motorcycle laws state by state...

State-by-state motorcycle laws

that is a great website. set as favorite.
I have a question though, for NM under lane splitting it says:

Not referenced in Administrative Code or Statutes

I assume then, that it is legal?

Also, by no sound criteria, that means there is no limmit, or is it just by the officer's judgement?

In ohio you can do it just dont get cought:laugh: really there is no law that says you can or can't do it

In ohio you can do it just dont get cought:laugh: really there is no law that says you can or can't do it

heh, the last time i was in Ohio LEO was all over and i was griping about the speed limits. :eh:

wow that ride from Cincinnati to Columbus was mind numbing... :sleeping:

that is a great website. set as favorite.
I have a question though, for NM under lane splitting it says:

I assume then, that it is legal?

Also, by no sound criteria, that means there is no limmit, or is it just by the officer's judgement?
Don't assume it's legal. They can site you for reckless I believe if it's not specifically allowed. At least that's the way the trooper explained it :whistle:

Always refer to state owned websites for the most current and accurate codes and laws.

If nothing else be super nice and plead ignorance. It can't hurt.

Not into lane splitting. To many azzclowns out there.

Don't assume it's legal. They can site you for reckless I believe if it's not specifically allowed. At least that's the way the trooper explained it :whistle:
Correct, you could also fall into some local ordinance (noise laws are notoriously governed by local laws)... Because an activity is not specifically addressed, does not make it legal... and if you get cited, "Ignorance is no excuse to the law" BTDT....

yeah I think since it is not addressed, technically it is legal. However, with wreckless driving, it is wholly under the officer's disgression, and here, they would give you the long shaft of the law, so I'll stay in just 1 lane lol.

Lane sharing is covered in Ohio law. I've seen it but cant remember where it was, but it's not legal.

I like how some people call it "filtering" as in filtering the idiots out of the gene pool:whistle:

Back