Lane Splitting ?

Bosshound

Donating Member
Registered
Lane Splitting is Legal Here in the Great State of Kalifornia. I Personally don't Split when I am on the Boulevard, Only Because it is a Big Sucker. However, on the Busa I Find Myself doing it more and more..... Had one lady in a Honda Today actually Move her Car MORE Over in toward the Middle to Try To Prevent me from goin by
pissed.gif
. I almost Kicked Her Door but.... I Guess I a Getting Old......
flush.gif

i wish it was legal here. ive never done it, but it sure has been VERY tempting several times. I'm always worried about the sudden door opening or the leo

I do it everyday on the way to work. If I don't I just sit in traffic and idle. When it's time to move forward, just walk it, not even into gear.

The most dangerous part is the people that try to block the way. I give them space then when they move over to block, I pass on the other side. Oh, and I scream choice words through my helmet. I don't think they hear me tho. The air horn also works really well when I get next to the worst offenders.

You know who you are lady in that volvo on your cellphone with your chihuahua!!!!!
(yeah, I've met her a few times on the commute)

Most important in Kalifornica is not to split much faster than the cars are going. I got pulled over once about 9 years ago. I was doing 60, speed limit was 65 and I figured nothing wrong. The cop kinda pointed out that traffic was doing 20. Ok, ok, never did that again. Lesson learned. I don't go more than 5 - 10 over traffic. If they're stopped, I'm barely moving just enough to keep it upright and able to stop on a dime. Never know if the wreck is just around the corner ahead.

I know lane splitting in AZ isn't legal, but sometimes when traffic just up and stops on the 10 or 202 for no apparent reason I do it. I agree with PandaNin. Only go just a bit faster than the cars are going. That way when someone gets silly and they will. You can avoid bad things.

Anyone else split in AZ frequently?

I am going to sound really "uneducated" here, but is lane splitting where traffic is stopped and you ride your bike between the cars to get around?

Back in 1988 (I Know Many Many Moons Ago) I Was Known to Kick a Big Dent in a Cagers Door when they tried to.......  Then I would Speed Away.  I was Never Caught but then I was 18 at the Time so I didn't Give a FU..
wowold.gif

Got More To Lose Today I Guess.......
crazy.gif

I do it too. If the weather is nice and traffic isn't heavy, I will just wait like everyone else. If the temp is anywhere above 90...or traffic is really backed up...watch out cause i'm splittin all the way to the front of the line...lol.

The law in cali is no more the 10 mph faster then traffic. I personally lane split to work everyday when I was in San Diego. The pros - you don't have to sit in traffic, you save a ton of time, and you don't have to walk the bike. The cons - Bad drivers, drivers who don't see you and change lanes, and yes, the jackholes that actually feel the need to try and enforce their own traffic laws.

I am not entirely sure, but i do know not too many states allow lane splitting, Oregon does not, but all that do, it's no more than 10 mph more than traffic. Anything more than that really doesn't give you enough time to react to the unobservent and the rude.

Do it everyday on my 70 mile roundtrip to work. Probably split at least 20 miles of that. I have cooled my jets on reacting to cagers stupidity. One thing I won't do is split past a big rig going over about 40. I've seen them let loose a retread, but one day I saw one of their trailer tires explode suddenly and violently, then launch pieces everywhere. I have had a huge respect for the tires on them alone since that day.

I know lane splitting in AZ isn't legal, but sometimes when traffic just up and stops on the 10 or 202 for no apparent reason I do it. I agree with PandaNin. Only go just a bit faster than the cars are going. That way when someone gets silly and they will. You can avoid bad things.

Anyone else split in AZ frequently?
I do, im not sitting in 120 degree weather in traffic. Which is rare for me here in Phoenix. But I do its around 150ish degrees on the freeway with all the cars sending heat to me. Its like a $350 fine. But worth it.

But what's your excuse for being late to work ? I'd be skeert !! Cars here can't stand it if you try to pass them on single dotted lanes, they all do that OH NO HE ISN'T,then swerve over. I truely don't get that ? I don't care if someone passes me on the shoulder.

I miss being able to lane split. In California it becomes part of the way you ride. The first time I got the Busa out here in Indy I was coming up to a  light and out of habit, lane split the traffic at the light to move to the front. The cars on either side of me were like WTF? I was thinking "What is wrong with these people? Why the mean looks?" Then I realized and was like "Oh crap, I hope a LEO doesn't see me!" Riding now and seeing those huge gaps between the cars at lights drives me a little nutz though. You can lane split in most other countries, I think you should be able to do it anywhere here as well.

I tend to lane split if I'm in a hurry or if the two cars in front of me are trying to enforce the actual posted speed limit. "YA JACKA$$!!"

Back