Lane Splitting Alert/info Video For Wa And Or

Circumstances (poor planning..?) put me in rush hour traffic in Portland, OR last friday afernoon. Traffic was full stop. I was hot, the bike was running hot. I've never done this before, but I did a bit of what apparently is called "filtering." While I am sure that the motorists I idled by where not thrilled, nobody made any gestures.

As consistently as gridlock is the norm in much of the country, and having spent a percentage of my life in a car stuck in the aformentioned gridlock, I can see the benefits of permitting splitting / filtering.

Hailing from what some consider Lane-Splitting Central (SoCal), filtering is nerve-wracking and only marginally safer (rear-ended v cut off) but a mandatory riding skill around here.
I got cut off while filtering this past July (maybe 20mph) and reflexively used my right hand to stop the intruding car. That did not work nearly as well as a little handlebar input. God knows what I was thinking:banghead:

Hailing from what some consider Lane-Splitting Central (SoCal), filtering is nerve-wracking and only marginally safer (rear-ended v cut off) but a mandatory riding skill around here.
I got cut off while filtering this past July (maybe 20mph) and reflexively used my right hand to stop the intruding car. That did not work nearly as well as a little handlebar input. God knows what I was thinking:banghead:

If done respectfully, I do not have a problem with it as an auto driver. Especially if some sweet-young-thing in leopard print pants is occuping the passenger pillion...

Back