lane splitting

bajabug

Registered
just wondering in what states is lane splitting legal? Anyone been tagged in a state where its illegal?

Im not concernd about splitting at high speeds just moving through traffic. although i would enjoy hearing a few horror stories about high speed splitting. thanks!!

Matt

Not legal is South Dakota. But when I see maybe 20 cars in the 20 mile drive to work, lane splitting doesn't really add up!
tounge.gif

California ONLY!!!! Some other states MAY tolerate it here and there, but it's illegal.

I do it on a regular basis at some of the LOOOOONG Red lights in the area or when traffic is backed up on the interstate, or when people are purposely fuggin with me, Or when I just did something REALLY fuggin stupid and I need to um.... sorta dissapear...
smile.gif
Haven't found a cruiser yet, lights or no, that can part traffic faster than a bike...
---------------------------------------------------
Theoretically speaking of course....
thumbs-up.gif

It's definietly a no no hear in VA. Not saying that I do but NOVA traffic is just plain shiddy specially 95 and 66 around DC. Sometimes ya just got do what ya got a do.

Found this a few months back..
State Moto Riding Laws

Do it all the time.....most folks here in Cali are used to it by now, very rarely do you get the jackwads that try to squeeze you out like you did a few years back.

Here in San Diego it is illegal on citystreets. Legal on the freeway. At 25 miles an hour and below, speed no more than 10 miles an hour faster than the speed of traffic. In L.A. it is legal in the city . I split lanes everyday in town though. People go out of their way to leave you room here on Diego freeways. Very courteous bunch!

not at all here in NY but when you are breaking at least 5 - 10 laws just on your way to work lane splitting is the least of my worries :)who listens to the law anyway
smile.gif
:)

Not leagal in S.C. especially at Myrtle Beach during bike week, I got a $100.00 ticket. Most riders do it but keep a sharp eye out for the man.

Autta get laws to allow lane sharing. Two vehicles sharing the same lane. It's on par with two cars at a intersection. One going staight the other way on the right making a right turn. Technically sharing the same lane. It's the loop hole that allows motorcycles to lane split. If there was enough room two cars could lane split.
Some stories how it came to be accepted. Air cooled motorcycles overheat while stopped in traffic. Allow them to keep air flowing in grid lock by lane sharing. Another is Highway Patrol wants to get to an emergency through grid lock. Then there is the enviormental concerns of traffic congestion. Lanesharing means motorcycles at least won't be adding to the congestion. Besides something to look at for cagers while motorcycles scoot up the middle. Safety concerns getting rear ended by a cager because the motorcycle is hard to see. Write representatives get things rolling
tounge.gif

Had a great time one morning on a very busy divided 2 lane (in each direction) connector hiway...following two CHP BMWs as (they) parted the traffic heading to a semi truck jack knifed up ahead about 8 miles. Man, you should have seen those cars and trucks pull wide for the cops. It was like Moses parting the Red Sea! All we did was just follow them thru.
brave.gif

Here in San Diego it is illegal on citystreets.  Legal on the freeway.  At 25 miles an hour and below, speed no more than 10 miles an hour faster than the speed of traffic.  In L.A. it is legal in the city .  I split lanes everyday in town though.  People go out of their way to leave you room here on Diego freeways.  Very courteous bunch!
This is a common misconception. It is not "legal" anywhere. But in CA it is not "illegal" either. There are no set rules or guidlines that you have to adhere too. The only thing that gets you by is whether the cop thinks you are doing it in a 'safe' manner. If he is having a bad day and you are going by at 1 mile an hour faster than stopped traffic, he can site you and you are screwed. In Ca it is "legal" for ANY vehicle to "share" lanes, cars included, if the lane is wide enough to support both vehicles.

It is only illegal if you get caught.

I agree with most of what you say sykotyk but what would the citation be for? Illegal lane change? Speeding? Reckless driving? CHP advises that unless they are also on a bike, no one is going to be "caught" much less cited. The general rule is whatever is reasonable and prudent given the conditions present. Be careful, do NOT go faster then 5-15 mph faster than traffic is going and no loud pipes. Adhere to those "rules" and no one should have any trouble.

Not leagal in S.C. especially at Myrtle Beach during bike week, I got a $100.00 ticket. Most riders do it but keep a sharp eye out for the man.
Funny you should mention that because I did quite a bit of it in Myrtle Beach. Depends on my mood at the time is whether I will do it or not. Usually if I do do it, a ticket is the least of my concerns. Sometimes a brutha gotta do whut a brutha gotta do...
biggrin.gif

I agree with most of what you say sykotyk but what would the citation be for?  Illegal lane change?  Speeding?  Reckless driving?  CHP advises that unless they are also on a bike, no one is going to be "caught" much less cited.  The general rule is whatever is reasonable and prudent given the conditions present.  Be careful, do NOT go faster then 5-15 mph faster than traffic is going and no loud pipes.  Adhere to those "rules" and no one should have any trouble.
Yes any of those, well except for the speeding. I agree most would not get caught by a car. Maybe a radio. I agree, I usually only go slightly faster then the traffic around me and have passed many a cop with no problems yet. (Insert knock on wood smiley here) And always try to stay in one lane, weaving back and forth with cause them to notice you easier.

Bacharles, I still do it also but now I'm more aware of my surroundings. The state troopers on bikes do it there to catch other bikers, that's how I got caught. I was going slow checking out some of the rides on the strip when it happened.

Its legal here! Okinawan's move out of the way.

Not that it helps you, this is a great place to ride. Virtually no LEOs. They only respond to wrecks. Once you learn where the cameras are, you are good to go!

Did I mention that it's 76 degrees right now?
tounge.gif

cool! thanks guys for the posts. to bad its not legal most everywhere, o well just another thing to worry about getting tagged for.

Matt

Back