Lane Splitting ?

I used to live in California and split traffic all the time. A true necessity there. People are used to it and I never once encountered someone who intentionally tried to squish me.

California is the only state that allows it.

There is no law that says you have to limit your speed to 10mph over the speed of traffic. However, it's probably considerably dangerous just because you're difficult to see. If you're going overly fast, a copy might write you a reckless riding ticket.

My opinion is, splitting traffic is no more dangerous than just riding in general. Maybe safer to split in some regards, less safe in others. I'm not about to sit in traffic, though.

Since I've moved out of CA, I've split traffic a couple times but really, there is no extreme need for it here where there is very little traffic.

--Wag--

Do it everyday on my 70 mile roundtrip to work. Probably split at least 20 miles of that. I have cooled my jets on reacting to cagers stupidity. One thing I won't do is split past a big rig going over about 40. I've seen them let loose a retread, but one day I saw one of their trailer tires explode suddenly and violently, then launch pieces everywhere. I have had a huge respect for the tires on them alone since that day.
the simi's load was too heavy. driver's and the hiring company's fault because they try to pack in too much for a trip.

Pro- You won't get rear ended

Con- You could get sideswipped  
cool.gif
between getting rear-ended or side-swiped??

I'll choose the side-swipe anyday! that's why I'm such a big advocate of splitting lanes. It's a lot safer... If done correctly.

Do it everyday on my 70 mile roundtrip to work. Probably split at least 20 miles of that. I have cooled my jets on reacting to cagers stupidity. One thing I won't do is split past a big rig going over about 40. I've seen them let loose a retread, but one day I saw one of their trailer tires explode suddenly and violently, then launch pieces everywhere. I have had a huge respect for the tires on them alone since that day.
the simi's load was too heavy.  driver's and the hiring company's fault because they try to pack in too much for a trip.
Huh?

I spent 25 years in the trucking business. Retreads eventually come loose, period. That is why you can't have them on the steering tires. I am not saying that an overweight load won't contribute but you don't see as many overweight trailers on the highways these days. Mobile scales in the commercial enforcement vehichles slowed that way down.

I have been splitting lanes for years here in Cali and I had some close calls. Its ok when done carefully but I cant say it will be safe, there is always an elavated risk factor. I try not to split next to big rigs etc, simply due to if you fall next to it, the tired will probably run over a body part of yours, probably your head.

Top 10 Rules for Lane Splitting

10) Dont do anything that will make that driver try to run the next rider off the road
9) be patient... they will still be in traffic when you are home, putting your kickstand down
8) always assume everyone is trying to kill you
7) watch for the nice drivers who do head checks before changing lanes
6) watch the front wheels for d---head drivers who dont check
5) be aware of other cars/bikes in the other lanes too (chain reactions get ugly quick)
4) keep spark plugs handy for NYC cabbies (and others) who like to open doors or drive into you purposely
3) If you need to use the spark plug..PLEASE make sure you have the ability/route to get away
2) give an appreciative wave for those who make space for you

oh yeah...
1) if its illegal in your state.... STOP DOING IT WHEN YOU SEE THE COPS

-jh
proud supporter of the bonus rule: If said cops see you AND they are stuck in the traffic AND you decide not to stop ...SEE RULE #3

i am really confused because i can not find where it is illegal here in ohio it just says that it is not referenced in Administrative Code or Statutes so does that mean that we can do it in ohio and not get a ticket?

I used to live in California and split traffic all the time. A true necessity there. People are used to it and I never once encountered someone who intentionally tried to squish me.

California is the only state that allows it.

There is no law that says you have to limit your speed to 10mph over the speed of traffic. However, it's probably considerably dangerous just because you're difficult to see. If you're going overly fast, a copy might write you a reckless riding ticket.

My opinion is, splitting traffic is no more dangerous than just riding in general. Maybe safer to split in some regards, less safe in others. I'm not about to sit in traffic, though.

Since I've moved out of CA, I've split traffic a couple times but really, there is no extreme need for it here where there is very little traffic.

--Wag--
Hmm I got a pretty stern warning about the 10 mph part a few years back.. CHP told me that there was a 10mph differential limit and you can not exceed posted either..

There is a 10mph differential. I know, I got beat up about it, then looked it up. Also, for you Cali riders. Coronado is making a push to make lane splitting illegal in thier little portion of Cali. Which may start a landslide of anti lane splitting knuckleheads.

I've found that predominantly, people here in SoCal will move out of your way, opening space for you not to hit their Mercedes/BMW/Rolls/Bentley/Ferrari (you get the idea).

It has been my experience that people who get all agro about me splitting lanes is extremely rare. Just enough to keep you sharp.

I think the book says something like: "Lane sharing is not illegal, however it is not recommended".

Shaves precious time off a drive anywhere.

I've found that predominantly, people here in SoCal will move out of your way, opening space for you not to hit their Mercedes/BMW/Rolls/Bentley/Ferrari (you get the idea).

It has been my experience that people who get all agro about me splitting lanes is extremely rare. Just enough to keep you sharp.

I think the book says something like: "Lane sharing is not illegal, however it is not recommended".

Shaves precious time off a drive anywhere.

I love lanespliting however, I have been hit twice while doing so. The first time was a guy changin lanes without looking, and I rear ended him, the other was similar situation and I got side swiped. Interchanges are horrible here in LA since no one has clue how to merge. Both of my accidents were at interchanges, the first the 10 to the 405 and the second the 405 to the 101. Even with my mishaps, I wont stop riding or splitting lanes.

This sure isn't legal in Ct. I didn't know it was legal anywhere. Must be nice.
Yhea but most things are not legal in CT. Wasn't that long ago that radar detectors were illegal in CT. They will pull you over pretty quick is you gt caught trying to gt through traffic.

Back