Opinions on FJR 1300

bushman

Registered
Does anyone have any suggestions, negative or positive on Yamaha's FJR sport-tourer,  I have the option to buy one someone else ordered, and did not take. I have the bike locked up until sat the 28th.  I've had 3 busas, and i'm looking for something for long distance travel, and more back friendly. All comments are welcome,   Thanks.

Sorry, never tried it so I can't comment... I've heard though that it gets hotter than Busa, don't know if it is any true ....just heard it.....

The FJR was my first choice when I was looking for a new bike, but none were available until June or July (this was in Feb/March '04), so I went with the 'Busa and modified it with the typical comfort items. I just got back from putting 3700 miles on the bike in one week. In retrospect, I think I would have been better suited to the FJR, but now that I have the 'Busa, I can't give it up.

Um, I sat on one, felt like a bizarre mix of a Busa and a Goldwing... Interesting. Basically a BIG Sport Touring bike, I think it's pretty cool...

So long as your Over 60...
laugh.gif

OK OK, seriously... Cool Bike.

The FJR was my first choice when I was looking for a new bike, but none were available until June or July (this was in Feb/March '04), so I went with the 'Busa and modified it with the typical comfort items.  I just got back from putting 3700 miles on the bike in one week.  In retrospect, I think I would have been better suited to the FJR, but now that I have the 'Busa, I can't give it up.
Same thing here. Was looking for an FJ, the salesman says "don't have one, won't get one for a year, have you ever sat on a Hayabusa?"

I've laid down serious miles on the Busa over a weekend (+700), and couldn't be happier.

No regrets. The Busa is the king.

For comfort on your busa, you can raise and pull back the bars, and drop the seat (with creative carving). Otherwise, I haven't had the chance to see (or pass) any new FJs.

i rode an fj bout a month ago. It was decent and probably would be my pick as a great all rounder....f there was no busas left in the world. The busa with a few comfort mods smokes it in every dept-- IMHO.

They get rave reviews, and they look reasonably sporty. Prior to purchasing the Busa, I was looking at the FJR with the thought that the ole wifey would get on the back.

She said "No way!", so I bought the Busa, and the cowling has been on since day one.

Good luck on your decision.

My dad has one and he loves it. He went from BMW K and R bikes and he got tired of the maintenance and not being able to find a good mechanic to work on them so he bought the FJR and never looked back. They are not as fast as the busa in a straightline(obviously) but he has never had a problem keeping up with me. When he had his R1100RT and we were on a two lane highway, he would kick down a gear and pop around a slow car and I would nail it and follow him around and then have to let off because I would come flying up behind him, now I can just nail it and follow him around.

I rode it for a few miles and it definitely has some kick but it felt really strange since the bars are a lot higher and they come back towards you from the triple clamp. The brakes are awesome and it handles pretty good for a bigger bike. If you are used to the bigger sport touring rigs then you would love it. He just can't stop talking about how much he likes it.

As long as you're not getting a Busa, you might try to find a Honda ST1300 over the FJR. It's more comfortable, handles better and doesn't heat up like the FJR. FJR is faster and quicker in the short run but you have to decide what's important to you. Good luck and have fun...

I agree with most here....I've had many Yammies and they're great bikes. I was tempted by the FJR myself...but I'm a roller-coaster g-force acceleration kinda guy who still wants some comfort and torque...so the Busa was the only real choice
wink.gif
its all about what you want from your bike....:p

EPISODES..
smile.gif

one.

I was doing 150mph and an FJR smoked me with 160+ with the guy standing straight up!.. Wtf? !!

two.

the handlebars are 100% touristic issue.. If you like lazy driving, this is you bike.. ..never go near a track, however..
smile.gif

three.

..this guy on episode one, wants to trade with my busa.. he keeps calling me every 10 days.. ..it's so funny..

four.

ah! forgot.. ..after episode one, I smoked his a** with 200+ then waited him at next toll booth, he rode off and went "WHOAAAH!.." what is THIS you're riding!.. "

yep. it's good to be the king..
smile.gif

five.

get the busa. it can be a SPORTS-tourer and you will never look back. Get Tobin to "carve" your seats and set you up with backrests and you're good to go to the moon and back..

smile.gif

smile.gif

..sorry, I just saw you already had three busas.. ..so you know.. ..it just so needs a little trimming on the spots, and it is a long distance bike that can also HOLD the road! FJR is simply not convincing in the frame department, and the upright riding position is simply NOT suitable for long rides! yep, the obvious is sometimes not true.. your backbone and middle-parts (joints etc) will suffer from it, being straight-up and having to absorb in a vertical manner ALL vibrations, weight and strains (plus the long hours..) while the semi-duck position on a busa is much more comfortable and back-relaxing..

I rode for three hours on a brand new Honda CBF 600 yesterday, and I can't wait to get back to my bike!..
smile.gif

FWIW, one of my regular riding buddies rides an FJR and he raves about it. He was looking for a comfortable 2 up tourer and took his wife with on the test rides - they tested the BMWs RT - gutless, GT - nice but pricey. They even tested the 'Busa but wifey found it a bit abrupt in traffic (which I suspect was my mate getting carried away). So they settled for the FJR. A couple of months before I got my 'Busa we did a long distance (1 750 km) trip over a weekend. In our bunch were two FJRs, one Sprint ST and me on the Buell XB9R - guess who had the most uncomfortable trip? (That was the final straw that made me buy the 'Busa).

Anyway to get back to the topic. The FJR has a strong motor and will pull to 250 kph (156 mph) but no more. It looks weird seeing him doing 120 + mph sitting bold upright. It appears reliable with the exception of the paint - for some reason it doesn't so much chip from normal road grit but almost shatter in a small star shaped mark?

He's had it on the track where it performed well for it's size (he is a very experienced rider and races classics with me) and had all the spectators rolling with laughter as he cruised past sitting upright and looking all relaxed while a Triumph 955i was bouncing off the rev limiter trying to pass!

Might ask Hank over at Sport-touring.net
He use to be a member here, but he bought an FJ.  I'm sure a quick post there would give you more than enough information to make a well informed decision. Not that you wouldn't/couldn't get good info here... Just might find a lot more FJ owners there.

<!--EDIT|ks-waterbug
Reason for Edit: None given...|1092845489 -->

I have both I love my BUSA for hard riding twisties and speed.I love my FJR as well I put 390 mi on the BUSA in a day and felt it.I have gen mar bar raisers and a gel seat.On the other hand the only mod on the FJR is a taller wider windscreen to extend my riding season.The FJR is a very capable bike it flys handles very well (it could use more ground clearence).I can stay in the saddle for alonger period of time,carry all my gear and it will hang with most any bike out there.As far as the heat situation I think both bikes heat up just the same.I've got the peg feelers down to a nice 45 deg angles I don't think you'll be diappointed.

<!--EDIT|jetset
Reason for Edit: None given...|1092924544 -->

Me_and_Freeda.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions, negative or positive on Yamaha's FJR sport-tourer,  I have the option to buy one someone else ordered, and did not take. I have the bike locked up until sat the 28th.  I've had 3 busas, and i'm looking for something for long distance travel, and more back friendly. All comments are welcome,   Thanks.
bushman, I think you'll love it. A friend of mine has one and he's put 17,000 miles on the thing since taking delivery this spring (rat bastard, he's his own boss and can ride all he wants).

I have another moto pal here who is on his second Hayabusa and he's set to have his FJR delivered this November. He's stoked.

You might want to register over at SportTouring.net; there are alot of guys who own (or have owned) both bikes and you might be able to get some good intel there. (edit: in addition to jetset's first hand accounts here in the thread- just read his post).

<!--EDIT|opdsgt
Reason for Edit: None given...|1092932113 -->

Thanks everyone for all the quick responses, I sold my busa and bought another heritage classic harley, Talk about a step back to the caveman days, I hate it every time i go to the mountains, I find myself in a stage in my life where i want to go fast, brake hard safley, and still be comfortable until i get where i'm going to ride hard. Iv'e been looking at the fjr for along time, and it seems to be the best compromise out there, Bmw's, too expensive, Honda ST, smaller goldwing look, The fjr has the looks, power, brakes, and a better price than most. I guess it's a scratch i want to itch. I also think they will hold their value better than most, because there are not as many around. I'll keep everyone posted on the results of my first ride. Thanks again

Back