Touring on the Hayabusa

Busatourer

Registered
Hello all

I currently ride a V-Strom, which is a great bike, as it has taken me from Halifax to BC last summer without a problem. I had had a V-Star cruiser before that, but realized that cruiser thing was not for me. I enjoy a machine with performance despite having passed the half-century mark.
grim.gif

I must confess to loving the looks of the Busa, and the dealer where I bought my Strom has a silver 2003 at a great price. I had thought about the FJR 1300 but I prefer the look of the Busa and the fact that it is a 6 speed versus a 5 speed. I have sat on --though unfortunately not ridden either-- and the Busa seems very spacious and comfortable. The big question is whether one can safetly put bags on the 03. I have read about subframe breakage, and have looked at the posts on this group but cannot find any information to indicate that it has been corrected.

The sales guy at the dealership told me that the 03 has an aluminum sub-frame. Does anyone know if the breakage/cracking problem affects the 03?

I wonder if with a set of risers and bags the Busa might make a suitable long distance tourer? Last season I put on about 23,000 km on the Strom, and when travelling across the country I could easily do 1,000 km days.

Any advice and opinions will be most appreciated.

Busatourer?

First Welcome to the board. There are a number of guys here that make long rides on their Busa's. The most I have put on mine in one day was around 300 miles and my shoulders were a little sore. I have left my bike stock so I can't help you there but there will be a lot of post soon. As for the aluminum subframe I thought it was only on the 99's, 00's and maybe on the 01's I am almost sure it should be steal on the 03's.

Steel subframe on the 2003.
I know some guys who ride GSXR1000's from michigan to california & back in 8 days.
So I say the Busa could be much better than those 1000's, put on the heli bars and you will be even more comfy.
Get to the GYM and hit the weights twice a week you are young sir, heck there are guy's in their 60's & 70's riding the Best machine on the road the Hayabusa, it is the Pinacle of Motorcyling.

I believe that mjames from NYC rode his BUSA on the CCC last year with a passenger.  If you don't know what the CCC is it is an endurance where  you Ride to Jacksonville FL then ride to San Deigo CA then back to Jacksonvill FL within 100 hours.

Here is the link from another BB

Tony
Clink Here to read the ride tale

Welcome to the board, a great place for information  
smile.gif

Your question is the very reason I put off buying the bike for about 8 months. I did a lot of searching on the web for others that rode the bike long distance. I was able to find a lot who put on long miles, I found one guy in Florida who sold a Honda Valkyrie for a busa, he was 61 years old.

I too have a Honda Valkyrie interstate for the long rides, even did an ironbutt ride on the Valk. It is a very good bike.

I typically do 2 long rides during the year 1,500-2,000 miles in a 3-4 day period with some friends, so the distance riding and comfort was a real concern for me also.

Right after I got my bike I did about 250 miles one day, found the stock bars to be too low for my comfort, I am 5'7", at the end of the day my back and neck were very sore.
I did some research and installed heli-bars, they look very good, can not tell they are aftermarket. The heli-bars made all the difference in the world. Have since done a 700 mile day, felt comfortable all day long and no real discomfort at the end of the ride.
I have a set of soft Tour Master bags, saddle and top bag, they attached together or can be used separately. They work very well together. I can look and see what exact model they are if you want, just e-mail or PM me.

I will probably sell my Valk this spring. Riding the Valk allowed me to slouch while riding making my upper back sore, while the Busa does not. There is more pressure on the hands and wrist riding the busa, but you can change your riding position a bit and remove much of the pressure.

I have been very happy with the Busa, both short and long distance riding. The Busa is a lot more fun in the mountains where I do a lot of riding.

IMHO the Busa is a good all-around bike, One guy did the ccc100 this past year on a Busa, two-up.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Just my .02 worth.

Ride safe  
eyes.gif

Welcome to the board. Aluminum subframes were on '99 and '00 models. 2001 and newer models are steel. Busa's are great for touring and you can find just about anything you could imagine and more to accessorise.

I have done several 800 plus mile days on my 02 LE Busa. I added a Puig double bubble windscreen to cut the wind a little better. All stock otherwise. As far as bags, I use a huge Teknic tank bag along with a set of expandable Nelson Rigg saddle bags and tailbag. I can carry over a weeks worth of clothes with that set up. The bike handles a little differently but thats because of where the extra weight is added. Just keep that in mind when you've got it loaded down and its no big deal.

I bought my Busa in late August and rode 3000 miles through the end of September. Since then the weahter has been pretty much crap. Anyhow, in the course of a month or so. I did two 500 mile days, and one 300 day. At the end of all of these rides I wanted to keep riding, but I had to go to work. I'm around 5'10" and my Busa is basically stock. I haven't felt any discomfort. I use a technique take bag for week long trips, and this works fine for me if I'm just doing the motel thing. I'm 56 and I find the Busa to be very comfortable in all respects. It is very smooth, and the power is incredable. I have ridden a lot of bikes over the years, but the Busa is by far the most fun and exciting motorcycle I have ever owned. Just respect it it's awsome power and you be fine.

Wow

Great responses. I just got back from grocery shopping, slipping through the ice and snow rushed to the computer to check the list. Good information on the subframe problem and encouraging words about touring with the Busa.

Thanks for your help. Will let you know what I do.

Busatourer?
newbie.gif

The Busa is a great sport bike and the ultimate sport tourer. I'm 47 and 5'11" . This bike is just the perfect fit for me. I had other bikes, the last 3 before my 2003 busa were a 2002 Kawa ZX-12R, a 1999 Honda CBR-1100XX, a 1993 Yamaha FJ-1200. The busa is the best of all for sport riding and for touring. In 2003 I rode 27 000 kilometers (almost 17 000 miles).

When I am on vacation, I pull a small trailer behind the Busa. Just amazing. When back home, I take the hitch off the bike in a matter of minutes and go back to a sportier ride to take advantage of the mods I made (Yosh RS-3 oval full exhaust system, PCIIIr, G-Pack. and the small box mod) See the attached pic but sorry I don't have a closer picture of the bike and the hitch (forgot to take a closer one when trailer was behind). You can also see my wife's bike, a 2002 CBR 954.

busa0001.jpg

The BUSA is a great tourer.

I do lots of 1000+ mile trips 2 up and a solo trip every year that normally ends up between 5000 and 6000 miles. The only mod I have is Corbin Seats.

I find the busa is comfy without any risers. Some guys add GSXR750 pegs which give a little more legroom and taller windscreens. I am 6'2'' and the stock bike works fine.

My best advice is - Get good luggage. I use the Ventura Rack System for 2 up riding and RKA Luggage for solo riding. Plenty of room to carry everything.

There are a number of threads on what hard bags can be used on the Busa. Here is Pacemaster's set up:

Pace_Master_1.jpg

Beautiful bike, and good ideas. I already own Givi Bags, which while not pretty have great capacity. I have found some decent racks at Riderhaus for the Busa.

Thanks "62" for posting our pic...I made my own 1"1/2 bar risers..out of round aluminum "four" and found some long enough stainless allen bolts with locknut's----Plus the tall screen from England. Found Givi brackets used...and bought the big tail trunk..just don't go over 155 as the big trunk tries to lift the reat wheel off the ground--riding solo ---
Got in a 85 mile ride today with my electric jacket..I am 52 and just love this Scooter...have done a couple of 500 mile day's solo and 300 two up....not bad--just the usual abit sore
That's what Pain relivers are for..now ride.....

Lordag_2.JPG

I'm also a n00b here and am wondering about the touring capabilities of this beast. I currently own a CBR1100XX and was wondering how well the engine of the BUSA keeps up. You can turn 100k miles on the Bird no problem, but how about the Hayabusa? I really want to add the Busa to the stable but am just scared that the engine will die on me at 20k. Any input?

<!--EDIT|Sk8boardIL
Reason for Edit: None given...|1076347292 -->

Back