Comfortable riding

ChronosWS

Registered
I am considering buying a 2005 'busa as a highway bike, mostly for longer trips across the state and perhaps serious touring. I have been looking around at everything from the Yamaha ST1300 to the Honda Interceptor. However, while the ST1300 is definitely comfy, it just isn't the looker in my opinion. I'm mixed on the Interceptor.

I currently own a 2004 Suzuki SV1000S and have upgraded the seats to Corbin units, which are tremendously more comfortable than the original torture units. This bike is tolerable for me for about 250 miles of superslab. Any more and I begin to get seriously fatigued. I have heard that the 'busa is rather comfortable, but I've not had the opportunity to ride one (or even sit on it yet.)

I would like to get your opinions on how comfortable the 'busa is for long distance touring as compared to other bikes. Besides the SV I presently own, I have also spent time on a Kawasaki ZR7S (my first bike) and my friend's ZX6R (I am convinced that whole bike is a torture device.) I do not consider myself an aggressive rider, but I enjoy the sport position of my SV over the standard position of the ZR7. Would the 'busa be an upgrade in comfort over long distances compared to the SV, or would it be a wash? If I were looking for a sport tourer that didn't look like a baby Goldwing but was comfy too, and it isn't a 'busa, would there be other recommendations?

Incidentally, I do not consider mucking with the SV to be an option. I intend to keep it as my twisty bike because I enjoy it as such.

Thanks.

I am considering buying a 2005 'busa as a highway bike, mostly for longer trips across the state and perhaps serious touring.  I have been looking around at everything from the Yamaha ST1300 to the Honda Interceptor.  However, while the ST1300 is definitely comfy, it just isn't the looker in my opinion.  I'm mixed on the Interceptor.

I currently own a 2004 Suzuki SV1000S and have upgraded the seats to Corbin units, which are tremendously more comfortable than the original torture units.  This bike is tolerable for me for about 250 miles of superslab.  Any more and I begin to get seriously fatigued.  I have heard that the 'busa is rather comfortable, but I've not had the opportunity to ride one (or even sit on it yet.)  

I would like to get your opinions on how comfortable the 'busa is for long distance touring as compared to other bikes.  Besides the SV I presently own, I have also spent time on a Kawasaki ZR7S (my first bike) and my friend's ZX6R (I am convinced that whole bike is a torture device.)  I do not consider myself an aggressive rider, but I enjoy the sport position of my SV over the standard position of the ZR7.  Would the 'busa be an upgrade in comfort over long distances compared to the SV, or would it be a wash?  If I were looking for a sport tourer that didn't look like a baby Goldwing but was comfy too, and it isn't a 'busa, would there be other recommendations?

Incidentally, I do not consider mucking with the SV to be an option.  I intend to keep it as my twisty bike because I enjoy it as such.

Thanks.
In my opinion, if you're under 6' you may need some mods to get a comfortable enough position to ride. I still have mine stock and haven't done more than 400 or so miles in a day, not to say that I couldn't but my skinny rear needs a rest every hours or so. I get squirmy if I don't stop.

Kevin

less comfy than the pure sports touring bikes like concourse, fjr, st, etc. but way more comfortable than any 1k or less cc sportbike. another bike that you may want to consider too is the blackbird.

Its more comfy than r1, gsxr1000, rc51, and ninja 10r

But its not as comfy as a cruiser.

You have to do a few mods to make it crusier comfy(move pegs, raise bars, softer seat, windscreen, etc..), the advantage is the comfort to performance.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098066357 -->

Kawasaki ZZR1200.... Or VFR would both be more comfortable over the long haul... Busa is pretty damned comfortable but really if you aren't into the busa, you might want to keep shopping for a highway bike. Helibars, and an aftemarket seat can really help, but some of the other bikes out there are ready to go right outta the box.

The Hayabusa is a far cry better road bike than the SVS IMO. I installed a 3/4" Genmar riser and a Puig double-bubble screen, then rode mine to the Rockies and back (600 miles one way) with nary a hitch. Eight and a half hours in the saddle at once, stopping only for fuel and a drink of water.

Here's a link to the thread in question . . .

I was amazed at how fresh I felt at the end of the trip. Before this little aventure, the longest I'd gone in one day was about 300 miles. That in and of itself speaks volumes about the busa's comfort level. AFAIC, you can't beat it when it comes to big sportbikes.

Oh, fwiw, the riser and screen cost me the grand total of about $200, so if that's all that stands between you and a better road bike than something like a 100 hp Interceptor, I say go for the Suzook. You will thank me later.

The longest day I've put on my Busa has been about 400miles in amlost 10 hours.  Just ask the Laguna folks.  
biggrin.gif
I was a little numb but I had a great time and would do it again.

<!--EDIT|jwcfbd
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098067669 -->

I have an 02 Busa. I am 6 feet tall and purchased a Corbin seat for my bike. The factory seat becomes uncomfortable after an 1.5 hours. I regularly take 3.5 hour rides one way from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale. The seat is very comfortable but I get some vibration through the foot pegs. Feet begin to ache after about two hours. Other than that, it's a wonderful ride.

Like these guys have said...the Busa's a (very fast
wow.gif
 ) compromise between a sportbike and a touring bike...but def more sporting than touring. If you wanna just eat up the miles for hours on end, they'res better mounts I think....I'd look at a ZZR-1200 or FJR 1300...or if you don't mind spending more the new Beemer 1200. But if you like to cruise and also need the adrenalin glands exercised regularly with outlandish acceleration and sportbike handling the Busa's the only thing going  
tounge.gif
For my kinda riding the Busa's perfect....ymmv  
wink.gif

At 5'8" tall the stock Busa was not very comfortable for my body.  The worst was my neck with my head constantly at the most extreme looking up position.  Once I raised the bars up 1 inch, lowered the back end 1 inch, and got a Tobin seat which lowered me about 1 3/4 inches the bike is now very comfy.  Details:  

<!--EDIT|Doglanta
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098146851 -->

I had my Busa 2 weeks when I rode to Maine and back to have Heli-Bars installed at the factory, 460 mile round trip, this was before the Corbin seat, excepting the traffic jam around Boston I enjoyed the ride, and I have owned Ultra classics, Wings, and I plan on piloting the Busa down to Deals Gap before the snow flys. I have Genmar 3/4" bar risers coming, I need to get the wind up higher but don't know which windscreen to get, any help will be appreciated in that department. This bike is a rush , just knowing it's 50 mph faster then the plane I once owned is awesome.

I have owned 3 busa's and have loved everyone of them, I've taken many trips of 300 to 500 miles on all of them, I also had a riser and an upgraded seat.  But because of a old back injury I looked for a bike with more rider comfort. I just bought a 05 blue FJR 1300, You can't say enough great things about the machine, Gobbs of power, smooth as silk, handles more solidly than any busa I've ridden, sit up riding position, plenty of gas capacity, and agressive sport looks,  Much better than any ST 1300.  But guess what?  It aint a busa, and i aint satisfied. The Yamaha is great, but it's a little boring if u are use to the raw power of the busa. My advice, unless u are willing to sacrifice a great deal of throttle twisting adrenalin, get a busa and make it work for u, No, it won't be all the things u want, but it will make up for it by being the baddest bike out there. If u  would like to try a FJR, contact me, Mine's for sale.  joeystclairiii@aol.com

Let me start by saying that comfort is an individual thing. A bike that's comfortable for me might be all wrong for you. Having said that, here are some things I have done that absolutely transformed my 'Busa in terms of all-day comfort:

1. Installed a combination of GenMar Risers (3/4") and Heli-Bars
2. Installed a Zero Gravity Double-Bubble windscreen for better wind protection and a better view of the gauges
3. Installed Pro-Tech slash cut foot pegs. This opened up the seat-to-peg distance by a full inch. BIG improvement!
4. Installed a Throttle Rocker on the grip for reduced fatigue

This winter I plan to have the seat redone. The stock seat has excellent foam, but has a crowned contour that I don't especially like. A dished shape is much better for me.

Try these mods, and I think you will be well satisfied.

Why dont you buy a Cadillac if you want comfort, and if you want excitement buy a Pontiac! Dont post another thing here until you get a 'Busa O.K.

Why dont you buy a Cadillac if you want comfort, and if you want excitement buy a Pontiac! Dont post another thing here until you get a 'Busa O.K.
Ignore him, he drives a Yugo.

My bike is dead stock. I'm 6'3", 245 lbs. and have knocked down 300 mile days on more than one occasion with no issues - with a full load of soft baggage (tank bag, saddle bags, tail bag).

My only issue is the fact that with my feet on the front pegs I can't comfortably tuck under the windscreen, and certainly can't tuck under it for an ultra-high-speed blast at all. On the rear pegs (without the bags, obviously...) I can tuck pretty well, but shifting is... well... problematic.

Double-bubble would help, but I'm not that worried about it.

Thanks guys. Dealer says the bike should be here in the next couple of weeks. I am looking foward to the test ride with baited breath! You guys have been very helpful.

I had an FJ 1200 (pre FJR) with a corbin seat and a Honda CBR 1000 (pre Blackbird), and the Busa is more comfortable than both of them. The Busa also handles better and is faster. You won't get ultimate comfort like a cruiser, but you will be able to put on some serious miles if you want. There is a reason they call the Busa SPORT touring. The ST and FJR are TOURING sport bikes. If you understand the distinction, you will know what to buy to suit your application..

Back