Old friend killed

Big Bo

Registered
In 1975 or 1976, I met this guy with long arms. He was from a small town nearby. We were both going to the local JC. I was a bicycle rider and he rode a bit, not too much. He loved football. We would hand out at the local park drinking a few beers and sometimes playing basketball. Deacon Turner was not very good at basketball. Football was his love.

I did not know that he was a star on the JC football team. He left and went to San Diego to play college football. The next thing I know Deacon was playing for the Bengals. In the summer he would come back to Bakersfield and we would hang and talk about football and life.

Deacon`s career was short, only a few years. Today I heard on the news that a local sheriff shot and killed Deacon. R.I.P. my friend.

Ex-NFL player dies after early-morning fight with Sheriff's officers

BY JAMES BURGER, Californian staff writer
jburger@bakersfield.com | Sunday, Jul 10 2011 01:54 PM

Last Updated Sunday, Jul 10 2011 06:51 PM

David “Deacon†Turner was a star running back at Shafter High School, Bakersfield College and the San Diego State University before he played three seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals from 1978 to 1980.

But he’d been down on his luck since then — out of work and repeatedly in trouble with the law throughout the ‘80’s, 90’s and 2000’s according to Kern County Superior Court online records.

On Sunday morning, the man that his former Bakersfield College coach Gerry Collis said looked like boxer Joe Frazier, got into an altercation with Kern County Sheriff’s deputies that ended when Deputy Wesley Kraft fatally shot the former NFL player outside an east Bakersfield convinience store.

“He’s the best running back I coached at BC, but heck I only coached there 27 years,†Collis said.

Collis, who’d kept in touch with Turner and tried to help him get on his feet, said his former player was hoping to get some sort of retirement from the NFL.

“He was a marvelous kid. I loved that kid,†Collis said. “He called me a couple times and I didn’t get back to him. I wish I had now.â€

Sheriff’s reports state that shooting occurred after deputies responded to reports of 10 to 15 juveniles asking adults to purchase alcohol and cigarettes for them at the busy store at the corner of Niles Street and Mt. Vernon Avenue.

According to Sheriff’s Lt. Bart Camps, the Fastrip is the only store in that neighborhood that is open that late and can be very busy at night and early in the morning.

When deputies arrived at the store they encountered David Lee Turner, 56, coming out of the store with his 19 year-old son, a 16-year-old juvenile and bags of items Turner had just purchased, including alcohol.

Deputies detained Turner and the two teens while they investigated the situation. According to reports, Turner first complied with deputies’ directions but then attempted to leave the area.

When deputies tried to stop Turner from leaving, he fought with them, Sheriff’s reports stated.

During the scuffle Deputy Aaron Nadal, who has worked for the Sheriff’s Department for three years, was reportedly hit in the back of the head with a bag containing two 24-ounce cans of beer.

Deputy Wesley Kraft, a four year veteran of the Sheriff’s Department, responded by drawing his handgun and firing at Turner twice. Turner was struck and fell to the ground.

He was rushed to Kern Medical Center nearby, where he died around two hours later.
Collis said the situation just didn’t sound like the David Turner he knew.

“It is not like him. He was not a trouble-maker,†Collis said. “The deputy must have provoked him.â€
Nadal was taken to Memorial Hospital where he was treated for his injuries and released.

Sheriff’s reports state the incident is under investigation by Sheriff’s detectives and Kraft has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

R.I.P. Surely they could have overpowered him or something. Of course don't know the full details but that seemed terrible just shooting the guy like that.

Local news says the store has security video and is waiting for the investigation to release the footage. Deacon`s son said his dad asked the officer if he was under arrest? Officer said no, so father and son were leaving and shots rang out.

In a few days things will clear up.

Thanks folks. I have not seen Deacon in over 20 yrs. It was a shock to hear on the news of his death.

I used to live in the taser capital of the world...Houston. Since I've been in Bako I've seen a lot (per capita) of police shootings. Two stand out where the same cop shot 2 people in separate instances under very similar scenarios. Who knows. In this case, it was a gas station. If there is truth to either side of the story, the video should back it up. Still, it was a guy getting shot for resisting arrest at best. I kinda wish they would go tase happy here like Houston. A lot more people get tased unfairly, but a lot less people get shot by cops.

Since I've been in Bako I've seen a lot (per capita) of police shootings.

Like the woman from the LA area that was despondent, and sitting in her vehicle with a gun pointing at her head. She had her problems. This was time number two for her doing this. SWAT was called out, and the roads closed. This happened in an area where the closest house was maybe 1/2 mile, or more away. She sat in her car for a few hours. LEO said she pointed a gun at an officer is why a SWAT team member shot and killed her. It was live on the NEWS, we could not see an officer within 75 yards of her when she was killed.

I am not saying Deacon was innocent.

Around here it well known that if you get jiggy with the cops, they will fire on you.

Years ago the saying was in Bakersfield, the COPS would shoot, then say halt or I will fire.

Alcohol plays a part in much deaths besides driving. Sad story. Prayers to his family.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sad when someone dies at the hands of a cop when they didn't have to. Not trying to bash because I know the cops only do what they are trained to do and what they feel is acceptable for the department and DA.

Back