Lost an old friend yesterday,

stkr00

Slower Traffic Keep Right ! ! &#
Donating Member
Registered
I got home from work yesterday, and I saw the wife's car in the driveway. I went inside, but I couldn't find her. When I looked outside, I saw her sitting in the snow next to our 14 year old Golden Retriever, Zach, and she was crying.

She had gotten him outside, but couldn't get him back in the house. He wouldn't/couldn't move himself. He's been having a hard time lately and we knew this day was coming, but didn't figure it would come this quick. He was just up and around (sort of) the other day.

I carried him into the house, and then we made the decision to not prolong his pain any more. My wife sat with him on the floor while I called the Vet. We spent some time with him, and then I had to carry him to the truck. When we got to the Vet's, I carried him inside and they took me back to the room they have set up for this. I laid him on the couch and sat next to him. He hasn't been able to get up on a couch for quite some time now, so I figured he might enjoy it as his last resting place. The vet was very professional, and compasionate about the process, but it still hurts just thinking about letting him go. I know he's better off now, but it's not easy.

A little history about Zach:

I got him as my Father's Day present back in 1991. He was my buddy. This was shortly after I lost my brother in October 1990, so he became a source of comfort. He was not your typical Golden Retriever...He grew to be about 110 pounds and wasn't fat. He was a horse. Dam Puppy Chow! He was always gentle and never showed a tooth to anyone...even small children that pulled his hair. He was always playful, and energetic, so the last couple of years have been hard watching him deteriorate.

He was a good dog, and I'll miss him very much.

Can't type anymore...pics tonight.
sad.gif

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss...I went through the same thing with my huskey about five years ago. She had gotten cancer and we had to put her to sleep after she lost control of her back legs and couldn't get up anymore. We had her for almost 9 years...very tough decision to put a loved one down like that but I know that she's now able to run and play in heaven like the puppy she once was.

My condolences to your family...
sad.gif

sad.gif

That's so sad...it's so hard because they become a huge part of your family and your life. I've always wanted to have just one pet that I didn't have to decide to put down...you know, they go peacefully in their sleep type of deal...it hurts to make that decision, but it's best if they're suffering...you did what you needed to for an old friend...
sad.gif

My Danes are getting up in age, so I am already trying to prepare myself for the day. Maggie will be 10 in May, and Scooby will be 8 this summer. I know they're both well past the half-way mark of life for their breed.

sad.gif

Sorry to hear about losing your Buddy. Had a Shep/Husky mix for 15 years when I had to make the same decision because of cancer and blindness. Sat next to him when the Vet injected him and was looking in his eyes when he took his last breath, went peacefully. Still shed a tear or two when I think of him and the fun we had. Time heals the pain, but memories keep the love.

Sorry to hear about your loss.
down.gif
Our pets have always been a very big part of the family and it is hard to let go.

Sorry to hear it, stkr. Your thoughts show you to be a decent, caring person. Zach had a good life because of it. Take care and may God bless.

Sorry for your loss Bro, I had to go thru this myself. It still brings a tear to my eye when I think about it.  So here is a Poem for your Zach.

I sit and try to write the words, I want your heart to hear.
Hoping to find some comfort, in the fact that your not here.
I look out into the open field, that you once occupied,
Knowing now that field is empty, because my love, you've died.
I do believe with all my heart, that your soul has gone to be,
With all the other angel dogs, that you were meant to see.
We will have to stay behind, until God calls us too,
So do not be afraid, that he's only called for you.
The water is still, in the pond that you played,
And your bed is so empty, where your pretty head laid.
Our bed is to empty, where you once laid between,
the two people who LOVED you and now only dream,
That one day our eyes will shut one last time,
and you will come greet us, angel of mine.
Until then, I'll keep trying to see through my tears,
with memories you left us, to reflect through the years.
We'll never forget one minute we spent,
of loving and laughing, of places we went.
And I dread the day that your scent disappears,
for it's "proof" to me, that you were just here!
But one day will come, when we'll start to see through,
the pain of the moment, and remember just "you".
Now you go and play, and look down when you can,
remembering we love you, and this isn't the end.

<!--EDIT|ridercoach
Reason for Edit: None given...|1106670155 -->

So sorry about your loss Jim. Pets really do become parts of our families. It's hard to watch 'em go...
sad.gif
Can't wait to see the pics from the good times with Zach.
wink.gif
I also meant to say... Try you best to celebrate his wonderful life with you rather than focusing on his death. Makes it a little easier sometimes.
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1106671229 -->

wink.gif

sad.gif
I'm very sorry for the loss of your family member~ It's never an easy thing to deal with, but rest assured you did the right thing~
Some people just don't understand how much a pet can become a family member and how hard it is on those that have to let them go~ I've got a little memorial tattooed on my shoulder blade and when people see it they ask.."Who was Rocky?"~ When I tell them it was one of my best friends and the best damn dog I've ever shared company with, some will roll their eys and others will laugh~ Fug 'em all.. they just don't get it~
I share in the pain you and your wife are feeling right now~ It will get better with time~
RIP Zach...
sad.gif

sad.gif

Sorry to hear about your loss. They definately are part of the family. Take care.

I'm a little short on time due to a meeting, but wanted to post a few pics of Zach. I'll go back through and re-read the replies tonight.

Thanks for all the kind words. It helps a lot
beerchug.gif

Here's the "Old Man" trying to teach the pup how the chew a toy.
laugh.gif

Here's the pup (Harley), trying to eat like Zach.

Here's our crew beggin for treats. The wife has them all spoiled.

Here's the crew in their normal lounging spot. The overstuffed leather sofa that WE don't get to use.

Here's one of my favorites. The "Old Man" and the pup sleeping on the floor. He was a gentle giant.

Sleep well my friend
sad.gif

Thanks again for the kind words, and my appologies to the dial-up people.

I've never owned a pet of my own outside of cats we had back at my mom's place but I know how it hurts to lose a pet. One of my good friends had a dog that I loved to play with and I got to watch him grow over the years but he developed some kind of cancer and it was spreading quickly so he went ahead and had a vet come to the house. The vet was really kind. She told my friend that if he wanted to he could cook up something good for her (the dog) to eat. My friend thought it would be great. So we cooked up hamburgers, steaks and hotdogs and planned a small get together with the family and he invited me over. This time the dog got to join us in the dinner
smile.gif
I'll never forget how happy she was that evening...despite her being in pain to move around her tail wagged and she was tryin her best to enjoy the moment. After the vet gave her a shot in her leg to make her sleepy. Once she fell asleep they got her a second shot and she went.

Sometimes I find myself too scared to get attached to anyone in fear of losing them....My friend was strong about it. I think I mourned more for his dog then he did.

I'll send a prayer for him. I know he's chillin upstairs waiting for us to be lucky enough to be where he is right now.

That's a tough gig brother. I feel you...I really do. That is a pain like no other. I lost my little buddy just over a year ago. He was truly an old friend. He developed diabetes early on and I administered insulin injections to him twice a day for about 4 years. His breath smelled as if he was rotting from the inside out, but I still loved his kisses. The hardest thing was that the night before he wasn't acting right. I got home late from work, I was tired and hungry, and I pretty much blew him off. I figured that I could just deal with him the next morning. The next morning comes and I am awakened by his heavy panting. I jumped up to see what was wrong and he was acting completely strung out. My first conclusion was that his insulin was off, but he couldn't move his hind legs, he was paralyzed from the mid-back down. We tried feeding him peanut butter, sugary things to get his blood sugar back up, he wasn't interested. That's when I knew things were bad. We rushed him to the closest 24 hour vet and when I tried to talk to the lady at the counter I couldn't speak...not one word. I stood there in tears, holding my little buddy, unable to talk. The vet came out and I told her the basics. She took Tiny from me and took him in the back to ease his pain and assess his situation. She came out a few minutes later and I had gathered myself enough to explain his situation, the diabetes, the cataracts so bad in both eyes that he was completely blind, but he was still the most kind hearted, fun, loyal, unconditionally loving puppy in the world. All of that wasn't going to help him now. Before we even left for the animal hospital I knew what the outcome was going to be.The vet brought Tiny to us and we were able to spend a few minutes with him before she brought in his 'cocktail'. We had made the decision to put my little buddy out of his pain, his suffering. I have never felt more alive than when I watched her inject that poison into his iv. 8 seconds later I never felt so empty, so disappointed in myself for letting my litle buddy down, so heartless for letting this stranger inject him with chemicals that would stop his heart. I had never been through something like this before so I did not know what to expect, nor did I know just how quickly his heart would stop. As quickly as she could remove her syringe from his iv and hold her stethoscope to his chest he was gone. Her words will haunt me for a long time..."His heart has stopped." My heart was broken and a hole formed that I thought might be filled with the birth of my son. He was born just over a month later...beautiful baby boy, Cole, 10 fingers, 10 toes, his daddy's chin, the only problem was that he was born 5 months too early. I never even got to hear my baby boy cry once. 2 holes in 2 months. I wanted to die, absolutely afraid to go on, afraid of what else was going to happen. That was a year ago and I am still trying to figure things out. Thanks for letting me share. -D

Sorry bout Zach.
I know how you feel. I had to put down a cat last Nov. We had her for 14 years. We still grieve, and will for some time.

It's so hard to lose a dog that only gave unconditional love in the purest form. I had 2 goldens so far, awsome dogs, great personalities, goof balls and snugglers. No matter how bad my day was she was always there to greet me with that crazy wagging tail. Deeply sorry to hear of your loss. Hang in there pal.

Sorry for your loss man. I know how it feels to loose a fury companion after several years in the family. They're truely amazing animals and so loyal. Again sorry for the tough time, but thanks for sharing with us.

God bless,
BD

Back