Modding the new Pashnit Gen 3 Busa

pashnit

Donating Member
Site Sponsor
Registered
Odd confession.

I bought my fourth Hayabusa completely sight unseen. I hadn't even seen a Gen3 in person at a dealer or in the wild, till this one arrived at my house. Likely, that didn't matter.

I knew I was going to buy this bike as soon as Suzuki announced the bike in the summer of 2021. The night before the 'big reveal' I was so excited, I could barely sleep. That excited. But the plan was always to buy a one-year-old model & watch the price come down in a dramatic way that first year. And it did. If you follow my journey, you likely already know this story. After modding my last Gen 2 Hayabusa for sport-touring duties, this will be my fourth Hayabusa. When you buy the same bike four times, there has to be something very special about this motorcycle. I've always said it does all things well.

There were several false starts while watching the price come down over the last year. After months of hunting for a used 2022 titled in California (it’s an arduous process to get out-of-state bikes titled and plated here), I found a black/gold 2022 in SoCal, but the owner had de-badged it and removed the stock exhaust cans but didn’t replace them. Wait, what?

Then I found another bone-stock one-year-old 2022 black/gold Hayabusa with 126 miles on it via Craigs List in San Diego. You read that right, 126. The guy rode it home, and parked it for a year. After making arrangements to purchase it, a day before we were supposed to leave to go pick it up, the seller said they changed their minds and were going to keep it. This was after it sat on CL for weeks with zero interest at $17k.

Then a one-year-old bone stock 2022 black/gold Hayabusa popped up in Oregon for $15k with 4000 miles on it, that was when the price was just right.

Leave it to the Org Family to come through and put me in contact with a seller/org member in Virginia, since you all knew I was looking for something very specific.

The bike in Virginia:
Virginia-3.jpg

This is the third time I've bought a motorcycle from out-of-state and shipped it to myself sight unseen. I've also bought bikes out of Iowa & Minnesota. Plus used HaulBikes.com three times for all three purchases.

Virginia-4-2.jpg

Arriving at my house after waiting almost four months for this bike to transit the nation (long story) from our ORG member in Virginia.
First time I've seen the bike. It's gorgeous & perfect. The bike has 1500 miles on it.

20230124_171226.JPG

Here's the good news: The previous owner did all the right mods & likely spent $3k on these mods. The entire bike is covered in clear racer tape to protect the finish. You don't notice it till you're real close up.
Factory heated grips are installed
The stock seat is cut/re-shaped
Zero Gravity dark smoke double bubble
1" Riser under the triple tree
Rear fender delete
RG Radiator screens top & bottom
Moore Mafia ECU Flash with QuickShifter Mod
Quad Lock phone mount & wireless charger
And that 4-in-1 Akrapovic carbon fiber pipe. Nice.

Here's my short mod list since you asked:
Bagster (of course!)
Givi Rack & Top Case (sorry purists)
Kickstand mod
Spare fuel MSR Fuel Canister
T-Rex No-cut Sliders
Skene rear Light Kit
Clearwater Darla Lights
Racer pegs
There's going to be more, but I feel like I need to put a couple of thousand miles on the bike and then figure out what else it needs.

The plan for 2023 is to put 15,000 miles on this bike and spend 45 days on the road this year.

Odd confession.

I bought my fourth Hayabusa completely sight unseen. I hadn't even seen a Gen3 in person at a dealer or in the wild, till this one arrived at my house. Likely, that didn't matter.

I knew I was going to buy this bike as soon as Suzuki announced the bike in the summer of 2021. The night before the 'big reveal' I was so excited, I could barely sleep. That excited. But the plan was always to buy a one-year-old model & watch the price come down in a dramatic way that first year. And it did. If you follow my journey, you likely already know this story. After modding my last Gen 2 Hayabusa for sport-touring duties, this will be my fourth Hayabusa. When you buy the same bike four times, there has to be something very special about this motorcycle. I've always said it does all things well.

There were several false starts while watching the price come down over the last year. After months of hunting for a used 2022 titled in California (it’s an arduous process to get out-of-state bikes titled and plated here), I found a black/gold 2022 in SoCal, but the owner had de-badged it and removed the stock exhaust cans but didn’t replace them. Wait, what?

Then I found another bone-stock one-year-old 2022 black/gold Hayabusa with 126 miles on it via Craigs List in San Diego. You read that right, 126. The guy rode it home, and parked it for a year. After making arrangements to purchase it, a day before we were supposed to leave to go pick it up, the seller said they changed their minds and were going to keep it. This was after it sat on CL for weeks with zero interest at $17k.

Then a one-year-old bone stock 2022 black/gold Hayabusa popped up in Oregon for $15k with 4000 miles on it, that was when the price was just right.

Leave it to the Org Family to come through and put me in contact with a seller/org member in Virginia, since you all knew I was looking for something very specific.

The bike in Virginia:
View attachment 1663109

This is the third time I've bought a motorcycle from out-of-state and shipped it to myself sight unseen. I've also bought bikes out of Iowa & Minnesota. Plus used HaulBikes.com three times for all three purchases.

View attachment 1663110

Arriving at my house after waiting almost four months for this bike to transit the nation (long story) from our ORG member in Virginia.
First time I've seen the bike. It's gorgeous & perfect. The bike has 1500 miles on it.

View attachment 1663112

Here's the good news: The previous owner did all the right mods & likely spent $3k on these mods. The entire bike is covered in clear racer tape to protect the finish. You don't notice it till you're real close up.
Factory heated grips are installed
The stock seat is cut/re-shaped
Zero Gravity dark smoke double bubble
1" Riser under the triple tree
Rear fender delete
RG Radiator screens top & bottom
Moore Mafia ECU Flash with QuickShifter Mod
Quad Lock phone mount & wireless charger
And that 4-in-1 Akrapovic carbon fiber pipe. Nice.

Here's my short mod list since you asked:
Bagster (of course!)
Givi Rack & Top Case (sorry purists)
Kickstand mod
Spare fuel MSR Fuel Canister
T-Rex No-cut Sliders
Skene rear Light Kit
Clearwater Darla Lights
Racer pegs
There's going to be more, but I feel like I need to put a couple of thousand miles on the bike and then figure out what else it needs.

The plan for 2023 is to put 15,000 miles on this bike and spend 45 days on the road this year.
Heartiest Congratulations....!!

Where in CA are you, I’m in Temecula and have an ever growing list of Busa dudes I cruise with if you’re ever around.

Based from Sacramento, most of our motorcycle tours are in the Sierra Nevada Range, NorCal and Central Coast regions. I'm not hard to find. ;)

Last edited:
This entire bike is covered in clear film to protect the clear coat and finish.

20230125_092343.JPG

You can kinda see the stick on film. Not sure what it's called. I looked it up and to have a shop do this to your bike is about $300. Nice mod.

20230125_092356.JPG

And that camo. Not my style, but we're gonna cover the tank with a Bagster and I can always buy a new hump.

I tried peeling it off, but nope, it's on there permanently.

20230125_092312.JPG

20230125_092319.JPG

My previous Busa had a Mag-Knight. The old timers might recognize this, but you don't see these very often anymore.
Still in business: Magnetic Motorcycle Tank Pads, Tank Protectors & Bras Mag-Knight

DSC01744.jpg

DSC01785.jpg

DSC01787.jpg

Last edited:
You would think the worry about rocks and radiators is rather remote. And it likely is. But it has happened to us while touring. This was in Death Valley. We pull into Badwater (lowest point in the United States, 282 ft below sea level) and the KTM is leaking radiator fluid. Well, that's not good.

Marc had two tiny holes in his radiator from rocks thrown up from the bikes in front of him. How to fix? We're in Death Valley, miles from anything. You can see the holes.

Chewing gum. And it worked. Crazy. He made it across the state like this.

DSC05973-2.jpg

DSC05973-1.jpg

And that camo. Not my style, but we're gonna cover the tank with a Bagster and I can always buy a new hump.

I tried peeling it off, but nope, it's on there permanently.

View attachment 1663124

View attachment 1663125

My previous Busa had a Mag-Knight. The old timers might recognize this, but you don't see these very often anymore.
Still in business: Magnetic Motorcycle Tank Pads, Tank Protectors & Bras Mag-Knight

View attachment 1663127

View attachment 1663128

View attachment 1663129

Wow, I didn't know they were still around.
I had one on my 02 Gsxr1k

This entire bike is covered in clear film to protect the clear coat and finish.

View attachment 1663122

You can kinda see the stick on film. Not sure what it's called. I looked it up and to have a shop do this to your bike is about $300. Nice mod.

View attachment 1663123
One thing I was going to say, Tim, you're going to enjoy the PPF or race tape, it adds to the luster, it's rub and bump proof, and you can enjoy your finish to be lasting and bug free impact for a long time.

To have the whole bike custom cut was a bit expensive, $300 was not my experience. I wish. Although the guy that did mine damn if he didn't cover everything and turned out great. It made the pearl metallic super deep.

Yes, indeed, on the Bagster tank protector. Much of what I've done to my bike I learned from you years ago. I figured a guy like you that spends so much time in the saddle knows his stuff.

Last edited:
Skene Rear Light Kit

Buddy of mine has Skene Lights on all his bikes: Skene Lights

When he’s following me and I glance back in my mirrors, his fork mounted light kit is super bright. And it’s pulsing. Or looks like it’s flickering. It’s super noticeable. And that's the idea. The LED lights flicker at a pulse rate that disappears when you look at the lights directly. But when you look at them from any direction other than head on, they flicker.

I have always had brake light modulators on all my bikes, going back 30 years, but this kit is likely the most advanced one I’ve used. This one is not cheap, modulators can be bought for $40 bucks for the basic ones, this rear kit was more like $200 shipped. Laws vary by state on brake light modulators, but here in California, the general idea is the brake light pulses multiple times then goes solid. That’s legal here. And these modulators are programmable, so you can have them pulse non-stop while the brakes are on, or pulse then solid. Whatever works for you. The kit came with some basic brackets that made install super-simple to the license plate bolts.

20230126_190440.JPG

This is the kit I got: All the bells & whistles, but no decelerometer

Skene P3 Lights with Turn Signals-P3-TS

20230126_190422.JPG

I wanted a kit that wires into everything, so this particular kit is also brake lights, turn signals, hazards, and running lamps all in one. The trick for me is always figuring out the wiring diagram and getting it to work the first time. I’m very colorblind, so wiring is challenging, but the kit was simple to install and worked perfect the first time out.

The brain
20230127_190150.JPG

Last edited:
I've used Signal Dynamics & Healtech modules in previous bikes. They're all good. But the ability to do everything, turn, brake, hazards is perfect.

Signal Dynamics BackOff brake light module on my Z1000
DSC05672-2.jpg

DSC00086.jpg

Healtech Brake Light Pro module

DSC01948.jpg

Last edited:
Back