Modding the new Pashnit Gen 3 Busa

hyper-lights-4.JPG

hyper-lights-5.JPG

hyper-lights-6.JPG

Very nice purchase, but what a shame about that camo. I like the Akrapovic, looks very good on a Gen 3.
Good luck with it and have a nice ride.

Clearwater Lights

www.clearwaterlights.com

Rear lighting complete, moving to the front: Once I got the Skene Kit on, it was time to tackle the Clearwater Darla Light kit. I’ve had this same kit on four motorcycles, and it’s paid for itself many times over. They are top-o-the-line lights. Milled from solid billet aluminum with bike-specific brackets. Plus, Clearwater is based (and manufactured) in Sacramento, so they are local to me. Ever a problem with the kit, run over to their shop, and they take care of it. Having the very best is not cheap. This kit will run you around $600 but if you amortize that over multiple bikes, many years of use plus 10s of thousands of miles, they pay for themselves. Once you have at set, just pull them off and put them on the next bike. I’ve done that four times already. They are super bright and come with a ‘volume control’ to adjust the brightness.

Hmm, which wire goes where
20230204_173026.JPG

clearwater-2.jpg

Meeting with the owner Glenn and learning how they mill the housing out of solid billet aluminum bar stock. Glenn & I met when he signed up for one of my motorcycle tours & he told me all about a new company he was building for motorcyclists. Glenn had been in the high-end hi-fi speaker business for many years & was moving into motorcycle lighting. That Clearwater has become a household name with bikers is an indication of their quality, longevity and the word of mouth Glenn has managed to accomplish.

Clearwater-33.JPG

Dsc08374_1024.jpg

That's a lot of light kits

Clearwater-34.JPG

Glenn wanted to know if he could build me a new headlight. I settled for the first light kit on a Hayabusa.

Clearwater-35.JPG

Last edited:
The way the Clearwater Kit for the Hayabusa works, it uses a bike specific bracket & fender mount bolts.

exploded-Busa.jpg

The key to the installation is the shoulder washers that allow the kit to mount snugly to the plastic fender of the Hayabusa, but attach to the fork. In case you're wondering if it's smart to attach a light kit to the fork and have that vibration affect the kit, no issues.

20230202_201455.JPG

Zero Issues over the last 15 years. And they've been through some serious testing. Riding on washboard gravel roads with the Clearwater kit

Pict0348_clearwater.jpg

I quickly realized the Gen3 fender is thicker than the Gen2 fender at the mounting points. The bracket needs these spacers to move the bracket out so it never touches the stock Gen3 fender.

clearwater-12.jpg

So it was off to the hardware store (twice) for the correct length bolts.

20230204_093919.JPG

How strong is that bracket? A year ago, I was leading a motorcycle tour on Highway 25 and hit a turkey at speed. But I hit him with the Clearwater light, and the light went through the turkey. He exploded. I had turkey guts in my radiator I had to clean out, and the rider behind me got showered in feathers.

Called up Clearwater Lights & they sent me a new bracket, quick swap & good as new.

Clearwater-32.JPG

Thicker fender on Gen3.

20230204_151039.JPG

Doubled up the spacers, mocked it up & realized my bolts were not long enough. Nuts.

20230202_201537.JPG

Then I realized I couldn't figure out the wiring diagram. The kit & the color wires I had didn't match the wiring diagram I printed off their site. I even had wiring diagrams from 2010 and still didn't match. Finally, figured it out after a bit of consternation. .

clearwater-3.jpg

Last edited:
Doubled up my spacers and my local hardware store didn't have a hex head metric bolt long enough so these stainless steel bolts will have to work. Lots of loc-tite.

20230204_170655.JPG

The lights are bright white, but all of us run these yellow lens covers. The yellow color is super noticeable, and that's the idea.
I rarely ride at night. These lights are all about being seen.

Clearwater-21.JPG

Clearwater-23.JPG

The kit is attached directly to the battery, but it wires into the high beam wire so when bike is running, the lights come on & go off with the ignition. While the high beams are on, the lights go to full power, while the low beams are on, you can adjust the brightness via the 'volume control'

20230205_080021.JPG

Mocking up the wires, will it work?

20230205_080032.JPG

The key was tapping into the high beam wire. I did not want to take the nose off, so reaching up in here to figure out which wire is the high beam wire.

20230205_075840.JPG

T-Rex No-Cut Sliders

This was actually one of the first things I ordered for this bike after I got it.

20230204_123746.JPG

20230204_143947.JPG

While I've got the side fairings off, figured I'll install the T-Rex No-Cut Sliders also. I became a fan of these after buying a used set off eBay for the Gen2 years ago.

Back